Carey Carlan

Default Expensive pianos!

The 9' Bösendorfer I recorded today retails for $110,000. The 11' with
the extra lower octave of keys is tens of thousands more.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's WAY too much money for a piano.
dt king

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
. 191...
The 9' Bösendorfer I recorded today retails for $110,000. The 11' with
the extra lower octave of keys is tens of thousands more.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's WAY too much money for a piano.

Can you get a Strad for less than $2Mill?

dtk

Scott Dorsey

Carey Carlan wrote:
The 9' Bösendorfer I recorded today retails for $110,000. The 11' with
the extra lower octave of keys is tens of thousands more.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's WAY too much money for a piano.

You should see what fiddles cost.

Geoff Wood

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
. 191...
The 9' Bösendorfer I recorded today retails for $110,000. The 11' with
the extra lower octave of keys is tens of thousands more.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's WAY too much money for a piano.

Hundreds of kilos of exotic aged stored wood. Skill and quality in
manufacturing. Huge transport and delivery and storage costs. Naa.

Now the crappy old mass-produced strat I saw the other day for $40,000 was
way too much money.

geoff

Edi Zubovic

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:08:57 GMT, Carey Carlan
wrote:

The 9' Bösendorfer I recorded today retails for $110,000. The 11' with
the extra lower octave of keys is tens of thousands more.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's WAY too much money for a piano.

Ddid you know that Bösendorfer is manufacturing loudspeaker
enclosures, I (guess the same wood and lacquers) too? --Now I'm really
curious as to how they are sounding.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia

Geoff Wood

"Edi Zubovic" edi.zubovic[rem wrote in message

Ddid you know that Bösendorfer is manufacturing loudspeaker
enclosures, I (guess the same wood and lacquers) too? --Now I'm really
curious as to how they are sounding.

Not too good iif they are using tonewoods. The idea of a tonewood is to
resonate to and radiate musics frequencies. The idea of a speaker cabinet
is generally to be as unresonant and unradiant as possible.

geoff

Edi Zubovic

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:10:50 +1300, "Geoff Wood"
-nospam wrote:

"Edi Zubovic" edi.zubovic[rem wrote in message

Ddid you know that Bösendorfer is manufacturing loudspeaker
enclosures, I (guess the same wood and lacquers) too? --Now I'm really
curious as to how they are sounding.

Not too good iif they are using tonewoods. The idea of a tonewood is to
resonate to and radiate musics frequencies. The idea of a speaker cabinet
is generally to be as unresonant and unradiant as possible.

geoff

Hmm, that's I thought about too, when posting this... but at their
pages, http://www.boesendorfer.com/_english_version/index.html
Bösendorfer claims that they are in fact using the wood for horn and
plate resonators, the philosophy being of that when excited strings
pass their mechanic and acoustic vibrations to the steel frame and
wooden enclosure of a piano, the drivers built on resonating plates do
the samein a loudspeaker enclosure, making the whole baffles active
sound producing units -- quite interesting and worth of evaluating by
hearing.

I still believe that a loudspeaker shouldn't act as a musical
instrument, but indeed the opposite. But there are special
constructions too.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia

jnorman

i dont think bosendorfer makes an 11' model. the model 290 imperial
grand is their top of the line and it is 9'6" or something. 97 keys.
i've been working with a model 225 7'4" half concert grand that has 92
keys. i think it is about $125k. dont know how much the imperial
grand is, but i would guess it is near $200k.

Paul Stamler

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
. 191...

You should see what fiddles cost.
--scott

Touche. My new Italian violin and bow combine for about 18K. I see a
piano as more a mechanical device, but I guess when you start repeating

the
mechs 88 times (or 100 times for the one with the extra octave) it might
make it.

Still, the Yamaha upright my parents bought for me in 1967 cost only $800.
That's still a long way to 110K.

Yeah, and I can get you a fiddle for $50, plus shipping.

