Michael Beacom

Default 2000 VW Jetta

Hi-

I just bought a 2000 Jetta. It has the Premium stereo (NOT Monsoon), and
a factory CD changer.

I would like to replace the stock radio/ cassette player with a radio/CD
player, and have it controll the stock CD changer. The parts guy at the
local VW dealership says it is a Panasonic CD changer. Am I limited to
getting a Panasonic radio/ CD?

Ideally, the radio would play Audio CDs, MP3s & AC3, have a line input,
and be Sirius capable.

How much of this is possible?

Thanks
Beaker

Masterson

The only radio that comes programed with the VW
data bus protocal is a VW radio.

No aftermarket radio will control the OE changer.

Hi-

I just bought a 2000 Jetta. It has the Premium stereo (NOT Monsoon), and
a factory CD changer.

I would like to replace the stock radio/ cassette player with a radio/CD
player, and have it controll the stock CD changer. The parts guy at the
local VW dealership says it is a Panasonic CD changer. Am I limited to
getting a Panasonic radio/ CD?

Ideally, the radio would play Audio CDs, MP3s & AC3, have a line input,
and be Sirius capable.

How much of this is possible?

Thanks
Beaker

Masterson

Username...

He, and I, were talking about a 2000 VW.

I could give you examples of what works and what doesnt
for others if so asked. I was not talking about a 97 VW.

[...]

Steve Grauman

*Some* Panasonic decks may be able to control the OE CD changer from VW. But
exactly which models will work with it is in question. You can add MP3
capability to your factory radio by getting a Phat Noise system. It works just
like Kenwood's Music Keg system and most VW dealers sell it right out of the
service department, see www.phtanoise.com/vw for more info. Sirius or XM
service can be added to your radio simply by getting a universal kit with an RF
demodulator. Going this route will keep your existing CD changer and deck in
tact as is.

Michael Beacom

In article ,
Michael Beacom wrote:

Hi-

I just bought a 2000 Jetta. It has the Premium stereo (NOT Monsoon), and
a factory CD changer.

Snip

Thanks-

That is about what I was thinking- that only a Panasonic radio has a
chance of working. Maybe the solution is an I-pod and cassette adapter.
(the satalite radio part was for possible future use.)

BTW- VW and Apple had a promotion going, where they included an I-pod
with the purchase of a Beetle. Anyone know how they were getting the
audio into the car radio?

Cheers
Beaker
Michael Beacom

In article ,
(Steve Grauman) wrote:

*Some* Panasonic decks may be able to control the OE CD changer from VW. But
exactly which models will work with it is in question. You can add MP3
capability to your factory radio by getting a Phat Noise system. It works
just
like Kenwood's Music Keg system and most VW dealers sell it right out of the
service department, see
www.phtanoise.com/vw for more info. Sirius or XM
service can be added to your radio simply by getting a universal kit with an
RF
demodulator. Going this route will keep your existing CD changer and deck in
tact as is.

Thanks for your help!

I finally came up with a plan- iPod, & cassette adapter (looking for a
switch, to choose between the iPod and the CD changer.). Waiting on a
head unit that will play AAC encoded music, downloaded thru iTunes. Then
I can put several CDs worth of audio compressed onto a single CDR.
Between the compressed CDRs & the iPod, the CD changer isn't needed.

Cheers
Mike
Scott Gardner

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 04:22:26 GMT, Michael Beacom
wrote:

I finally came up with a plan- iPod, & cassette adapter (looking for a
switch, to choose between the iPod and the CD changer.). Waiting on a
head unit that will play AAC encoded music, downloaded thru iTunes. Then
I can put several CDs worth of audio compressed onto a single CDR.
Between the compressed CDRs & the iPod, the CD changer isn't needed.

Cheers
Mike

/vent on

Don't you just *love* standards? My wife has a 20 Gb Creative Labs
Nomad Jukebox, and I have a 20 Gb iPod. (The iPod hadn't been
introduced when we bought hers). Now, anything I download from iTunes
is in AAC format, which her player doesn't support, and anything she
downloads from MusicMatch is in WMA, which the iPod doesn't support.
Now there's someone in another thread talking about a format
called OGG that's supposed to be better than either WMA or AAC. Know
what?? I don't give a crap *what* the industry standardizes on - I
just which they'd standardize on *something*. Storage space is so
cheap, I don't really care if XYZ compression at 128kbps sounds as
good as ABC compression at 160kbps, if it means I'm going to have to
buy all new hardware to play it.

/vent off

Scott Gardner
Steve Grauman

I download from iTunes
is in AAC format, which her player doesn't support, and anything she
downloads from MusicMatch is in WMA, which the iPod doesn't support.

WMA is a highly lossy format, 128Kbps and higher MP3s will almost always sound
better than a WMA file. The Nomad does play MP3s, I assume.

Now there's someone in another thread talking about a format
called OGG that's supposed to be better than either WMA or AAC.

AAC was developed in conjunction with Dolby Labs, it's 100% lossless and far
superior to any other compression technology I know of. 128Kbps AAC files sound
to me nearly as good as 320Kbps MP3s. I ripped 3 CDs into AAC format through
ITunes, they sound CD-perfect and I can get every song I ripped onto a single
CD-R. Sadly, I don't know of any other hardware that plays AAC files.

Know
what?? I don't give a crap *what* the industry standardizes on - I
just which they'd standardize on *something*

Same here, I also wish they'd pick a standardized format for HD-DVD, but it
keeps hitting delays.
sancho

Now, anything I download from iTunes
is in AAC format, which her player doesn't support, and anything she
downloads from MusicMatch is in WMA, which the iPod doesn't support.

don't any of the pay sites offer .mp3?

Scott Gardner

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:39:59 -0800, "sancho" tR-003.at.ev1.dot.net
wrote:

Now, anything I download from iTunes
is in AAC format, which her player doesn't support, and anything she
downloads from MusicMatch is in WMA, which the iPod doesn't support.

don't any of the pay sites offer .mp3?

No, because there's no way for the .MP3 format to support the digital
copyright protection that the record companies were demanding as part
of the deal.

Scott