Scott Dorsey

Robert Orban wrote:

I have a 4-track 1/2" Ampex AG-300 in my basement, which was a stock Ampex
model using the 300 transport and solid state electronics. It still works,
more or less, although it needs a tune-up and some lubrication. I admit that I
have not measured flutter or speed stability on it. But tape-to-head contact
seems fine (based on reproduction of 15 kHz alignment tapes).

My worry would indeed be flutter, mostly from the indirect drive but also
scrape flutter. It gets worse when the rubber surface on the transfer wheel
thing goes.... you can replace or recap the pinch roller but the big wheel
is a problem. Words can't express how much time I have wasted trying to
get flutter on those transports down to something reasonable, and using
reels that are twice as heavy doesn't seem like a way to reduce flutter
(although you do get twice the contact area on the capstan).