Peace,
Paul

ScotFraser

The 9' Bösendorfer I recorded today retails for $110,000. The 11' with
the extra lower octave of keys is tens of thousands more.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's WAY too much money for a piano.
BRBR

Hell, you can pay that much for a Tort violin bow that needs straightening. If
that's what helps an artist do what he or she does well, it's worth whatever it
costs.
Scott Fraser

Analogeezer

Carey Carlan wrote in message .191...
The 9' Bösendorfer I recorded today retails for $110,000. The 11' with
the extra lower octave of keys is tens of thousands more.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's WAY too much money for a piano.

I once read a quote that went something like "you can tell when it's a
Bosendorfer at a recital because during the intermission people will
be up front staring at it like it's a martian spaceship."

The keyboard player in my band (very talented guy, ex-music major,
been playing jazz/rock/classical for 38 years....he started when he
was 8) checked a couple out.

He wasn't in the market but they had some in a couple of local shops.
He said it was pretty nice, great feel and all but didn't float his
boat. He said the tone was suprisingly dark but that could have been
the room. Then again you don't want a bright piano for classical work
anyway.

You have to keep in mind that products like these are produced in very
small numbers, with lots of human labor involved, and these are
craftsmen, not some lunkheads.

A good friend of mine does custom staircases, it's not uncommon for
him to do one that costs $50k, so a piano for $100k, especially one
built in Europe in small numbers is not that outrageous when you think
about it.

What would be very interesting is to see what kinds of people buy
these things....well other than Tori Amos.

Analogeezer
Kurt Albershardt

Analogeezer wrote:
Carey Carlan wrote in message .191...

The 9' Bösendorfer I recorded today retails for $110,000. The 11' with
the extra lower octave of keys is tens of thousands more.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's WAY too much money for a piano.

I once read a quote that went something like "you can tell when it's a
Bosendorfer at a recital because during the intermission people will
be up front staring at it like it's a martian spaceship."

The keyboard player in my band (very talented guy, ex-music major,
been playing jazz/rock/classical for 38 years....he started when he
was 8) checked a couple out.

He wasn't in the market but they had some in a couple of local shops.
He said it was pretty nice, great feel and all but didn't float his
boat. He said the tone was suprisingly dark but that could have been
the room.

Hey, some of us *like* the way Bosendorfen sound.

ScotFraser

He said the tone was suprisingly dark but that could have been
the room. BRBR

Odd. Every Bosendorfer I've worked with has been very bright, although bright
in a very different way than bright Yamahas. I have to say the sound doesn't
knock me out, not that it's bad, just not my preference in piano tone.

Scott Fraser
Geoff Wood

"ScotFraser" wrote in message
He said the tone was suprisingly dark but that could have been
the room. BRBR

Odd. Every Bosendorfer I've worked with has been very bright, although
bright
in a very different way than bright Yamahas. I have to say the sound
doesn't
knock me out, not that it's bad, just not my preference in piano tone.

Scott Fraser

I like Freddie Mercury's (oh yeah, RIP Freddie) phrase "Bechstein
Debauchery"

I prefer Bechsteins. That's only because that's what I have in my studio.

geoff

PS No, not a 9ft grand, but an old 1905 upright ;-(

ScotFraser

I prefer Bechsteins. That's only because that's what I have in my studio.
BRBR

I believe I have never seen an actual Bechstein in North America. Rarer than
hen's teeth.

Scott Fraser
Roger W. Norman

In the right room. People often buy pianos based on what they sound like at
the dealer's location, but it has nothing to do with what it would sound
like at your location.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message
Analogeezer wrote:
[...]

hank alrich

Carey Carlan wrote:

"dt king" wrote:

"Carey Carlan" wrote...
The 9' Bösendorfer I recorded today retails for $110,000. The 11' with
the extra lower octave of keys is tens of thousands more.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's WAY too much money for a piano.

Can you get a Strad for less than $2Mill?

Not a fair comparison. Strads aren't still in production.

But if they were they would cost more than that piano, assuming Strad
could still deliver the goods.

--
ha
xy

The Bosendorfer is hands down my favorite piano and I would certainly
buy one if I were in that income bracket.