Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
INRI INRI is offline

Default Is SPL additive?

"Eeyore" wrote in message

INRI wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
INRI wrote:

The theoretical sound pressure level from 2 speakers @ 100db each
would
be 106db

The theoretical sound power level for 2 speakers @ 100db each would be
103db

Make you mind up what it is will you ?

Pressure levels are measured in 20log p1/p2 which doubles for every 6db
and
power levels are measured in 10log pw1/pw2 and doubles every 3db

The Sound Pressure reference Level is 0.0002ubar or (2x10E-5N/m*2)

You haven't answered the question have you ?

Graham

Yes

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

INRI wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
INRI wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message
INRI wrote:

The theoretical sound pressure level from 2 speakers @ 100db each
would be 106db

The theoretical sound power level for 2 speakers @ 100db each would be
103db

Make you mind up what it is will you ?

Pressure levels are measured in 20log p1/p2 which doubles for every 6db
and power levels are measured in 10log pw1/pw2 and doubles every 3db

The Sound Pressure reference Level is 0.0002ubar or (2x10E-5N/m*2)

You haven't answered the question have you ?

Yes

No you haven't. It can't be both 103dB AND 106dB at the same time.

I suggest you read this......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_power_level

And this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure_level

Graham

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
INRI INRI is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

INRI wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
INRI wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message
INRI wrote:

The theoretical sound pressure level from 2 speakers @ 100db each
would be 106db

The theoretical sound power level for 2 speakers @ 100db each would
be
103db

Make you mind up what it is will you ?

Pressure levels are measured in 20log p1/p2 which doubles for every
6db
and power levels are measured in 10log pw1/pw2 and doubles every 3db

The Sound Pressure reference Level is 0.0002ubar or (2x10E-5N/m*2)

You haven't answered the question have you ?

Yes

No you haven't. It can't be both 103dB AND 106dB at the same time.

I suggest you read this......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_power_level

And this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure_level

Graham

Its the same as I stated, POWER is not PRESSURE these are two distinct
quantities and show two different ratiometric levels.

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:19:18 +0100, "INRI"
wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

INRI wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
INRI wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message
INRI wrote:

[...]

No, you have it wrong. A sound pressure level of 103dB is 103dB
greater SPL than .0002uBar. That is the constant, if you like. You use
the 10log or 20log ratios to derive power or pressure from that
figure.

The sound level is *not* 103 or 106 depending on how you calculate it.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , Salmon Egg wrote:
On 7/2/07 7:16 PM, in article jkiii.3950$Of2.1615@trnddc06, "Karl Uppiano"
wrote:

No, I was taking issue with Salmon Egg's electrical statements about the
amount of power drawn from constant voltage vs. constant current [sic.]
amplifiers. I thought the statements were wrong, but I wanted to phrase it
in such a way as to not provoke a flame war. I am afraid that by walking on
eggshells to avoid attack, I must have confused a lot of people.

I also wanted to avoid a flame war. That is why I did not respond. Unless
there was some blunder I missed on my part, I was correct. Putting two
speakers in series for a low impedance output amplifier, reduces total power
output to half of what it would be for a single speaker. Double the
impedance; half the current and half the power.

Lets put 4 drivers in series. Same output. 1/4 th power, will handle
4 times the power of one. When your building stacks, these things are very important
to know. You can put 4 woofers close together and basically get this
improvement in efficiency and power handling. You can also feed 4 woofers
into a common exit port, which produces very good phase addition.

greg

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Bob Quintal Bob Quintal is offline

Eeyore wrote in
:

DaveC wrote:

OP here...

I guess I left out a fewe details:
The speakers will be separated by a few inches, aimed
identically (they are driver/horn setups), and driven from
separate identical amplifiers. Amplifier inputs will be
identical.

It looks like, leaving out phase cancellations, the total SPL
will be 106 dB.

No.

103dB.

Graham

I disagree, the doubling of drive by using two amps gives 3dB,
plus the increase due to the beaming of the two drivers is
another 3 dB so 106dB is the output.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

Posted to alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
bert stoltenborg bert stoltenborg is offline

On 3 jul, 10:38, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 01:29:11 -0700, bert stoltenborg

wrote:
Parallel:
+3 dB for extra driver
+3 dB for impedance /2
= 106 dB

That is double-counting. It is simply +3 for the extra driver so
103dB.

