Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default DAW utilizing multi core?

CPU speeds seem to be stuck, although
Moore's law may still hold true, allowing
more cores in the same space.

Of course, we have to change the way we
write applications to take advantage of this.
There is likely no simple answer to this,
but I was curious as to whether most VST
hosts for instance, will spread the plugins
across cores, or whether this is one point
of quality split in the hosts out there.

Tobiah
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:
CPU speeds seem to be stuck, although
Moore's law may still hold true, allowing
more cores in the same space.

Of course, we have to change the way we
write applications to take advantage of this.
There is likely no simple answer to this,
but I was curious as to whether most VST
hosts for instance, will spread the plugins
across cores, or whether this is one point
of quality split in the hosts out there.

Tobiah

Most, schmost.

Pick a DAW and research it. I think SONAR and Reaper
both do... but I would have to research it...

I haven't been CPU bound with a DAW since I got off
the Athlon 600 machine I used from 1999 to 2004.
Even then, Win95 and FAT32 were much more troublesome than
the processor speed.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:

I haven't been CPU bound with a DAW since I got off
the Athlon 600 machine I used from 1999 to 2004.
Even then, Win95 and FAT32 were much more troublesome than
the processor speed.

Processor speed has run a good race with what
our expectations of power are. But while processor
speed now seems to be capped, our expectations
will not be.

I can run a handful of (meaning five) convolution
reverbs in real time now. I'm simply *not* CPU bound.

When it was the Athlon 600, when I became CPU bound, I
printed stems and master-mixed those. I still do that,
more for management-ease than CPU limited-ness.

The quality of what we are doing
now seems to approach perfection, but I thought
my first Nokia phone had achieved that. There
will be more consumptive reverbs, real-time
lyric transcription, real-time feedback from
ambient measurements, plugin cross communication,
composition parameter adjustment based on averaged
neural feedback of the listeners... My curiosity
in parallelization is due to the appearance that
it may be the single avenue toward increase in
total power for some years to come.

I simply can't imagine needing any of that. "Averaged
neural feedback..." Really?

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

I simply can't imagine needing any of that. "Averaged
neural feedback..." Really?

I was younger when I first saw the fantastic image
of Patrick Stuart playing a Starship captain as he
sat in front of a computer display that had little
more than 2" in thickness. I was amazed at the
technology that had come about to that point, but
I shook my head in disappointment, and decided that
the writers were ingenious, but that this would never
come to pass.

I feel that way now about the "Holo-Deck". I feel
the same way. I have not yet fully learned my lesson.

All of this is off topic, but is to say, that running
64 tracks with plugins, is not all that we will ask of
computers, or music in 10 years.

Tobiah
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Tobiah wrote:

All of this is off topic, but is to say, that running
64 tracks with plugins, is not all that we will ask of
computers, or music in 10 years.

And, with all of that, there will still be people who can't play in
tune, on the beat.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 4/23/2012 5:18 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In , wrote:

All of this is off topic, but is to say, that running
64 tracks with plugins, is not all that we will ask of
computers, or music in 10 years.

And, with all of that, there will still be people who can't play in
tune, on the beat.
--scott

The larger question sir, although I do take your
meaning, is whether human musicians will matter then.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

wrote:

All of this is off topic, but is to say, that running
64 tracks with plugins, is not all that we will ask of
computers, or music in 10 years.

And, with all of that, there will still be people who can't play in
tune, on the beat.

Pity not everyones perfect. Sometimes their is more to artistic vision that
absolute precision of course.

The larger question sir, although I do take your
meaning, is whether human musicians will matter then.

They already don't in Pop music, but people have been predicting the
downfall in orchestra's since Walter Carlos released Switched on Bach. Still
seems just as far away.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In , wrote:

All of this is off topic, but is to say, that running
64 tracks with plugins, is not all that we will ask of
computers, or music in 10 years.

And, with all of that, there will still be people who can't play in
tune, on the beat.
--scott

What you point out seems to matter less and
less these days, or do you somehow make a reference
to a time when it did? I remember them fondly.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:18:09 -0700, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

And, with all of that, there will still be people who can't play in
tune, on the beat.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

Or sing!

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mxsmanic Mxsmanic is offline

Soundhaspriority writes:

Even in general use, I find that with more than 4 cores, a lot of basic
OS/GUI functions start to behave a little funky. My Tyan Xeon dual processor
8 core machine is very funky. It never crashes, but the GUI misbehaves in
minor ways.

There are serious contention issues when you have a large number of processors
sharing the same memory and other resources. In the worst case, the contention
can make eight processors run more slowly than four. In the best case, eight
cores will run faster than four, but they will never run anywhere near twice
as fast.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In , wrote:

All of this is off topic, but is to say, that running
64 tracks with plugins, is not all that we will ask of
computers, or music in 10 years.

And, with all of that, there will still be people who can't play in
tune, on the beat.

