Arny Krueger

Default Hafler (the first MOSFET? I don't think so)

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message

Tubes distort. The distortion of tube amp that a guitar player
might use is useful for creating music. The distortion an tube
used in a home hi-fi creates, is just distortion. That some
persons like that distortion is their choice.

It is not the same distortion, so please don't compare them.

This reply rather obviously demonstrates the sockpuppet's lack of
understanding of distortion in audio circuits. Note that he's always run

and
hide whenever I asked him about his educational credentials. He knows
more about audio than I do because that's what the voices in his
head tell him.

I knw more about what a tube audio amp and a tube guitar amp sound like.

I'll bet you "knw" more about *everything* than I do, sockpuppet.

LOL!

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:09:15 -0500, "Sockpuppet Yustabe"
wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

Most guitar palyers would find an audio tube amp, outfitted with

appropriate
inputs, useless.

So do most audiophiles, but that's not the point I was making.

Tubes
distort. The distortion of tube amp that a guitar player might use
is useful for creating music. The distortion an tube used in a home
hi-fi creates, is just distortion. That some persons like that
distortion is their choice.

It is not the same distortion, so please don't compare them.

This reply rather obviously demonstrates the sockpuppet's lack of
understanding of distortion in audio circuits. Note that he's always

run and
hid whenever I asked him about his educational credentials. He knows

more
about audio than I do because that's what the voices in his head tell

him.

I knw more about what a tube audio amp and a tube guitar amp sound like.

Obviously not, since you claim that the distortions are different. The
plain fact is that the distortion mechanisms are identical, although
the guitar amp may well have higher levels (aside from SETs).
--

That makes them not the same, and makes them sound not the same.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

[...]

No doubt an abstract concept that is way over Yustabe's pointed little head.

The plain fact is that the distortion mechanisms are identical,

Agreed. It's all a matter of degree.

although the guitar amp may well have higher levels (aside from
SETs). --

It could go either way. Most larger guitar amps are push-pull, so they could
easily have less nonlinear distortion than a SET.

That makes them not the same, and makes them sound not the same.

Shows that Yustabe can't master the intellectual tools required to deal with
this level of abstraction. Everybody who is surprised, please raise your
hands!

Sockpuppet Yustabe

[...]

I know more about 'good sound' than you do.

Arny Krueger

[...]

Just like you know more about using spell-checkers and living in
custom-built houses than I do, eh Yustabe?

LOL!

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

[...]

No, it makes them the same if you overdrive the 'hi fi' amp to the
same degree as guitar amps are normally overdriven. Note that an SET
may exhibit exactly the same effects even if not overdriven!

You have of course over the years, clearly demonstrated that you know
about three fifths of **** all about good sound..................

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:58:21 -0600, dave weil
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:49:17 +0000 (UTC),
(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:28:14 -0600, dave weil
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 07:58:36 +0000 (UTC),

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:

Obviously not, since you claim that the distortions are different. The
plain fact is that the distortion mechanisms are identical, although
the guitar amp may well have higher levels (aside from SETs).

YOu also don't seem to know what you're talking about, since the
guitar amp will *always* be able to generate more distortion than even
an SET.

No, it won't, if you overdrive a SET (or push-pull) 'hi-fi' amp to the
same degree as a guitar amp is conventionally overdriven.

I disagree. The amp will fry before you get to the level of distortion
possible (and sometimes desirable) with a guitar amp.

You are wrong. No ifs or buts, just plain wrong.

I have *never* heard any "home hi-fi amp" achieve the same level of
distortion.

Try listening to some Carys...................

I'd advise
you to back off at this point, since I worked as an amplifier design
and repair technician in a music shop a long time ago, when Marshall
stacks were cutting edge. Actually, the really cool thing is that they
still are! :-)

Claim to fame - I drank with Billy Connelly when he was only a Humble
Bum. Poor bugger never could play that banjo........................

So? I helped bail Chrissie Hynde out of jail once. Guess that trumps
you.

Nah, being a bail bondsman doesn't count......... :-)

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news 1

It could go either way. Most larger guitar amps are push-pull, so they

could
easily have less nonlinear distortion than a SET.

surprise!!!!
look at the preamp section, dummy.

That makes them not the same, and makes them sound not the same.

Shows that Yustabe can't master the intellectual tools required to deal

with
this level of abstraction. Everybody who is surprised, please raise your
hands!

Shows what little you know about tube guitar amps and distortion.
Much of the purposeful distortion comes from the preamp side..