Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default My 2014 NAMM Show Report

is now posted.

Here's the direct link to the report (PDF):
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...how_report.pdf

Visit the Trade Show Reports section of my web page for other shows:
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com...-show-reports/

By the way, lately when I go to my own web page, I see a block with a
note saying something about how your readers may see an occasional ad
here. I guess I don't get to see the ads because it knows I'm the site
owner, but I'm curious as to what they're sticking in there. If you see
an ad, particularly one that's either really appropriate or really
inappropriate, let me know what it is. I don't solicit ads so whatever
is there gets put there by Wordpress in exchange for their free site
hosting and a site building tool that's easy enough for even me to use.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
is now posted.

Here's the direct link to the report (PDF):
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...how_report.pdf

Visit the Trade Show Reports section of my web page for other shows:
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com...-show-reports/

Thanks!

By the way, lately when I go to my own web page, I see a block with a note
saying something about how your readers may see an occasional ad here. I
guess I don't get to see the ads because it knows I'm the site owner, but
I'm curious as to what they're sticking in there. If you see an ad,
particularly one that's either really appropriate or really inappropriate,
let me know what it is. I don't solicit ads so whatever is there gets put
there by Wordpress in exchange for their free site hosting and a site
building tool that's easy enough for even me to use.

No visible ads from my end.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

It wasn't easy,

Yes, doing a Google search is just so incredibly complex!

You wish to appear to be intellectually rigorous, what with your
theories of how sound and human hearing works, you act as if you should
be taken seriously, and then you think finding what's behind an acronym
difficult?

NAMM put ito the little window brings up the org the very first item.

I doubt you understand how questionable the big stuff looks when one
cannot manage the tiny things.

but I finally stumbled across the meaning of it: NAMM -
National Association of Music Merchants!

That's a good boy! Now, milk and cookies and off to bed with you!

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/3/2014 2:51 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
It wasn't easy, but I finally stumbled across the meaning of it: NAMM -
National Association of Music Merchants!

Most people around here know what the NAMM show is, and don't really
care what the acronym stands for. Do you feel better now?

Several years ago, they tried to change things, but culture wouldn't
have any part of it. The name of the organization didn't change from
NAMM, but instead of "The NAMM Show" they wanted it called "The
International Music Marketplace." It didn't get any traction, and now
you can go to http://www.thenammshow.com and read about the show, and
find a link to the organization.

They have a really cool museum, too.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/02/2014 1:34 a.m., Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/3/2014 2:51 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
It wasn't easy, but I finally stumbled across the meaning of it: NAMM -
National Association of Music Merchants!

Most people around here know what the NAMM show is, and don't really
care what the acronym stands for. Do you feel better now?

I'm dismayed. I always though it was a showcase for products made in
Vietnam.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/4/2014 3:14 PM, geoff wrote:
I'm dismayed. I always though it was a showcase for products made in
Vietnam.

Is China close enough?

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/02/2014 11:49 a.m., Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/4/2014 3:14 PM, geoff wrote:
I'm dismayed. I always though it was a showcase for products made in
Vietnam.

Is China close enough?

Gave up trying to find a way to inveigle that into my post. Vietnam
North maybe ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

It wasn't easy,

Yes, doing a Google search is just so incredibly complex!

You wish to appear to be intellectually rigorous, what with your
theories of how sound and human hearing works, you act as if you should
be taken seriously, and then you think finding what's behind an acronym
difficult?

NAMM put ito the little window brings up the org the very first item.

I doubt you understand how questionable the big stuff looks when one
cannot manage the tiny things.

but I finally stumbled across the meaning of it: NAMM -
National Association of Music Merchants!

That's a good boy! Now, milk and cookies and off to bed with you!

OK, so you have turned nasty again. As I said, not only is the acronym not
defined in Mike's most excellent report, but it is hard to find in Google.
The first site listed is the Swee****er one, that talks all about the NAMM
show without telling us what it is. I just had to assume North American
Music Makers or some such.

