Max Hauser

Default RC4558 Variants IC OP amp

"Phil Allison" in ...

"Max Hauser" wrote:

** The RC4558 was *introduced * in 1974 by Raytheon

Sorry! I screwed up there, forgetting the actual RC4558 (and the focus of
this thread) in the haunting maze of other and more common dual op amps of
at least three distinct designs all called some kind of -558, as follows (if
you're interested). It was not the RC4558 I referred to in the previous
posting. More on op amps in general at the end, and a glorious historical
link.

Some history. The original, Motorola MC1558, was explicitly a dual 741.
Its significance was partly 8-pin package, unlike earlier Fairchild and
National 14-pin dual-741 types. (I also remember an early dual 741 from
Raytheon, RC4136 I think, 8 pin also? -- that memory is from the early 1970s
so don't hold me to precision there.) The MC1558 was supplemented by
Motorola's high-speed version (MC1558S) as Jim Thompson, working there at
the time, recalled recently, 22-Feb-04 in sci.electronics.design -- the
second distinct circuit. These early "558" op amps were popular and became
second-sourced soon by other vendors one of which, as I recall, called
theirs "5558" to conform to the firm's product numbering. None of these
products was the RC4558, a later design with PNP input stage. (Motorola
itself then proceeded itself to second-source the RC4558 too.) In 1974 (not
1973) I put a circuit in _Popular Electronics_ calling for a "558-type" dual
op amp, intending a 1558 or one of its second-sourced, slightly
different-numbered versions. This yielded a file of correspondence to me in
California from hobbyists as distant as Selangor, Malaysia (I just checked
the file) full of requests for clarification on the "558" part number, an
issue haunting me still, as you see. :-(

- it is of quite *different* design to the uA741 (released
in 1968) or MC1458 (a dual 741).

Regarding comparisons to 741, Mr Allison employs a close-up lens, mine is a
zoom. In the context of the popular Philbrick K2-W and K2-XA vacuum-tube
DC-coupled op amps (still in use! _mirabile dictu_), the many successful
solid-state pre-monolithic op amps including the breakthrough Philbrick P2
and P65, low-cost Nexus SQ10A, several from NV Philips; early monolithic
generations of low-voltage three-stage, then high-voltage three-stage, then
high-voltage two-stage designs (Fullagar's 741, Widlar's LM101), the duals
we are discussing, the low-cost National "quad 741" (Fredrickson's LM324),
Lovelace's NE5532, Huijsing ("Professor Op Amp")'s NE5534, the mixed-process
op amps of the middle 1970s, and many others, it's possible to observe in
the RC4558a bipolar design with mirror-loaded input stage, NPN Darlington
second gain stage, complementary emitter-follower output stage, and internal
single-pole minor-loop frequency compensation (popularized by the Philbrick
K2 family, not the much later 741 as the young engineers suppose). It is
possible to find designs that are indeed nearer to the original 741, but not
many -- which is why some people would call it a 741-class design. (It also
has the internal fixed unity-gain freq compensation decried as a limitation
in Jim Roberge's classic op-amp design text -- I cited the result, a
performance limitation apt to yield audible distortion.) I have some
experience designing monolithic op amps (one-, two-, and three-gain-stage
types, bipolar and MOS, some fast, some low-noise, some just weird) so maybe
I lump more designs into the "741 class" than the next person might choose
to do.

If anyone would like to really learn about op amps and their ways, from a
long focus, one of the Primary Sources that taught the world about op amps,
the 1965 Philbrick Applications Manual, is now online, thanks in part I
believe to one of its authors (Dan Sheingold). The current link is

http://www.analog.com/library/analog...mplifiers.html

-- be sure to re-assemble and paste into your browser, if the line gets
wrapped to more than one.

Again I hope this will find some use to someone, and apologize for still
mixing "558" part numbers after thirty years. -- Max Hauser

unitron

"Max Hauser" wrote in message ...

snip

...(I also remember an early dual 741 from
Raytheon, RC4136 I think, 8 pin also? -- that memory is from the early 1970s
so don't hold me to precision there.)

