Default Stereo XLR Mic Question

Hi,

I just bought a Boss BR-864 Digital Recorder and a Audio-Techica AT825
Omni-Directional mic. The AT825 came with a cable that splits the mic
end 5 pin XLR connection into (2) 3 pin XLRM left and right connections.
My BR864 only has (1) 3 pin XLRF connection. Can anyone tell me how
to use this mic to record to stereo on the BR864? Can I get a Y cable
that combines the (2) 3 pin XLRM stereo channels into (1) 3 pin XLRM
stereo connection to connect to the BR864? I am new to audio recording
so any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan
Richard Crowley

wrote in message
Hi,

I just bought a Boss BR-864 Digital Recorder and a Audio-Techica AT825
Omni-Directional mic. The AT825 came with a cable that splits the mic end
5 pin XLR connection into (2) 3 pin XLRM left and right connections. My
BR864 only has (1) 3 pin XLRF connection. Can anyone tell me how to use
this mic to record to stereo on the BR864? Can I get a Y cable that
combines the (2) 3 pin XLRM stereo channels into (1) 3 pin XLRM stereo
connection to connect to the BR864? I am new to audio recording so any
help is greatly appreciated.

Looking at a picture of the back, it would appear to have only
one mic input. You may have to use an external mixer or at least
mic preamp to feed line level into your recorder. Assuming that
it records more than one channel at once?

On 12/1/2004 10:10 PM, Richard Crowley wrote:
wrote in message

Hi,

I just bought a Boss BR-864 Digital Recorder and a Audio-Techica AT825
Omni-Directional mic. The AT825 came with a cable that splits the mic end
5 pin XLR connection into (2) 3 pin XLRM left and right connections. My
BR864 only has (1) 3 pin XLRF connection. Can anyone tell me how to use
this mic to record to stereo on the BR864? Can I get a Y cable that
combines the (2) 3 pin XLRM stereo channels into (1) 3 pin XLRM stereo
connection to connect to the BR864? I am new to audio recording so any
help is greatly appreciated.

Looking at a picture of the back, it would appear to have only
one mic input. You may have to use an external mixer or at least
mic preamp to feed line level into your recorder. Assuming that
it records more than one channel at once?

The RCA L-R Line Level Input can be recorded to two tracks. I am not
yet clear if this RCA L-R Input can be recorded to one track with two
channels.

The mic is powered by a internal AA battery. Can you recommend a
pre-amp/mixer that would take the (2) L-R XLR-M outputs and output to
two L-R RCA-M outputs?

Thanks,
Dan
Arny Krueger

wrote in message

I just bought a Boss BR-864 Digital Recorder and a Audio-Techica AT825
Omni-Directional mic.

You've misidentified this mic. It's a stereo condensor mic which is highly
significant to your question.

http://www.audio-technica.com./prodp...les/AT825.html

The AT825 came with a cable that splits the mic
end 5 pin XLR connection into (2) 3 pin XLRM left and right
connections.

In essence your AT 825 is two more-or-less independent microphones.

My BR864 only has (1) 3 pin XLRF connection.

That's because tghe BR 864 is potentially useful as a mono recording device.
See below.

Can anyone tell me how to use this mic to record to stereo on the BR864?

Get a stereo mic preamp or two mono mic preamps and route them in through
the stereo line level inputs. Note, it appears that the only stereo input on
the BR864 are line level.

Can I get a Y cable that combines the (2) 3 pin XLRM stereo channels
into (1) 3 pin XLRM stereo connection to connect to the BR864?

That won't be stereo!

I am new to audio recording so any help is greatly appreciated.

Note that you can record stereo on your Boss a track at a time.

If you say record your drum track with one of the two mics in the AT 825,
and then record an acoustic guitar track with the AT 825 while listening to
your drum track, you will indeed have stereo if you play both tracks in
stereo.

normanstrong

wrote in message
Hi,

I just bought a Boss BR-864 Digital Recorder and a Audio-Techica

AT825
Omni-Directional mic. The AT825 came with a cable that splits the

mic
end 5 pin XLR connection into (2) 3 pin XLRM left and right

connections.
My BR864 only has (1) 3 pin XLRF connection. Can anyone tell me

how
to use this mic to record to stereo on the BR864? Can I get a Y

cable
that combines the (2) 3 pin XLRM stereo channels into (1) 3 pin XLRM
stereo connection to connect to the BR864? I am new to audio

recording
so any help is greatly appreciated.

You bought the wrong recorder. Take it back and buy one that records
from a stereo mike--which is what the AT825 is. Something tells me
that you took some bad advice from a salesman.

Norm Strong

On 12/2/2004 1:42 PM, normanstrong wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

To get a dual XLR recorder is going to be at least $800. I think I
might instead buy a MixPre from Sound Devices from audiomidi.com. This
will give better control of the sound mixing which I can then pipe into
the BR-864. Either that or return the Br864 and get a BR1180. Any
opinions as to which is way is better?

Dan

'90 Pontiac Sunbird stereo question William Filcox Car Audio 10 April 1st 05 11:26 PM
Stereo Mic Question Daniel Stover Tech 0 August 8th 04 11:09 PM
Ford Escape stereo installation question. M.G. Car Audio 1 September 6th 03 01:26 PM
Unusual Case - Connecting pc to stereo help please! Stereo Guy Tech 3 September 1st 03 12:25 PM
NEWBIE QUESTION: Need HELP With SOUNDCRAFT MIXER! HWBossHoss Pro Audio 1 August 5th 03 02:43 PM