grimreaper

Default DVD player as a transport?

I `m thinking of using Sony DVP-S725D as a transport... Has anyone tried it?

Ritz

grimreaper wrote:
I `m thinking of using Sony DVP-S725D as a transport... Has anyone tried it?

If it has coax or toslink out, why not? I use a DVD player as my
transport and it works just fine.

Cheers,

Ritz

grimreaper wrote:
Which DAC do you use?

Outlaw Audio 990. My system looks like this:

Outlaw 990 Preamp/DAC
Outlaw 755 5x200wpc power amp (300wpc into the Maggies)
Outlaw LFM-1 x 2 subwoofers
Outlaw interconnects
Monarchy DIP 24/96 jitter buster
Samsung DVD-HD841 DVD Player (also does DVD-A/ and SACD)
Canare 4S11 speaker cabling
Magnepan 1.6/QR mains
Definitive Technology BP-2 surrounds
Definitive Technology C-1 center
Sharp Aquos 32" LCD HDTV panel

I'm pretty happy with it so far, though I'm toying with the idea of
getting a Lyngdorf SA2175 (from the TACT people) digital amp for the
Maggies.

Cheers,

grimreaper

"Ritz" wrote in message
grimreaper wrote:
Which DAC do you use?

Outlaw Audio 990. My system looks like this:

Outlaw 990 Preamp/DAC
Outlaw 755 5x200wpc power amp (300wpc into the Maggies)
Outlaw LFM-1 x 2 subwoofers
Outlaw interconnects
Monarchy DIP 24/96 jitter buster
Samsung DVD-HD841 DVD Player (also does DVD-A/ and SACD)
Canare 4S11 speaker cabling
Magnepan 1.6/QR mains
Definitive Technology BP-2 surrounds
Definitive Technology C-1 center
Sharp Aquos 32" LCD HDTV panel

Nice! So, you use Samsung DVD as a transport? Did you try anything else in
this role? I read that Samsung DVDPs have really big jitter (~900ps)...

My system:

Onkyo amp 9911 Integra
Sony 5.1 receiver STR-DB-830QS
Sony DVD player DVP-S725D
Pioneer DVD player DV-444
Sony MDS-JB930QS MD deck
Acoustic Energy Aegis II front speakers
Sony SS-CNX7 center
Pioneer S-W110 subwoofer
small Pioneer speakers as rear
Toshiba 28zf26P 28" CRT 16:9 tv

The most important question is: is my system "high" enough to make an extra
DAC a reasonable investion...

Uptown Audio

What would you use as a DAC? That is what would matter most. I use a
Cambridge Audio DVD player as a transport for both music and movies,
but only because I have a nice DAC built into my Bryston preamp.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"grimreaper" wrote in message
I `m thinking of using Sony DVP-S725D as a transport... Has anyone
tried it?

Ritz

grimreaper wrote:
"Uptown Audio" wrote in message

What would you use as a DAC?

I was thinking of DIY. I`m not sure which project exactly... I just wanted
to know if it is worth it, or should I give 100USD into "new" speakers...

Perhaps I missed something, but where do you get a usable DAC for $100?
Where do you get PARTS to build your own usable DAC for $100?

If you've got $100 to spend, a couple bottles of wine will probably do a
lot more for your perceived quality of the music. 8-)

In general, you want to spend the lion's share of your budget on the
speakers. Then worry about source components and amps/pre-amps/processors.

Cheers,