Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default Adjusting room frequency response

I just did this. Pure Music/Pure Vinyl has a 64bit 2/3/4 way electronic
crossover, I have two sub-woofers and two mains in a stereo setup. I
ran individual lines to each speaker. Then I frequency balanced each
line using REW and FabFilter. I adjusted each to an octave beyond the
80Hz crossover. Finally I did a final balance on the room as a whole.
I was able to get the room down to a 3.5db spread in the 90Hz-15kHz
range and to 4db to below 30Hz.

What's interesting about this is I read reviews where people complain
about amps that have an 0.5db range. They should look at a raw room
some time. Mine had a range of about 30db before I started. I consider
getting it as tight as I did a major plus for computer based sound.

Keeping the low frequencies from the mains and the highs from the subs
really cleans up the sound. You don't realize how muddy it gets until
it is gone.

My room falls off from low frequency to high so I notice less bass
emphasis, but I don't really hear the flatter, more compressed curve all
that much except under an A/B comparison. I think our brains must
adjust for what we are actually hearing.