raj

Default 2001 Galant radio reset issues

hi ... i am having some problems with the premium infinity system on
my 2001 Galant GTZ(7 spkr + external amp). Everything was working fine
till i had 2 external amps(i for rear speakers and other for
subwoofer) and a subwoofer installed. Got it done at best-buy so i
dont really know the details of how they did it.

The problem is my radio resets itself periodically. Sometimes even
when the amps are not on....sometimes the i dont even have the radio
on and it resets..then i have to remove the powersupply for a min and
then plug it back in for it to work. There is no pattern on when this
happens. Since this problem happens even when i am not playing my
radio, i assume that this rules out the possibility of the HU not
being able to drive the extra amps. I think it might a grounding
issue... can anyone tell me how to check if the grounding is done
right ? based on my reading on this forum, it seems my radio is
grounded via the harness ? not sure what that means.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Raj
(remove NOSPAM).
mayhemkrew

Before fiddling around with the install and voiding any warranties Best Buy
may have, I would take it back to them and show them the problem and have
them fix it. I just think that if you start messing with stuff, Best Buy
will say that 'well it could be whatever you did caused this problem', yadda
yadda yadda. Best to let them check it over again and tell them this
problem did happen until after you guys put this equipment in. Also, don't
very rude about it either, that usually leads to problems and even more poor
service, even though you are most likely upset (maybe?), when the problem
could be very small. If they refuse to find the problem or give you a run
around, then you have every right to get ****ed off. I've learned one thing
being both an installer and a customer, a polite customers goes a long way
and gets better results.

A side note, no Mitsubishi vehicles have grounds in their wire harness for
the radios from about 92 to present. The ground comes from the ISO mounting
brackets mounted to the radio which then screws into the radio cavity, which
connects to the frame of the car...so on and so on.

But as for the problem, need a little more clarity on the problem. Resets
itself? Meaning it looses all presets/clock info? Why do you have to pull
the fuse? Does the radio like lock up and shows a display but nothing
changes? Are you pulling a fuse from the fuse box or the from the main
power wire Best Buy installed?

"raj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

raj

thanks for responding....I will take it back to Bestbuy but the last
time i took it back they said that the radio resets due to the head
unit not being to handle the two amps that i have installed. I now
know that this is not true, because i have this problem even when the
amps are switched off.

When i say the radio "resets"....this is what i mean. Everything
freezes.. no sound, clock freezes..nothing at all. I then have to
remove the trim, take the radio out, remove the "wire harness" ( this
is the rectangular kind of plug that plugs in the back ..somewhere in
the center) and then after a min, plug it back in and then the radio
powers on. I put in the radio code and it starts to work fine. And yes
- i do lose the radio presets and the clock goes back to 12:00.

I just want to know what the potential causes might be so that when i
go to best buy i can tell them what to look for..else they will once
again give me the same answer that the factory radio cant handle the
amps.

Thanks,
Raj

"mayhemkrew" wrote in message news:_5a%c.15366$vy.4730@attbi_s52...
[...]

"raj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

mayhemkrew

Hmmm, that is a strange problem and to me sounds like a defective unit. But
the stereo not being able to run the two amps is a BS response. The only
way their response holds any water is if they used the remote turn on from
the head unit to power the amps without a relay, this could maybe cause a
problem with the stereo trying to deliver the current the amps need to turn
on and stay on but not being able to do it. But then again, you say the
problem happens even when the amps are off, so that might not be it. But if
they didn't use a relay in the first place, it could have damaged the radio
and now this is the result of the radio being damaged? I dunno, just
throwing some guesses out there right now.

Now another question on your set up, you say that this problem occurs even
when the amps are not switched on? Did Best Buy install a remote turn on
switch so that you can turn the amps on and off via an add-on switch they
installed? Or do the amps turn on and off when the radio is powered on/off?
Or do the amps power on whenever the car is turned on, regardless of weather
or not the radio is on/off?

"raj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

"raj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

raj

Bestbuy installed a toggle switch for me that powers the amps. This
way i could play the radio only with 4 spkrs (2 frnt + 2 tweeters +
center front). The amps power the 2 rear + subs. Right now..i have the
toggle switch off... the amps power light is off so i assume the amp
is off too. The radio still "resets" even when the power to the amps
is cut off.

I notice something wierd today. i removed the trim and noticed that
the radio unit mounting brackets was not bolted to the frame. in the
brackets. Do u think this might be the reason why i keep having this
reset problem ?

Is there any way for me to find out if my radio has become defective.
I dont want to buy a new radio and then find out that the problem
still exists

[...]

"raj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

mayhemkrew

If I remember the Galant correctly, there should be a screw that secures the
radio to the frame of the car by the radio's left mounting bracket, in the
far left corner of the radio cavity. If you do not have to unscrew that to
unmount the radio, then yes, this could be the problem.

"raj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

"raj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

raj

looks like this dint work ...i put a screw to secure the bracket to
the frame but the the problem still persists. I will try puting a bolt
and nut instead of the screw to make sure that the fit is secure... is
there anything else apart from the bracket that i need to look for ?
does the factory amp itself have grounding as well that i need to
check ?

Thanks for all your help

Raj

"mayhemkrew" wrote in message news:1iQ%c.135906$9d6.26477@attbi_s54...
If I remember the Galant correctly, there should be a screw that secures the
radio to the frame of the car by the radio's left mounting bracket, in the
far left corner of the radio cavity. If you do not have to unscrew that to
unmount the radio, then yes, this could be the problem.

"raj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

om...