chris hipkiss

Default DAT Mechanism

I have a Tascam DA302 DAT to DAT machine and number one deck has decided to eat tapes on a regular basis ..........I need to replace the deck ......Nearly £400.00 new( too much ,ouch!)...can anyone offer any help??

Laurence
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"chris hipkiss" wrote in message...

I have a Tascam DA302 DAT to DAT machine and number one deck
has decided to eat tapes on a regular basis ..........I need to replace the
deck .....Nearly £400.00 new( too much ,ouch!)...can anyone offer any help??

I trust you have performed the necessary cleaning proceedures (?).

You might also only be seeing the results of need for a mechanical adjustment,
which means shipping it back to TASCAM or an authorized service center would
save you a heap of cash.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Rick Ruskin

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:26:28 GMT, "chris hipkiss"
wrote:

I have a Tascam DA302 DAT to DAT machine and number one deck has decided to eat tapes on a regular basis ..........I need to replace the deck .....Nearly £400.00 new( too much ,ouch!)...can anyone offer any help??

Laurence

A good cleaning might clear the problem up. The crud on the guides
and capstan are the usual culprits on my DA-30.

Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
Scott Dorsey

chris hipkiss wrote:

I have a Tascam DA302 DAT to DAT machine and number one deck has decided =
to eat tapes on a regular basis ..........I need to replace the deck =
.....Nearly =A3400.00 new( too much ,ouch!)...can anyone offer any =
help??

Well, what is wrong with it? Why do you want to replace the whole thing?
When did it last get an annual PM?
chris hipkiss

Thanks David,

I have only cleaned the moving bits with contact cleaner so far.....not
wanting to get any stuff on the head that might cause probs.

I resisted the temptation to get in there with WD40

Some mechanical fault causing tapes not to load ,it just keeps throwing up
error message numbers 1 ,3,5 and its even given an 87 error message !!

I have taken the deck to bits so that I can see what is happening but to no
avail.

I have spoken to Tascam UK and they tell me that deck mechanism replacement
is the easiest answer.(£400.00)

Yes, it may be the easiest but its also the costliest !!

I was kinda hoping that someone would have a machine in the same condition
and I could purchase a good deck etc.

Mechanical adjustment sounds good, I didn`t know that the decks could be
adjusted??

Can you tell me more ?

Laurence

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in message

[...]

James Perrett

chris hipkiss wrote:

Thanks David,

I have only cleaned the moving bits with contact cleaner so far.....not
wanting to get any stuff on the head that might cause probs.

I resisted the temptation to get in there with WD40

Some mechanical fault causing tapes not to load ,it just keeps throwing up
error message numbers 1 ,3,5 and its even given an 87 error message !!

I have taken the deck to bits so that I can see what is happening but to no
avail.

I have spoken to Tascam UK and they tell me that deck mechanism replacement
is the easiest answer.(£400.00)

Yes, it may be the easiest but its also the costliest !!

Try talking to an independent repairer. They may know a few tricks that
Tascam wouldn't want to do (usually because they aren't guaranteed to
last as long as the officially approved repair). You can probably buy a
working used Tascam DA20 for little over £100 if necessary.

Cheers.

James.
Scott Dorsey

chris hipkiss wrote:
Thanks David,

I have only cleaned the moving bits with contact cleaner so far.....not
wanting to get any stuff on the head that might cause probs.

I resisted the temptation to get in there with WD40

STOP IMMEDIATELY! CALL A TECH RIGHT NOW.

DO not EVER use WD-40 in this stuff. DO NOT use contact cleaner to clean
the tape path. You have almost certainly made the problem worse. The
heads also need to be cleaned on a regular basis.

Some mechanical fault causing tapes not to load ,it just keeps throwing up
error message numbers 1 ,3,5 and its even given an 87 error message !!

You need to do regular PM on these machines. It's like changing the oil
on your car. If you don't change the oil, you'll wreck your engine. Get
this machine to a competent tech immediately and have him fix it.

I have spoken to Tascam UK and they tell me that deck mechanism replacement
is the easiest answer.(£400.00)

Yes, it may be the easiest but its also the costliest !!

Maybe not, it depends on what else you have done to wreck it now.

Mechanical adjustment sounds good, I didn`t know that the decks could be
adjusted??

These decks require CONSTANT cleaning and adjustment. The service manual
has a whole section on it. You will need a scope and an alignment tape,
and the alignment tape is a few hundred bucks but can be used on many
different machines. But if you are at the level of putting goddamn CONTACT
CLEANER in the tape path, it is time to put the machine down right now and
get a tech in.