It WAS defined in the next one, http://www.namm.org/about if you click on a
small print "About" in a bar above the picture.

Sorry I am not as familiar with NAMM as the rest of the group.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 2/3/2014 2:51 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
It wasn't easy, but I finally stumbled across the meaning of it: NAMM -
National Association of Music Merchants!

Most people around here know what the NAMM show is, and don't really care
what the acronym stands for. Do you feel better now?

Several years ago, they tried to change things, but culture wouldn't have
any part of it. The name of the organization didn't change from NAMM, but
instead of "The NAMM Show" they wanted it called "The International Music
Marketplace." It didn't get any traction, and now you can go to
http://www.thenammshow.com and read about the show, and find a link to the
organization.

They have a really cool museum, too.

Well, now I know, but I wouldn't expect that everyone is born knowing all
about a music merchants' organization. Suggest putting a sentence or two at
the beginning to explain to us non merchants, along with that link.

Gary

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 19:10:13 -0800, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

Well, now I know, but I wouldn't expect that everyone is born knowing all
about a music merchants' organization. Suggest putting a sentence or two at
the beginning to explain to us non merchants, along with that link.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

Google can be your friend. First hit on a NAMM search:

NAMM.org | believe in music
---------------------------

Mike Rivers has been doing (very informative) reports on the NAMM show here
on R-A-P for at least 20 years that I know of.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

[...]

Because you are too precious, too importnat, too lazy, or too stupid to
run a Google search, Gary? I mean WTF, we're here to be your servants? I
doubt that'll play well in the saloon.
'
Via history here we don't mind assuming most folks who show up have
professional recording and/or music production experience, or that they
are keen students looking for pointers, or that they are at least
sufficiently motivated to look up the meaning of a word or acronym.

How many of those have you now failed?

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/5/2014 10:10 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Well, now I know, but I wouldn't expect that everyone is born knowing all
about a music merchants' organization. Suggest putting a sentence or two at
the beginning to explain to us non merchants, along with that link.

I used to put a little bit about NAMM in the intro to my reports, but
I've neglected it recently because it's just one of those "Everyone
knows that" things - at least everyone who's sufficiently interested in
new music and audio gear being introduced to the marketplace. A lot of
people in pro audio don't know what AES is (some know what it stands for
but don't know what the organization does except put on a show for gear
lusters). I don't know what CEDIA stands for, but I know what they have
at their shows. I used to do work for NCTA (National Council of
Traditional Arts). Nobody asked what I was doing for the National Cable
Television Association or North Carolina Technology Association. It's
jargon, just like "mic" or "CD" (not a financial product)

If you care, you can find out easily. If you just want to criticize, do
it with your wallet. Contribute $1,000 to my "Send Mike To The NAMM
Show" fund and I'll be happy to write a paragraph about the organization
for you.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

[...]

Sorry Mike, I intended that not as "criticism" but just friendly chatter
between writers. I think I came up against this once before, and I finally
found it, but the NAMM acronym, or initialism, or whatever it is called, is
not one of those familiar to all. My point was not to criticize you for the
standard not defining your terms thing but to point out that even a Google
search doesn't reveal this one very easily, because everyone else assumes we
know what it is too! So instead of the words blazing across the top of the
organization's web site, it just says NAMM, believe in music. I finally
found the little "About" up above there and they tell us what it is in that
paragraph.

So if someone could tell Hank that I did Google it, which was the point of
my post, maybe he could face the day fresh. And yes, I think someone should
send you to these conventions. I can't believe you aren't writing for some
magazine and getting paid or in free or transportation or something. I wrote
about the INFOcomm for TPV a while back.

Google them up, Hank.

Gary

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 10:06:19 -0500 "Gary Eickmeier"
wrote in article LtNIu.9892$vk5.4157
@fx03.iad

[...]

Just for fun, type this into a Google search box

definition: namm

and see what you get. That's what I did, because I didn't know either.