The Sandman

Default 2003 Audi TT Coupe - System advice needed

First off, thanks for looking at this post. I can use as much advice
as I can handle.

I've got a 2003 Audi TT Coupe that I want to do a system upgrade on.
I'm keeping the stock HU (for now). My intent is to add a nice amp, a
set of components in the front, along with a JL Audio 10w6v2 sub in
the trunk. Here's my questions:

1. My installer is pushing me towards a Boston Acoustics GT-42 amp to
drive everything. They are also suggesting the BA Pro Series
components for the front. Opinions on the equiptment?

2. So far, I've only looked at front speakers. I was thinking about
disconnecting the rears altogether. Any opinions on what I'll lose
sound-wise by just running the components in the front and the sub in
the rear? With as much as I'm paying for all of the install, I want
to make sure it sounds GREAT.

3. If I add a set of coax speakers for the rear (joke of a backseat
area), could the single BA amp drive all 4 sets of speakers in the
cabin, as well as the JL Audio sub? If not, are there any other good
amps you can recommend that would power the whole system and make sure
everything gets the juice it needs?

Thanks so much for your help! I can really use the advice!

sandman
TheBIessedDead

1. My installer is pushing me towards a Boston Acoustics GT-42 amp to
drive everything. They are also suggesting the BA Pro Series
components for the front. Opinions on the equiptment?

Boston Acoustics in general is pretty highly regarded stuff, but I really know
nothing of their amps. As far as the speakers go, its totally subjective.
Don't let your installer push you into anything. Listen to as many speakers as
you can, and decide for yourself what you like best. If you can, listen to any
of the speakers in cars... Maybe people at the shop have rides you could listen
to.

2. So far, I've only looked at front speakers. I was thinking about
disconnecting the rears altogether. Any opinions on what I'll lose
sound-wise by just running the components in the front and the sub in
the rear? With as much as I'm paying for all of the install, I want
to make sure it sounds GREAT.

Plenty of people will tell you that forgoing the rear speakers is a great idea.
The theory being that music is recorded with two channels... Left and right,
and anything added to that can really screw up your imagine. Basically, you'll
have some sound coming from behind you, which alot of people dislike.
Personally, I would try it for a while without any rear speakers, and then
decide. If you feel that you absolutely need some rear fill, then you can add
them at that time. No sense putting out the money for them right off the bat.
I'm betting that if you make wise purchases from the get go, and everything is
installed correctly, you'll find that you have no need for them.

3. If I add a set of coax speakers for the rear (joke of a backseat
area), could the single BA amp drive all 4 sets of speakers in the
cabin, as well as the JL Audio sub? If not, are there any other good
amps you can recommend that would power the whole system and make sure
everything gets the juice it needs?

Well, I don't know if BA makes a 5 channel amp, so I'm not totally sure if it
would ideally drive your whole system. I think it would be possibly to run
everything off of a 4 channel amp,(assuming you add rear fill, without the rear
fill a 4 channel amp would do nicely), but you'd lose some control. Fader
mainly I think. There are plenty of 5 channel amps out there that would do the
job, but if it was me, I'd probably buy either two seperate amps...(I don't
know how power hungry those subs are off the top of my head), or a nice 4
channel amp(The front 2 channels to your comps, the rear channels bridged to
your sub). If at a later date you wanted to add rear fill, there would really
be no need to amp it anyway. Running it off your head unit would be fine.

Nick

thelizman

The Sandman wrote:
1. My installer is pushing me towards a Boston Acoustics GT-42 amp to
drive everything. They are also suggesting the BA Pro Series
components for the front. Opinions on the equiptment?

I like Boston Pro. The most important question is, how do they sound to you?

2. So far, I've only looked at front speakers. I was thinking about
disconnecting the rears altogether. Any opinions on what I'll lose
sound-wise by just running the components in the front and the sub in
the rear? With as much as I'm paying for all of the install, I want
to make sure it sounds GREAT.

Different people have different opinions on rear fill. Some say it has
ambience. Others feel it enhances stereo imaging. A good installer an
put your front speakers in so that you'll never know the back speakers
were disconnected, but that good of an installer is rare. IME, good
rearfill can be achieved iwth a small amount of power, and small
speakers (4" are perfect) in the back with a band pass crossover which
limites them to midrange frequencies. You can have rearfill put in, then
just use the fader to get rid of it if you find it doesn't work for you.

3. If I add a set of coax speakers for the rear (joke of a backseat
area), could the single BA amp drive all 4 sets of speakers in the
cabin, as well as the JL Audio sub?

Yes, but its a tricky setup. It's best to just use the GT42 to power the
mids, and get a separate amp to power the sub. Bass can take up as much
as 60% of your total system power.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.