Arny Krueger

Default Hafler (the first MOSFET? I don't think so)

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news

It could go either way. Most larger guitar amps are push-pull, so they

could
easily have less nonlinear distortion than a SET.

surprise!!!!

look at the preamp section, dummy.

No surprise.

It would take a supremely arrogant fool to think that I don't know how
guitar amps are made and work. Thanks for rising to the occasion, Yustabe.

That makes them not the same, and makes them sound not the same.

Shows that Yustabe can't master the intellectual tools required to deal

ith
this level of abstraction. Everybody who is surprised, please raise
your hands!

Shows what little you know about tube guitar amps and distortion.

No way. The distortion in most guitar amps is adjustable. The distortion in
most SETs is "one size fits all".

Much of the purposeful distortion comes from the preamp side..

Key word, "purposeful".

Arny Krueger

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:23:32 -0500, "Sockpuppet Yustabe"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

Most guitar palyers would find an audio tube amp, outfitted
with appropriate inputs, useless.

So do most audiophiles, but that's not the point I was making.

Tubes
distort. The distortion of tube amp that a guitar player might

use
is useful for creating music. The distortion an tube used in a

home
hi-fi creates, is just distortion. That some persons like that
distortion is their choice.

It is not the same distortion, so please don't compare them.

This reply rather obviously demonstrates the sockpuppet's lack of
understanding of distortion in audio circuits. Note that he's always

run and
hid whenever I asked him about his educational credentials. He knows

more
about audio than I do because that's what the voices in his head tell

him.

I knw more about what a tube audio amp and a tube guitar amp
sound like.

Obviously not, since you claim that the distortions are different.
The plain fact is that the distortion mechanisms are identical,
although the guitar amp may well have higher levels (aside from
SETs). --
That makes them not the same, and makes them sound not the same.

No, it makes them the same if you overdrive the 'hi fi' amp to the
same degree as guitar amps are normally overdriven. Note that an SET
may exhibit exactly the same effects even if not overdriven!

Then its a different design.

So what, we were talking about distortion, not design.

Home audio tube amps are not designed that way.

So what, we were talking about distortion, not design. BTW, you're wrong.

And, guitar amps also overdrive the preamp stage.

So what, we were talking about distortion.

Home audio tube amps are not designed that way either.

So what, we were talking about distortion, not design. BTW, you're wrong.

Note that when cornered, Yustabe tries to change the discussion from one of
sound quality and kind of distortion, to design. Did he learn this trick
from Weil or did he teach Weil?

Arny Krueger

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message

Tubes distort. The distortion of tube amp that a guitar player
might use is useful for creating music. The distortion an tube
used in a home hi-fi creates, is just distortion. That some
persons like that distortion is their choice.

It is not the same distortion, so please don't compare them.

This reply rather obviously demonstrates the sockpuppet's lack of
understanding of distortion in audio circuits. Note that he's
always run and hide whenever I asked him about his educational
credentials. He knows more about audio than I do because that's
what the voices in his head tell him.

I knw more about what a tube audio amp and a tube guitar amp
sound

like.

I'll bet you "knw" more about *everything* than I do, sockpuppet.

LOL!

I know more about 'good sound' than you do.

Just like you know more about using spell-checkers and living in
custom-built houses than I do, eh Yustabe?

LOL!

Just like you know more about living in a POS
house with a crumbling foundation.

Now, that's a lie.

Arny Krueger

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

After all, the tubes don't exist in a vacuum!!!

We've got to memorialize this post somewhere. It's an all-time classic.

Arny Krueger

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

After all, the tubes don't exist in a vacuum!!!

We've got to memorialize this post somewhere. It's an all-time classic.

Arny Krueger

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

After all, the tubes don't exist in a vacuum!!!

We've got to memorialize this post somewhere. It's an all-time classic.

Arny Krueger

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

After all, the tubes don't exist in a vacuum!!!

We've got to memorialize this post somewhere. It's an all-time classic.

Arny Krueger

Default Watch Powell Run And HIde, Again!

"Powell" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote

Of course it is. Tubes are tubes and they have
specific characteristics, one of them is how they
clip.

"specific characteristics"... What are these "specific"
audible "characteristics" of all tubes?

More distortion and noise than is necessary, often in audible amounts.

If the amp and
speakers are properly matched audible clipping should
not be a factor.

As if clipping is the only form of audible distortion.

Do you have any empirical experiences
with tubed equipment in you home setup which lead
you to this gross generalization...

What's unclear about the fact that many of us were active audiophiles when
tubes were all there was?

or is this pure conjecture?

Let's talk about your raging hypocrisy Powell. You've attacked others on the
grounds of their education, their professional status, their personal
finances, their social class, etc.

Yet Powell, when asked the same questions that you ask others so glibly, and
that you assert false answers for, you run and hide!

Powell, how long do you expect to escape the consequences of your hypocrisy?

Put up or shut up.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:26:43 -0500, "Sockpuppet Yustabe"
wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news

That makes them not the same, and makes them sound not the same.

Shows that Yustabe can't master the intellectual tools required to deal

with
this level of abstraction. Everybody who is surprised, please raise

your
hands!

Shows what little you know about tube guitar amps and distortion.
Much of the purposeful distortion comes from the preamp side..

Yes, and it has the same character as an overdriven output stage.

NOT!
Sounds quite different

Sockpuppet Yustabe

wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news

That makes them not the same, and makes them sound not the same.

Shows that Yustabe can't master the intellectual tools required to deal

with
this level of abstraction. Everybody who is surprised, please raise

your
hands!

Shows what little you know about tube guitar amps and distortion.
Much of the purposeful distortion comes from the preamp side..

Yes, and it has the same character as an overdriven output stage,
(guitar or hi-fi amp) with the additional advantage of adjustable
volume to suit the venue. This ain't rocket science!

The character of the sound form each type sounds quite different.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

[...]

Yes, tube home amps and tube guitar amps are different.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

wrote:

[...]

We are talking about the the difference in sound.

Please, tell us again that they sound the same

Sockpuppet Yustabe

[...]

IDIOT
You are the one who told us about it.

dave weil

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:59:58 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

After all, the tubes don't exist in a vacuum!!!

We've got to memorialize this post somewhere. It's an all-time classic.

Yes, there's probably a tube or two still in outer space.