Gareth Magennis

You don't need to replace the deck, you need to have it serviced. Tape
eating can be caused by lots of things, often a combination of them. Dirty
heads, pinch roller and guides, incorrect back tension, dirty loading
mechanism etc. etc. It's not something you can do yourself unless you have
alignment and torque tapes, a good scope and the know-how.

If you are in the UK I can do this for you, unless you have covered the
mechanism in some sort of gunk. That was a really bad idea. Send me and
email.

Gareth.

wrote:

I have a Tascam DA302 DAT to DAT machine and number one deck has decided
to eat tapes on a regular basis ..........I need to replace the deck
.....Nearly £400.00 new( too much ,ouch!)...can anyone offer any help??

Laurence

A good cleaning might clear the problem up. The crud on the guides
and capstan are the usual culprits on my DA-30.

Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

I resisted the temptation to get in there with WD40

STOP IMMEDIATELY! CALL A TECH RIGHT NOW.

I think Chris may have been in jest, with reference to our local WD-40 guy...

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"chris hipkiss" wrote in message . uk...
Thanks David,

I have only cleaned the moving bits with contact cleaner so far.....not
wanting to get any stuff on the head that might cause probs.

Well, be certain that you have used something that did not leave a
residue. You might want to go over it again with something like
alcohol to insure there is as little possible residue as possible.

I resisted the temptation to get in there with WD40

Ahh... been reading again, eh? bg

Some mechanical fault causing tapes not to load ,it just keeps throwing up
error message numbers 1 ,3,5 and its even given an 87 error message !!

Does it do this on both new tape as well as used?

I don't have my manual handy or time to check the web, but error 1 is the
most basic 'load' error. You can get this when there's a problem with
the tape (too tight even) or the shell, or when the mechanism fails to engage
the tape and wrap the head properly. I can usually lose this error by a few
seconds of FF or RW after restarting the DAT, or just reloading the tape
a second time.

I have taken the deck to bits so that I can see what is happening but to no
avail.

Have you inspected both transports *simultaneously* in order to compare
all of the moving parts on each deck? There's a small, white plastic sleeve
that surrounds one of the lifters that's sometimes apt to come lose if the deck
is turned upside down.

I have spoken to Tascam UK and they tell me that deck mechanism replacement
is the easiest answer.(£400.00)

I don't know if I buy that theory on a dual well DAT deck. The last time I sent
an DA-30 mk-II to Tascam, I got a complete alignment that included a couple
of new small parts, and a new D/A convertor chip. Shipping included, this
only ran be about $160 US.

I was kinda hoping that someone would have a machine in the same condition
and I could purchase a good deck etc.

Mechanical adjustment sounds good, I didn`t know that the decks could be
adjusted??

Well you're not supposed to... basically so they can make their service money,
but also because it takes some precise test equipment to do correctly.

Can you tell me more ?

Not really.... preventative maintenance by way of regular cleaning is my
only specialty. g I'm not afraid to use the Sony 'dry' head cleaning tapes
every so often (like before I start every new recording to DAT, I will exercise
the new tape by FFing to the end and rewinding to losen the 'pack', and then
run the dry tape cleaner for a few seconds before starting the project).

E-Bay is another 'out' for trying to save money on a brand new deck. DA-302s
are closing at around $400 US... look for a reputable seller with a return policy.

I still think a reliable service center could repair the problem if it's mechanical
in nature; and there's still the chance you might discover more when watching
both bays operate simultaneously.

Luck....

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

George Gleason

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

I resisted the temptation to get in there with WD40

STOP IMMEDIATELY! CALL A TECH RIGHT NOW.

I think Chris may have been in jest, with reference to our local WD-40 guy...

if its supposed to move but doesn't, use wd40
if it moves but shouldn't use duct tape
George

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"George Gleason" wrote in message...

if its supposed to move but doesn't, use wd40
if it moves but shouldn't use duct tape
George

I'll buy the duct tape part... but not the WD-40.... unless its a wheel bearing.

;-)

chris hipkiss

David,

The problem occurs on new and old tape, and once I have inserted the tape
and automatic load starts a very obvious "straining to get any further with
the process" noise emanates from the deck in question. Eject is disabled and
a mixture of error messages pop up.

I had to take the machine front off to get at the spring trigger mechanism
which opens the door. Having done this I can then remove the tapes ,or
rather what's left of them !!

I remove the cassette and miles of loose screwed up tape each time.

The white sleeve suggestion or something similar may well be the solution
and so after reading all of the great advice from the group (special thanks
to Scott, Gareth and yourself in particular) I have decided to put the
machine into professional hands (but not Tascam`s).