Serial:
+3 dB for extra driver
-3 dB for impedance x 2
=100 dB

Again double counting. The power has halved, so it is -3dB or 97dB.

Finally, it all depends on the frequency. At low frequencies it is
103dB, as above. At high frequencies the added driver will change the
directional pattern of the speaker, narrowing the beam. At the highest
frequencies the beam width will be halved, which adds an extra 3dB to
the on-axis response, but reduces it off axis. So the on-axis response
will be 106dB at high frequencies.

Remember:
To much knowledge can drive you insane

Too little is happy land.

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

2 amps = 2 x power = +3dB
impedance / 2 = 2 x power = +3dB
2 speakers = + 3dB
2 speakers in serial = 2 x impedance = -3dB

Or you are re-inventing speaker theory :-)
Introducing all kinds of variables shows you know your stuff, but when
I ask about fundamentals you should start with fundamentals.
Air absorption at large distances, refraction by atmospheric effect
etc are beyond the initial question, if you ask me.
But I'm clearly an idiot.
:-)

Posted to alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 06:11:58 -0700, bert stoltenborg
wrote:

2 amps = 2 x power = +3dB
impedance / 2 = 2 x power = +3dB

Sure - but those are just two ways of saying the same thing. You can't
add together those 3dBs and make it 6dB. It is just 3dB.

2 speakers = + 3dB
2 speakers in serial = 2 x impedance = -3dB

And you are doing it again for the series case. Two speakers only make
+3dB if they are each carrying the same power. In this case they are
not. They are each carrying one quarter of the power (half the voltage
x half the current, in fact) of the single speaker. Together they add
to half the power, hence -3dB. There is nothing to cancel.

Or you are re-inventing speaker theory :-)
Introducing all kinds of variables shows you know your stuff, but when
I ask about fundamentals you should start with fundamentals.
Air absorption at large distances, refraction by atmospheric effect
etc are beyond the initial question, if you ask me.

Quite so - which is why I did not introduce them. But the geometric
effects of two speakers side by side are most certainly within the
scope of the question, particularly when they have an effect that is
as large (at high frequencies) as the simple electrical effect.

But I'm clearly an idiot.
:-)

Nope - you just need to sort out a slight muddle.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech

wrote:
[...]

I wasn't specific aiming at you, Don, more in general.
A lot of answers in this thread are correct.
I tried to see it from the practical side; somebody is hanging two
speakers to an amp, either in parallel or in series.

The poster should prolly redefine the question (as so often).
:-)
Maybe the

Posted to alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech

wrote:
[...]

Of course when you have a source and add the same source, you get + 3
dB increase in spl.

Posted to alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 06:34:28 -0700, bert stoltenborg
wrote:

The poster should prolly redefine the question (as so often).
:-)

Right. But that is easy to say in hindsight. He will either sort the
wheat from the chaff for himself - although if he really needed to ask
in the first place, he probably isn't in a position to do that.

Otherwise, he may gather some of what has occurred he and, as you say,
re-pose the question with some of the blanks filled in.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

wrote:
[...]

SPL and power always get confused.

Two speakers should sound twice as loud as one. But the ears do not
respond that way, but they should. SPL is doubled.

In designing an MTM array, I first read the paper in Speaker Builder
over 20 years ago. I thought Joseph DeAppolito was wrong,
but that was the first time I got enlightned to SPL levels.

If you take two 90 dB sensitivity midranges in the MTM configuration, you
need a 96 dB efficient tweeter to match those midranges, without
any padding.

greg
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Goofball_star_dot_etal Goofball_star_dot_etal is offline

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 04:55:11 GMT, DaveC wrote:

A basic question from an inquisitive commoner.

If two identical speakers with identical drive signal, placed side by side,
each output 100dB, what is the total output dB from the 2 speakers?

Thanks.

Ask Svante.

Posted to alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech

wrote:
[...]

You prolly loose a couple of dB's in the X-over....
:-) sorry, couldn't resist.

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce@cartchunk.org is offline

On Jul 3, 1:21 am, Salmon Egg wrote:
On 7/2/07 8:22 PM, in article , "Eeyore"
Thus if the peakers are
isolated and shielded, you double the power to 10.3bel.

10.3 bel ?
Are you intentionally obfuscating ?

Possibly. What is wrong with using bels instead of decibels?