The larger question sir, although I do take your
meaning, is whether human musicians will matter then.

As much as they matter now, and as much as they ever mattered. Which,
one could argue, isn't all that much in some genres.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

wrote:

All of this is off topic, but is to say, that running
64 tracks with plugins, is not all that we will ask of
computers, or music in 10 years.

And, with all of that, there will still be people who can't play in
tune, on the beat.
--scott

The larger question sir, although I do take your
meaning, is whether human musicians will matter then.

I think human musicians and other performing artists will be around as long
as there are humans around. Musicians, singers, dancers, actors, and
entertainers who's talent and skill in live performance set's them apart
from the rest of us mortals causes an emotional reaction in audiences that
computer music never will IMO. And we want that rush and will always pay
for it. Not all of us, of course, but that was never the case.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

On Mon 2012-Apr-23 20:18, Scott Dorsey writes:

All of this is off topic, but is to say, that running
64 tracks with plugins, is not all that we will ask of
computers, or music in 10 years.

And, with all of that, there will still be people who can't play in
tune, on the beat.

OF course, and though those 64 tracks of wow hey cool make
other production jobs easier they'll convince those who
can't play or sing in tune, on the beat that they too ought
to be able to make music that the rest of us should think is the greatest thing we ever heard. Especially if the folks
at karaoke night say 'hey dude you're great!"

Autotune anyone?

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Richard Webb" wrote in
message ...
OF course, and though those 64 tracks of wow hey cool make
other production jobs easier they'll convince those who
can't play or sing in tune, on the beat that they too ought
to be able to make music that the rest of us should think is the greatest
thing we ever heard. Especially if the folks
at karaoke night say 'hey dude you're great!"

You do realise that some of the highest earning "musicians", (or recording
artists anyway), on the planet already are gangster rappers who can't sing
or play a note right?

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:18:35 -0700, Trevor wrote
(in article ):

You do realise that some of the highest earning "musicians", (or recording
artists anyway), on the planet already are gangster rappers who can't sing
or play a note right?
------------------------------snip------------------------------

Jay-Z's net worth is $450 million. Puff Daddy's net worth is $475 million.
Dr. Dre is worth at least $125 million.

Scary.

http://www.therichest.org/celebnetwo...op-cash-kings-
2011/

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

On Tue 2012-Apr-24 20:18, Trevor writes:
"Richard Webb"
wrote in message ...
OF course, and though those 64 tracks of wow hey cool make
other production jobs easier they'll convince those who
can't play or sing in tune, on the beat that they too ought
to be able to make music that the rest of us should think is the greatest
thing we ever heard. Especially if the folks
at karaoke night say 'hey dude you're great!"

You do realise that some of the highest earning "musicians", (or
recording artists anyway), on the planet already are gangster
rappers who can't sing or play a note right?

I do indeed, but they're not looking for somebody that does
waht I do anyway, and it's just as well. i did a couple of
hip hop projects back in the '90's. NEver had an appreciate for the whole thing. One they had somebody else producing,
he had all the samplers, etc. and they hired me because I
could do sync betwen midi and the tape machine adequately.

Just not something i have an appreciation for. If one can
make an adequate living from them, and one enjoys the work,
more power to ya. IT isn't even something I care to listen
to, let alone be subjected to for a day or two in teh studio thankyouverymuch.

I never considered a fifty cent or a li'l Wayne or the Black Eyed peas as having any real talent.
Duke Ellington or MIles DAvis, or jImmy Page this isn't.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Richard Webb" wrote in
message ...
You do realise that some of the highest earning "musicians", (or
recording artists anyway), on the planet already are gangster
rappers who can't sing or play a note right?

I do indeed, but they're not looking for somebody that does
waht I do anyway, and it's just as well. i did a couple of
hip hop projects back in the '90's. NEver had an appreciate for the whole
thing. One they had somebody else producing,
he had all the samplers, etc. and they hired me because I
could do sync betwen midi and the tape machine adequately.

Just not something i have an appreciation for. If one can
make an adequate living from them, and one enjoys the work,
more power to ya.

NOT me, I can't stand it, I was just pointing out that time already came a
while back, it's *not* something futuristic.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anahata Anahata is offline

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:14:56 -0700, Tobiah wrote:

I was
curious as to whether most VST hosts for instance, will spread the
plugins across cores, or whether this is one point of quality split in
the hosts out there.

I don't know about plugins, but Ardour 2.x (OSX/Linux DAW) will use two
cores if available, one for audio processing and the other for the
graphics.
Ardour v.3 will make sensible use of more than 2 cores, but I don't know
exactly how it divides the work between them.

--
Anahata
--/-- http://www.treewind.co.uk

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Marc Wielage wrote:

Jay-Z's net worth is $450 million. Puff Daddy's net worth is $475 million.
Dr. Dre is worth at least $125 million.

