Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] electronix4747@gmail.com is offline

Default 2E22 - "300B Pentode"

On Friday, July 31, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Kurt Steffensen wrote:
Gent´s.
2E22 is a DHT tube and has a maximum 40 watts (plate + screen) dissipation
I think the mystery is solved.

2E22 IS a genuie PENTODE.!

I am 100% posetive about that.
I have carefully excamined the ones I have got.

I also now understands why it is refered to as the 300B,
pentode.
The similarity is remarkable.
This can´t hardly be any "accident".

Even the grid, and the filament, are the same structure.
The five weird WE300B, rings on the plate are even on
the 2E22 plate!
The electrode assembly in the 2E22, are however a higher
quality,simply because it is a modern tube.
(The 300B, being developed in 1928-33)

2E22 has smaller bottle than, the 300B.
Also the plate are not as tall, as the 300B.
But as the 2E22 is a 30Watt tube, it all makes sence.

The NEOTRON,made in France, is certainly a pentode.
(Nothing to form any beams are inside)
The other US, TUNGSOL, I can´t prove. (The micas are not
transparent)
But it is unlikely to me that it should be a beam-pentode.
The 2E24, and 2E26 are also reel pentodes...

Now, there is the possibility, that the ones made in US are
with beam-plates , and only the European ones are without...

The arguments for this could be the fact that US-manufacterers
did favour the beam-tubes, and that the EU-manufacterers mainly
produced pentodes.
But it is more likely, to me , that all the 2E22´s are simply
pentodes.

The nickname "300B pentode" has allways sounded wrong,
in my ears.
But now, after having both of them in front of me, at
the same time, I find myself accepting the name.

It is certainly a tube to go for.
(I can´t wait to I have the time to design an amp. with it.)

Halfin in Belgium, and James Whitehouse in Denmark are having
a stock of them. (I do not know their exact prices)
Michael Wiams at Halfin has told me that they sell a lot to
the Japaneese !
I am also pretty sure that Ned Carlsson, can manage to supply
you with 2E22, if needed.(Am I right, Ned ?)

Anyway, compared to the the KT66,KT77,KT88,6L6 , etc.
- the 2E22 seems a better choice, and at a fraction
of the price, charged for these beam´s.........

- sincerely Kurt Steffensen

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 3:41:53 PM UTC-4, wrote: It is also 2017, some 19 years from the original post.