Well, other than the fact that if you search the relevant literature
on acoustics, and if you search these and related newsgroups,
the number of times you will see "bel" used as you have
totals about one over the last couple of decades.

I know of not a single sound level meter that displays
in "bels" instead of :decibels," do you? I know of no
speaker manufacturer that states their products'
sensitivity figures in "bels" instead of "decibels," do
you? I know of no calibrated audio faders, attenuators,
amplifiers and such that state their gain or loss in terms
of "bels" instead of "decibels," do you? When is the last
time you saw a filter slope specified in "bels per octave?"
I have never seen a CD player with a dynamic range
specified as "9.6 bels," have you?

When is the last time you went to a hardware store
and bought a 1/48 foot 240 thread per inch machine
screw? How about a blank panel for your 0.5277777
yard rack enclosure? Or took your kids temperature and
got really frightened when it was 310.15 K?

Most assuredly, numerically, 10.3 bels is perfectly valid.
So is 310.15 K for a normal body temperature 98.6F
or 37C, and your 19" rack cabinet is indeed 0.5277777
yards wide. So what?

What problem did you hope to solve by ignoring the
lingua franca of the domain in which you were
speaking?

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

INRI wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
INRI wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
INRI wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
INRI wrote:

[...]

You simply haven't a clue have you. From that comment I'm sure you can't have
read it in detail. The ratiometrric aspect 'comes out in the wash' because
you're measuring 2 different things.

It certainly doesn't make 103dB = 106dB. dB in this example is short for dB SPL
anyway (not dBW). Most ppl lazily don't bother putting SPL after the dB. For any
given signal the dB change is the same whether you measure it by power or
pressure/voltage. It *has* to be by definition or dBs would be worthless.

Graham

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

"INRI" wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message
INRI wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message

You haven't answered the question have you ?

Yes

No you haven't. It can't be both 103dB AND 106dB at the same time.

I suggest you read this......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_power_level

And this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure_level

Its the same as I stated, POWER is not PRESSURE these are two distinct
quantities and show two different ratiometric levels.

No, you have it wrong. A sound pressure level of 103dB is 103dB
greater SPL than .0002uBar. That is the constant, if you like. You use
the 10log or 20log ratios to derive power or pressure from that
figure.

The sound level is *not* 103 or 106 depending on how you calculate it.

Whatever happened to decent education ?

Graham

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

GregS wrote:

Lets put 4 drivers in series.

Why ?

Same output. 1/4 th power, will handle
4 times the power of one. When your building stacks, these things are very important
to know. You can put 4 woofers close together and basically get this
improvement in efficiency

Utter and complete nonsense.

I suppose you believe in 'free energy' and perpetual motion too ?

You do not get 'something for nothing', nor is it even remotely relevant whether speakers are in
series, parallel or driven separately from individual amps.

Graham

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Bob Quintal wrote:

Eeyore wrote in
DaveC wrote:

OP here...

I guess I left out a fewe details:
The speakers will be separated by a few inches, aimed
identically (they are driver/horn setups), and driven from
separate identical amplifiers. Amplifier inputs will be
identical.

It looks like, leaving out phase cancellations, the total SPL
will be 106 dB.

No.

103dB.

I disagree, the doubling of drive by using two amps gives 3dB,
plus the increase due to the beaming of the two drivers is
another 3 dB so 106dB is the output.

Beaming on what axis.

The OP never stated where he was measuring btw.

Graham

Posted to alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

bert stoltenborg wrote:

2 amps = 2 x power = +3dB
impedance / 2 = 2 x power = +3dB

That's 'double counting'.

Graham

Posted to alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

bert stoltenborg wrote:

Of course when you have a source and add the same source, you get + 3
dB increase in spl.

Thank you ! Why didn't you say that in the first place ?

The OP asked a simple enough question and a bunch of right idiots had to
over-complicate and obfuscate about it.

Graham

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , Eeyore wrote:

GregS wrote:

Lets put 4 drivers in series.

Why ?

Same output. 1/4 th power, will handle
4 times the power of one. When your building stacks, these things are very

important
to know. You can put 4 woofers close together and basically get this
improvement in efficiency

Utter and complete nonsense.

I suppose you believe in 'free energy' and perpetual motion too ?

You do not get 'something for nothing', nor is it even remotely relevant
whether speakers are in
series, parallel or driven separately from individual amps.

You would probably say, horn enclosures-drivers cannot
create more efficiency too, right?? So how do horn enclosures
create more efficiency??