Sheesh, they should have learned to play football, then they could have
made real money.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Trevor" wrote in message

"Richard Webb" wrote in
message ...
OF course, and though those 64 tracks of wow hey cool make
other production jobs easier they'll convince those who
can't play or sing in tune, on the beat that they too ought
to be able to make music that the rest of us should think is the greatest
thing we ever heard. Especially if the folks
at karaoke night say 'hey dude you're great!"

You do realise that some of the highest earning "musicians", (or recording
artists anyway), on the planet already are gangster rappers who can't sing
or play a note right?

Perhaps, Trevor, by your definitions. What they can do is connect to an
audience, touch the emotions of that audience, hold an audience, control an
audience, something that is rarer than rare. Thousands of singers and
players that are never off pitch, never miss a note, can't get to first base
in the industry, because, for whatever reason, when they play and sing not
enough people are emotionally gobsmacked.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed 2012-Apr-25 13:29, Steve King writes:
You do realise that some of the highest earning "musicians", (or recording
artists anyway), on the planet already are gangster rappers who can't sing
or play a note right?

Perhaps, Trevor, by your definitions. What they can do is connect
to an audience, touch the emotions of that audience, hold an
audience, control an audience, something that is rarer than rare.
Thousands of singers and players that are never off pitch, never
miss a note, can't get to first base in the industry, because, for
whatever reason, when they play and sing not enough people are
emotionally gobsmacked.

INdeed, which is why I say if someone enjoys it have at it,
it just isn't a type of work i choose to seek out. I find
the music extremely unmusical imho, the "artists" not
pleasant to work with, etc. But, it obviously connects with people. As for me, I'd just as soon listen to musicians who can play and sing. I can emotionally connect with Duke
Ellington, MIles Davis, the Beatles, Harry Chapin, or mErle
Haggard, to name a few.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Steve King" wrote in message
You do realise that some of the highest earning "musicians", (or
recording artists anyway), on the planet already are gangster rappers who
can't sing or play a note right?

Perhaps, Trevor, by your definitions. What they can do is connect to an
audience, touch the emotions of that audience, hold an audience, control
an audience, something that is rarer than rare.

Well they obviously have something which touches there audience, but still
can't see how that sells millions of records and not just concert tickets.
But I have no problem with peoples different tastes in "music" though.

Thousands of singers and players that are never off pitch, never miss a
note, can't get to first base in the industry, because, for whatever
reason, when they play and sing not enough people are emotionally
gobsmacked.

Or unfortunately their audience just doesn't buy records in the same
numbers. I work with many artists like that, some with gold records from a
few decades ago, still wonderful musicians, still wow their audiences, but
except for the odd festival, struggle to get a decent audience at gigs, and
struggle to sell CD's. That's the nature of the music industry
unfortunately.
I bet money that Puff Daddy and Jay-Z struggle to get an audience 20 years
from now, but I'd certainly be happy to retire on their money :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Jeff Henig" wrote in message
Having chops doesn't guarantee having a soul that can touch a heart. It's
something I've long wished some of my more talented and gifted friends
would learn.

What's the point of all of that talent if you can't connect with your
audience and make them fellow participants?

True, but totally ignores the rapidly changing or fickle nature of public
admiration. An artist doesn't suddenly have " a soul that can touch a heart"
one minute, and lose it the next, and yet they often go from millions of
fans, to nothing, and sometimes back again. That's the nature of show biz in
general. When you're hot you're hot, and when you're not you're not! :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

On Thu 2012-Apr-26 03:55, Trevor writes:
"Jeff Henig" wrote in message
-septembe
r.org...
Having chops doesn't guarantee having a soul that can touch a heart. It's
something I've long wished some of my more talented and gifted friends
would learn.

would agree with that, so far as it goes, but then ...

True, but totally ignores the rapidly changing or fickle nature of
public admiration. An artist doesn't suddenly have " a soul that can
touch a heart" one minute, and lose it the next, and yet they often
go from millions of fans, to nothing, and sometimes back again.
That's the nature of show biz in general. When you're hot you're
hot, and when you're not you're not! :-)

Right, and remember that these days "public admiration" is
manipulated byu those with the capability to manipulate it.
Many of these 'stars" are admired because they've been
heavily marketed. YEt note that people still rediscover
Hank Williams, or the Beatles even today because they're
exposed to it by older generations, and find it to be good
music that does indeed touch them somewhere.

YEs, when I do find myself exposed to a lot of thi stuff
that's been shoved at me by the marketing folks I endeavor
to keep an open mind, but often I find myself wishing for
the off switch, or escaping the aural bombardment of junk as soon as possible. I'll admit to being somewhat of a snob.
Unless you can entertain and connect with that audience
using just your talents I'm probably not likely to take you
seriously as an artist or performer. Forget the 40 foot
video screen adn the flying pig, if you ain't got the chops, then you ain't got the chops.

Regards,
Richard