My Last Sigh

Default Soldering help

Hello, I am going to invest in cable and connectors, but I wanted to first
learn DIY soldering techniques, preferably for simple cable connectors. Can
someone provide a link to a site with photos and tips, and maybe possible
purchase recommendations? Thanks!

Steve Urbach

On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:13:12 -0700, "My Last Sigh"
wrote:

Hello, I am going to invest in cable and connectors, but I wanted to first
learn DIY soldering techniques, preferably for simple cable connectors. Can
someone provide a link to a site with photos and tips, and maybe possible
purchase recommendations? Thanks!

IMHO do NOT buy a soldering GUN.
If you are only going to do a small or one time project:
Buy a 30-40W soldering pencil Like Radio Shack has:
http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...7%5F000&Page=1

If you are in this for the long run, Get a Weller Soldering station
and an assortment of tip shapes.
I use the WTCP
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...g%20Station s

You will also need a Solder Sucker tool like the "Soldapulit"
http://www.edsyn.com/main.asp?inc=overdesolder

I like the upper models that have a high volume pull( great for
clearing contact solder cups).

Tips
Smooth tip.
Proper heat.
Clean on damp sponge or cotton rag (no nylon G) and Tin immediately
(That means apply some fresh solder.)
Apply the flat of the tip to the side of the contact solder well or if
tinning wire, mid point on the stripped area.
Apply solder into the cup or the OPPOSITE side of the wire from the
tip. The heat should cause the solder to FLOW toward the tip.
If needed for irregular surfaces, apply a small amount to the tip
ANDTHEN
follow the above.
Applying all the solder at the tip will allow "Cold Solder Joints" to
happen frequently.
Remove the heat as soon as the solder has flowed. Overheating lifts
pads, damages insulation and components.

Clean that tip on the sponge before every connection and a tiny dab of
solder.
, _
, | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
, | )erek No JUNK in my email please
, ____|_/ragonsclaw
, / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped?
http://www.grid.org
B. Peg

I also like the R.S. solder that has a bit of silver in it. I believe it is
60-37-3 silver and of a small diameter. Spool lasts a long time although it
is rather expensive compared to the regular non-silver solders. Connections
always turn out shiny and bright with it.

B~

Chris Hornbeck

On Wed, 25 May 2005 00:01:08 GMT, Steve Urbach
wrote:

Excellent stuff snipped

And leave the iron dirty. Or at least wetted.

Chris Hornbeck
"As always, your mileage may vary, caveat emptor, save your receipt."
-John Hardy
John Halliburton

IMHO do NOT buy a soldering GUN.

Agreed, never buy a soldering gun.

If you are only going to do a small or one time project:
Buy a 30-40W soldering pencil Like Radio Shack has:
http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...7%5F000&Page=1

The only caveat about a pencil style is that you may have trouble soldering
quickly. The idea is to have heating capacity at a certain temperature to
avoid heating too slowly, which actually can cause things like melting
plastic around the pin on the connector. Get in, solder promptly, get out.

I have gone through too many WTCP stations over the past five years. They
don't cut it for me. The more expensive Weller stations, the W80 I believe
is the only one from Weller I can recommend. I went back to Hakko
soldering stations.

I like the 936, built well, reasonably priced.
http://www.action-electronics.com/hakko.htm

That was just the first Google result I found with the 936. I don't have
any opinion either way about the seller.

You will also need a Solder Sucker tool like the "Soldapulit"
http://www.edsyn.com/main.asp?inc=overdesolder

I also keep some desoldering braid handy. Sometimes it works better than a
sucker.

Best regards,

John

Pooh Bear

Steve Urbach wrote:

If you are in this for the long run, Get a Weller Soldering station and an assortment of tip shapes.
I use the WTCP
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...g%20Station s

The *industry standard*. Expensive though.

To simply solder cables it's unlikely you'll need a temperature controlled iron.

For serious soldering you cetainly do !

Graham

Richard Crowley

"John Halliburton" wrote ...
I have gone through too many WTCP stations over the past five years.

I've got several that are decades old and working just fine.
One that has been dropped so many times it is held together
with cable-ties, but still works fine.

I also keep some desoldering braid handy. Sometimes it works better
than a sucker.

I prefer to just heat up the pin and then hold the connector (with the
solder cup down) while I whack my palm against the edge of the table.
Clears out all the solder, wire, etc. Cheap and effective. Can't beat
that
combination.

Richard Crowley

"My Last Sigh" wrote ...
Hello, I am going to invest in cable and connectors, but I
wanted to first learn DIY soldering techniques, preferably
for simple cable connectors. Can someone provide a link
to a site with photos and tips, and maybe possible purchase
recommendations? Thanks!

An interesting suggestion I saw on another newsgroup (maybe
news:alt.binaries.schematics.electronic?) Get yourself some
junker equipment and practice soldering and un-soldering things
where you have nothing at stake.

If you do buy a cheap Radio Shack soldering iron (or something
without a fancy stand) be sure to use a damp sponge or equivalent
to clean the tip every time you pick up the iron to solder something.
Out in the field, in a pinch, I have used damp paper towels. As
long as you keep it moist, it won't burn.
John O

You will also need a Solder Sucker tool like the "Soldapulit"

I also keep some desoldering braid handy. Sometimes it works better
than a sucker.

I prefer to just heat up the pin and then hold the connector (with the
solder cup down) while I whack my palm against the edge of the table.
Clears out all the solder, wire, etc. Cheap and effective. Can't beat
that combination.

All these methods work well, I used them all during my time as a Heathkit
service tech. I'd owned a soldapulit for a long time, but eventually found
that a simple bulb was faster and easier to use with two hands, and far
easier to clean. (http://www.action-electronics.com/desolder.htm) I'd go
with the braid (wick), the bulb, and the whack-it methods.

commercial plug warning
Heathkit sells a 'learn to solder' course and a video that demonstrates the
techniques. I *do* have an interest in this company. You can find them (us)
on the web at the obvious url.

-John O

Scott Dorsey

Richard Crowley wrote:
"My Last Sigh" wrote ...
Hello, I am going to invest in cable and connectors, but I
wanted to first learn DIY soldering techniques, preferably
for simple cable connectors. Can someone provide a link
to a site with photos and tips, and maybe possible purchase
recommendations? Thanks!

An interesting suggestion I saw on another newsgroup (maybe
news:alt.binaries.schematics.electronic?) Get yourself some
junker equipment and practice soldering and un-soldering things
where you have nothing at stake.

Absolutely. PC power supplies are a good thing for this, because they have
a huge variety of different component sizes. You can try and remove huge
transformer pins and tiny DIP pins alike, without lifting traces or overheating
anything.
Scott Dorsey

John O wrote:

commercial plug warning
Heathkit sells a 'learn to solder' course and a video that demonstrates the
techniques. I *do* have an interest in this company. You can find them (us)
on the web at the obvious url.

This is a very good course and I recommend it. Also there used to be a US
Army self-study course that might be online somewhere, and which is very good.