Same way as multiple drivers!!!!!

greg
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Bob Quintal Bob Quintal is offline

Eeyore wrote in
:

Bob Quintal wrote:

Eeyore wrote in
DaveC wrote:

OP here...

I guess I left out a fewe details:
The speakers will be separated by a few inches, aimed
identically (they are driver/horn setups), and driven from
separate identical amplifiers. Amplifier inputs will be
identical.

It looks like, leaving out phase cancellations, the total

SPL
will be 106 dB.

No.

103dB.

I disagree, the doubling of drive by using two amps gives

3dB,
plus the increase due to the beaming of the two drivers is
another 3 dB so 106dB is the output.

Beaming on what axis.

On Axis. Nobody really cares about off axis. People have gotten
all kefuffled about comb filtering, but it will not occur at all
on axis, and only becomes noticeable when the difference in
distance from the focal point of each radiator is close to an
odd multiple of 1/2 wavelength of the frequency being radiated.

The OP never stated where he was measuring btw.

Do you measure input impedance at the output of an amp?
some things are understood when filtered through common sense.

Graham

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

GregS wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
GregS wrote:

Lets put 4 drivers in series.

Why ?

Same output. 1/4 th power, will handle 4 times the power of one. When your building stacks,

these things are very important to know. You can put 4 woofers close together and basically get
this improvement in efficiency.

Speaker 'stacks' do not put 4 drivers in series btw. That kind of speaker went out of widespread use
about 30 yrs ago btw.

Utter and complete nonsense.

I suppose you believe in 'free energy' and perpetual motion too ?

You do not get 'something for nothing', nor is it even remotely relevant
whether speakers are in series, parallel or driven separately from individual amps.

You would probably say, horn enclosures-drivers cannot
create more efficiency too, right?? So how do horn enclosures
create more efficiency??

The horn is an 'acoustic transformer' that better matches the (high) acoustic impedance of the driver
to the load (the auditorium) resulting in greater power transfer.

Same way as multiple drivers!!!!!

No, they're *completely* different. In any event, a horn is (usually) a single driver.

If you know that little about the subject you ought to shut the **** up.

Graham

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Bob Quintal Bob Quintal is offline

Eeyore wrote in
:

Bob Quintal wrote:

Eeyore wrote

The OP never stated where he was measuring btw.

Do you measure input impedance at the output of an amp?
some things are understood when filtered through common
sense.

What's that got to do with anything ?

It's common sense to talk about on axis for discussions of SPL
increase due to beamforming/coupling, not beside or behind the
speaker array.

Direct on axis measurements have relatively little to do with
what a speaker may sound like in a room / auditorium.

So you face your speakers to the ceiling ???

In short, 2 speakers will NOT sound 6dB louder for most
listeners. They will be 3dB louder.

So you think John Meyer, the people at JBL, the folks at Renkus-
Heinz. Howard Tremayne and many others are all spouting
bullcrap. In a proper installation, the sound field over the
primary listening area does increase six(6) dB when using a pair
of close-coupled speakers versus a single speaker.

I got news for you boy. Read the engineering documents. You
don't have to weep, but you won't be able to deny the facts.

Or you can accept the fact that when I set up a system and had
one cabinet on each side of the stage go offline, the level at
FOH dropped 6 dB. I measured it live, and the ambient sound mic
on my video recorder still drops 6 dB at the point where the
drunk tripped over the AC supply for phase B.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Salmon Egg wrote:

"DaveC" wrote:

OP here...

I guess I left out a fewe details:
The speakers will be separated by a few inches, aimed identically (they are
driver/horn setups), and driven from separate identical amplifiers. Amplifier
inputs will be identical.

It looks like, leaving out phase cancellations, the total SPL will be 106 dB.

Sorry. It depends on the frequency. If the frequency is high enough so that
the measured sound field is primarily radiated field, The level will have
peaks of 10.6B

106dB.

while the average over space will be only 10.3B.

103dB. Yes. And that's the *important* one. The *average*.

What may happen at some very specific point on axis is of almost no consequence
whatever to a typical listener..

And get over your stupid use of bels will you ? Are you deliberately trying to
confuse the OP ?

Graham

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Salmon Egg Salmon Egg is offline

On 7/2/07 11:43 PM, in article , "Eeyore"
wrote:

The statements are broadly contradictory. Either the acoustic radiation
impedance is a small contributor to the driver impedance as a whole (which
means
that there can only be an even smaller effect from coupling ) or it isn't.