I thought the 4136 was a 14 or 16 pin quad. Where's Lou Garner when
you need him :-)

Phil Allison

"unitron"

...(I also remember an early dual 741 from
Raytheon, RC4136 I think, 8 pin also? -- that memory is from the early

1970s
so don't hold me to precision there.)

I thought the 4136 was a 14 or 16 pin quad.

** The RC4136 is a 14 pin quad version of the RC4558 dual op-amp.

It has an unusual pin out for a quad - the outputs are not in each
corner .

The TL075 has the same odd pin out as the 4136.

............ Phil

Max Hauser

"unitron" in m...

I thought the 4136 was a 14 or 16 pin quad. Where's Lou Garner
when you need him :-)

Bullseye, "unitron!" (You knew, I assume, that my "558" circuit in
PopTronics was in Lou Garner's department, and introduced by him.)

Lou Garner was one of those influential constructive teachers of technology.
The Philbrick apps literature I cited earlier was too, aimed more at
professionals while Garner wrote to hobbyists -- overlapping groups, then as
now.

Richard Kuschel

Front end op amps for a Fender guitar amp, (Stage Lead circa 1982).

Which of these would be the proper replacement, looking for low noise, the
lead channel has very high gain.

Texas Instruments has the following part numbers.

RC4558D
RC4558DR
RC4558P
RC4558PSR
RC4558PWR

What would be the differences?

any help appreciated,

Vin Collins

Not that it is going to matter much in a guitar amp. but you might try a 5532
instead.

Straight drop in replacement and contrary to what somebody said about sockets,
They are preferable to soldered IC's. Digikey has some very fine machined pin
sockets gfor about 90 cents each.

Peavey socketed every IC that they used for 25 years and I have never seen a
failure due to a socket.
Richard H. Kuschel

JVC

Peavey socketed every IC that they used for 25 years and I have never seen

failure due to a socket.

I concur, never seen a problem with any socketed stuff in amps, but i guess
it would be possible, maybe a dab of silicone under the chip just to make
sure?

Vin

"Richard Kuschel" wrote in message

[...]

unitron

"JVC" wrote in message .. .
Front end op amps for a Fender guitar amp, (Stage Lead circa 1982).

Which of these would be the proper replacement, looking for low noise, the
lead channel has very high gain.

Texas Instruments has the following part numbers.

RC4558D
RC4558DR
RC4558P
RC4558PSR
RC4558PWR

What would be the differences?

any help appreciated,

Vin Collins

It's almost too unlikely to happen to warrant mention, but just in
case, you should be aware that there is an integrated circuit used to
generate timing pulses and this chip is often referred to as a "555".
There's a dual version known as a "556" and a quad version, a lot more
rare than the 555 and 556, called, you guessed it, a 558. Be sure you
aren't getting a replacement for that chip.

Dick Pierce

"JVC" wrote in message . ..
Peavey socketed every IC that they used for 25 years and I have never seen
a failure due to a socket.

I concur, never seen a problem with any socketed stuff in amps, but i guess
it would be possible, maybe a dab of silicone under the chip just to make
sure?

ACK! Absolutely not! One of the by-products of the curing process
is the release of acetic acid, which will wreak havoc on any electrical
connections. Another issue is that you'll now have this glob of
crap that will, in the future, prevent proper seating and may even
force the chip out. Third issue, what do you do when you need to get
the chip out for real?

Bad idea, really bad idea.

JVC

I remember the old 555, built a bunch of guitar effects back in the
seventies from Craig Anderton's book, i used the 555 to make a ring
modulator ckt IIRC,, long time ago, and about the last time I worked with IC
stuff!!!

Vin

"unitron" wrote in message
om...
"JVC" wrote in message

.. .
[...]

JVC

Hi Dick,

You are right, after I posted it, I started thinking about the caustic
effects, remember seeing a thread about silly con over in RAT a while
back,,,,

this IC stuff is freaking me out!!

Vin

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message