The WD40 was a joke !!

Even I wouldn`t use WD40.....It simply wouldn`t mix with the Paint Thinners
that I had used on my wire brush to clean the mechanism .

Thanks all,

[...]

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Mark Steven Brooks" wrote in message ...
I have the exact same problem with my SV-3800.
I took it twice to a repair person. Each time it worked for about an hour.
They then told me I would need to replace the whole drive for about 400
bucks. It seems like a waste of money for a format that is becoming obsolete.
But I hate having this 900 dollar machine sitting around doing nothing.

(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)

That's one reason I make a serious attempt at getting all of my
repairs on non-vintage equipment done by the manufacturer.
It's worth the freight... usually, nobody else does it better or
cheaper and replacement parts are always handy.

DM

Mark Steven Brooks

I make a serious attempt at getting all of my
repairs on non-vintage equipment done by the manufacturer.

Can one do this with Panasonic?
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
Scott Dorsey

Mark Steven Brooks wrote:
I have the exact same problem with my SV-3800.
I took it twice to a repair person. Each time it worked for about an hour.
They then told me I would need to replace the whole drive for about 400
bucks. It seems like a waste of money for a format that is becoming obsolete.
But I hate having this 900 dollar machine sitting around doing nothing.

So, send it to Eddie Ciletti or someone else who can actually fix these things
and who will do a serious burn-in to make sure they are actually fixed.

Richard Kuschel

Mark Steven Brooks wrote:
I have the exact same problem with my SV-3800.
I took it twice to a repair person. Each time it worked for about an hour.

They then told me I would need to replace the whole drive for about 400
bucks. It seems like a waste of money for a format that is becoming

obsolete.
But I hate having this 900 dollar machine sitting around doing nothing.

So, send it to Eddie Ciletti or someone else who can actually fix these
things
and who will do a serious burn-in to make sure they are actually fixed.

I've had decent results on my 3900's from NXT Generation.

The Tascam stuff I send back to TASCAM. They don't fix it right the first time,
but pay for express shipment both ways on the return.
Richard H. Kuschel
Mark Steven Brooks

I hate having this 900 dollar machine sitting around doing nothing.

So, send it to Eddie Ciletti or someone else who can actually fix these
things
and who will do a serious burn-in to make sure they are actually fixed.

Who?
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Mark Steven Brooks" wrote in message ...

I hate having this 900 dollar machine sitting around doing nothing.

So, send it to Eddie Ciletti or someone else who can actually fix these things
and who will do a serious burn-in to make sure they are actually fixed.

Who?
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)

http://www.tangible-technology.com/

DM

Scott Dorsey

Mark Steven Brooks wrote:
I hate having this 900 dollar machine sitting around doing nothing.

So, send it to Eddie Ciletti or someone else who can actually fix these
things
and who will do a serious burn-in to make sure they are actually fixed.

Who?

Eddie is good. NXT Gneeration is good too and probably will work on those.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] miggymannsr@gmail.com is offline

I have 4 Refurbished tascam DA-302 decks and most of the problems I've faced all been fixed with a good cleaning, proper lube job and new drive belts.

3 of them are in YouTube video named "3 tascam DA-302 units working together"

The problem I'm facing now is that these belts have become even more rare than the machines themselves.

These will continue to pop up for sale even cheaper than before since the belts are Soo hard to find.

What I would do is, look for a set of replacement belts, then look for a DA-302 with low hours and minimal damage to faceplate to ensure your getting a well maintained unit.

And rebuild it yourself, if you can't make friends with a repair guy. I've heard lots of stories of people paying to get nothing done and loose money along with their machine.

Have an extra Mechanism from a parts machine I can Refurbished for you if you still need it for less than half the price tascam has given you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

I have 4 Refurbished tascam DA-302 decks and most of the problems I've faced all been fixed with a good cleaning, proper lube job and new drive belts.

3 of them are in YouTube video named "3 tascam DA-302 units working together"

The problem I'm facing now is that these belts have become even more rare than the machines themselves.

So what are the belts and what is the PRB cross for them?

Cables John Royer High End Audio 188 June 30th 04 06:30 PM
Garrard Changer problem Brent McKee Tech 24 March 30th 04 03:51 PM
Why DBTs in audio do not deliver (was: Finally ... The Furutech CD-do-something) Bob Marcus High End Audio 313 September 9th 03 01:17 AM
Troubleshooting cassette tape transport mechanism jbclem Tech 1 August 18th 03 04:24 AM