This will be my last response on this point to Eeyore.

At low frequency, the acoustic radiation impedance of an ordinary speaker is
going to be small compared to the total speaker impedance. The radiation
impedance will get smaller as the frequency lowers. Small as that radiation
impedance may get, it is only the electrical current flowing through that
impedance that tells how much electrical power gets converted into acoustic
power.

At low frequencies, the amplitude of radiated sound cannot change much over
distance of 1/8 wavelength or so. Moreover, diffraction means that low
frequency sound will enter all nooks and crannies. To the extent that sound
pressure from speaker A works over to speaker B, speaker B will have to work
harder. This shows up as a change in Speaker B' radiation impedance. Small
as this change may be, it still will be of the same order as the single
speaker's already low radiation impedance.

For me, it is easier to picture the same situation with short antenna
elements. The RADIATED field components are going be the same at a driving
element and another nearby element. For low frequencies very little power is
radiated, but combining many elements cause the impedance seen at each
element to go up, thereby increasing total radiated power in proportion to
the square of the number of elements.

You may argue that speakers are not antennas, but the many principles of
wave propagation transfer between electromagnetism and acoustics and water
waves.

Bill
-- Support the troops. Impeach Bush. Oh, I forgot about Cheney.

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Salmon Egg wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote:

You may argue that speakers are not antennas, but the many principles of
wave propagation transfer between electromagnetism and acoustics and water
waves.

I agree entirely on that point. Another reason you can't just add SPLs as if
they were voltages in a circuit.

Graham

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Salmon Egg Salmon Egg is offline

On 7/3/07 7:34 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

[...]

I want to break the mold. There is nothing wrong with using bels as units
rather than decibels!

Having done some photography and having used Wratten neutral density filters
got me into this crusade. The neutral density number is merely the optical
attenuation given in bels.

Bill
--
Iraq: About three Virginia Techs a month

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

wrote:

[...]

Take the phased vertical array antenna. It provides gain in 360 deg field.
You can also take a vertical array of acoustic drivers, and get the same effect.
Well I guess the same thing goes in the horizontal plane, a little harder to
control.

greg

You may argue that speakers are not antennas, but the many principles of
wave propagation transfer between electromagnetism and acoustics and water
waves.

Bill
-- Support the troops. Impeach Bush. Oh, I forgot about Cheney.

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:38:23 -0700, Salmon Egg
wrote:

I want to break the mold. There is nothing wrong with using bels as units
rather than decibels!

Look, 2 barn megaparsecs make one teaspoon (British, not American),
but I think we will continue using the teaspoon in cookery. Please
stick with normal nomenclature - it really does make life easier for
everybody. Just write letters to The Times in green ink if you really
feel the need to be a rebel.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Salmon Egg wrote:

" wrote:

What problem did you hope to solve by ignoring the
lingua franca of the domain in which you were
speaking?

I want to break the mold. There is nothing wrong with using bels as units
rather than decibels!

Nor is there anything good about it.

Would you choose to measure length in decimetres ?

Graham

Posted to alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
DaveC DaveC is offline

So the on-axis response will be 106dB at high frequencies.

OP here...

f ~ 25-30 KHz.

Not for listening pleasure. Pure sine wave input for experiment. "Target
distance" is ~ 30 meters outdoors.

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:12:32 GMT, DaveC wrote:

So the on-axis response will be 106dB at high frequencies.

OP here...

f ~ 25-30 KHz.

Not for listening pleasure. Pure sine wave input for experiment. "Target
distance" is ~ 30 meters outdoors.

Thanks,

Is that 25kHz to 30kHz or 25Hz to 30kHz?

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

DaveC wrote:
OP here...

I guess I left out a fewe details:
The speakers will be separated by a few inches, aimed identically
(they are driver/horn setups), and driven from separate identical
amplifiers. Amplifier inputs will be identical.

It looks like, leaving out phase cancellations, the total SPL will be
106 dB.

No. 103dB. Double the power is a 3dB rise (3.01dB if youwant to be
predantic).

geoff

Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

INRI wrote:

Its the same as I stated, POWER is not PRESSURE these are two
distinct quantities and show two different ratiometric levels.

And he is not doubling the pressure, he is doubling the power. So 3dB

geoff