Posted to rec.audio.pro
bg bg is offline

Default Old duplicator machine

These photos were posted in a different news group, and the poster wanted to
know what this machine is. He said it was a 50 year old prototype.
I recognize this thing as an audio tape duplicatior, but I can't remember
any of the brand names. Magnafax, Magnatek, Lyrec, Versadyne??? something
like that? I've searched google hoping to find some old pictures but no
luck. Does anyone have pictures or know of pics on the web of a duplicator
where the slaves are stacked on a common capstan like this?
thx
bg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC1.jpg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC2.jpg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC3.jpg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC4.jpg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC5.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"bg" wrote ...
These photos were posted in a different news group, and the poster wanted
know what this machine is. He said it was a 50 year old prototype.
I recognize this thing as an audio tape duplicatior, but I can't remember
any of the brand names. Magnafax, Magnatek, Lyrec, Versadyne??? something
like that? I've searched google hoping to find some old pictures but no
luck. Does anyone have pictures or know of pics on the web of a duplicator
where the slaves are stacked on a common capstan like this?
thx
bg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC1.jpg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC2.jpg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC3.jpg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC4.jpg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC5.jpg

What is that gauge of the tape? Almost looks like 1/2 inch.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
bg bg is offline

Richard Crowley wrote in message
.. .
"bg" wrote ...
[...]

It looks more like 1/4 inch to me but there really isn't anything in the
photos to compare to. The only duplication equipment that I know of that
uses 1/2 inch tape would be a master, and a master most certainly wouldn't
be duplicated in this fashion.
bg

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Oct 13, 10:28 am, "bg" wrote:
These photos were posted in a different news group, and the poster wanted to
know what this machine is. He said it was a 50 year old prototype.
I recognize this thing as an audio tape duplicatior, but I can't remember
any of the brand names. Magnafax, Magnatek, Lyrec, Versadyne??? something
like that? I've searched google hoping to find some old pictures but no
luck. Does anyone have pictures or know of pics on the web of a duplicator
where the slaves are stacked on a common capstan like this?
thx
bghttp://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC1.jpghttp://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC2.jpghttp://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC3.jpghttp://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC4.jpghttp://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC5.jpg

Obviously 1/4" tape. even if those reels were 14" the tape would not
be wide enough to be 1/2 "

Don't have a clue who made it. is it possible that it is some form of
early computer equipment rather than a duplication device?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
bg bg is offline

Richard Kuschel wrote in message
On Oct 13, 10:28 am, "bg" wrote:
[...]

I've worked on duplicators like this. I just can't remember who made them.
The photos show bulk tape with one flange on the bottom. That is a clue that
the tape would be processed on some kind of loader machine later. Later
duplicators did away with both flanges and used a packer arm, but if this is
fifty years old, it probably predates the packer arm. There is no sign of
record or playback electronics which is also typical of a duplicator. There
seems to be two pushbuttons and a toggle switch which would indicate that
the machine has only a run mode and a stop mode, also typical of a
duplicator. There is a lever that looks like it is used to manually engage
the pinch rollers, which I've seen on other duplicators. All the clues point
to a duplicator. I'd like to find further proof for this guy with some
pictures and hopefully a brand name.
bg

Posted to rec.audio.pro
videochas www.locoworks.com videochas www.locoworks.com is offline
Banned

...On Oct 13, 10:28 am, "bg" wrote:
[...]

It reminds me of a sound effects device I saw in a film post
production house in Alameda, Ca. It played metal cartridges with
loops of 1/4 inch tape with atmospheric things like birdsong, wind,
waves, etc. You were meant to stack up the cartridges, which were
activated by one long capstan. Very impressive.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

videochas wrote ...
It reminds me of a sound effects device I saw in a film post
production house in Alameda, Ca. It played metal cartridges with
loops of 1/4 inch tape with atmospheric things like birdsong, wind,
waves, etc. You were meant to stack up the cartridges, which were
activated by one long capstan. Very impressive.

Sounds like the old Mackenzie system...
Wide shot:
http://www.j-shea.com/TVCity/photo6.jpg
Transport racks:
http://www.j-shea.com/TVCity/photo22.jpg
Remote controls:
http://www.j-shea.com/TVCity/photo20.jpg

Part of a great historical page about CBS Television City
Studio 33 (The Price is Right, et.al.)
http://www.j-shea.com/TVCity/Photos.html

Some good shots of the audio booth as well as the
video operation.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , bg wrote:
These photos were posted in a different news group, and the poster wanted to
know what this machine is. He said it was a 50 year old prototype.
I recognize this thing as an audio tape duplicatior, but I can't remember
any of the brand names. Magnafax, Magnatek, Lyrec, Versadyne??? something
like that? I've searched google hoping to find some old pictures but no
luck. Does anyone have pictures or know of pics on the web of a duplicator
where the slaves are stacked on a common capstan like this?
thx
bg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC1.jpg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC2.jpg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC3.jpg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC4.jpg
http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/other/images/MC5.jpg

I have not seen this particular machine, but Telex and Presto both
made common-shaft duplicator machines. They sounded really really awful.
I saw them in use for things like libraries and language laboratories;
the broadcast folks wouldn't touch them.

Video DVD Duplicator yarik Pro Audio 0 July 6th 06 09:54 AM
Video DVD Duplicator yarik Pro Audio 0 April 18th 06 02:48 PM
Video DVD Duplicator [email protected] Pro Audio 0 February 17th 06 07:43 AM
FS: 1 to 3 CD duplicator, $200 Engineer Pro Audio 0 November 17th 03 11:08 AM
CD Duplicator Recommendations ryanm Pro Audio 4 October 22nd 03 03:48 AM