TonyP

Default Can I make an SPL Meter cheaply?

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:16:24 +1100, "TonyP"
wrote:

Do you know the difference between a relative frequency response curve

and
absolute SPL?

Yup. But we do not know what the OP is going to use it for.

Lets see, a SPL meter is commonly used to measure SPL right?

and, for the price, they're effective.

For the price they may be useful if a totally unknown level of

measurement
uncertainty is acceptable for the intended application.

??? Do you know the intended application? AFAIK, it was never
described.

My statement is quite clear, unlike yours.

TonyP.

Kalman Rubinson

This is getting silly. The OP did not state what he wanted to do but
he did set a $50 limit on the project. An RS meter with a correction
will get him approximate and relative readings. Do you have a useful
suggestion?

Kal

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:24:58 +1100, "TonyP"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Do you know the difference between a relative frequency response curve

and
absolute SPL?

Yup. But we do not know what the OP is going to use it for.

Lets see, a SPL meter is commonly used to measure SPL right?

and, for the price, they're effective.

For the price they may be useful if a totally unknown level of

measurement
uncertainty is acceptable for the intended application.

??? Do you know the intended application? AFAIK, it was never
described.

My statement is quite clear, unlike yours.

TonyP.

Dick Pierce

wrote:

Do you know the difference between a relative frequency response curve

and
absolute SPL?

Yup. But we do not know what the OP is going to use it for.

Lets see, a SPL meter is commonly used to measure SPL right?

Actually, very often it is not. An SPL meter is designed to measure
the total sound level of broad-band noise and sound sources. But
many people assume they can be used to measure frequency response.
That is something MOST sound level meters, even very good ones, are
NOT designed to do. I have a number of B&K, GR HP and other sound
level meters, and I would never use a one of them for measuring
frequency response.

So, yes, it IS kinda important to know what teh OP is trying to do.

and, for the price, they're effective.

For the price they may be useful if a totally unknown level of

measurement
uncertainty is acceptable for the intended application.

??? Do you know the intended application? AFAIK, it was never
described.

My statement is quite clear, unlike yours.

Yes, and, unfortunately, it's wrong: to those that now, the measurement
of sound pressure level with an SPL meter means one thing, but to most
people, seemingly a large number who participate in this newsgroup,
it means something else. That's not an insult: it's simply a statement
of observable fact: measuring SPL is NOT the same as measuring acoustical
frequency response.

So, the question still stands: what is the the original poster
trying to do? Measure sound level? Measure it to determine aural
fatigue or potential damage? Measuring it as part of determining
speech intelligiability? using it to measure the frequency response
of speakers? Setting up his home theater system?

Guess what, all these applications have DIFFERENT answers!

So, DO you know the intended application? Your statement is clear,
but useless.

gregs

In article , Kalman Rubinson wrote:
This is getting silly. The OP did not state what he wanted to do but
he did set a $50 limit on the project. An RS meter with a correction
will get him approximate and relative readings. Do you have a useful
suggestion?

Kal

I gather most requests for a SPL meter in a audio group might mean they
are looking for a device to calibrate SP in a way to measure frequency response.
Am I wrong? Yes, it is possible to make a cheap meter. I have done it.
Its also possible to use a microphone with a known response, to
either have it hooked up to a homemade metering circuit, or just plug it into another
device, like a tape deck, or even a spectrum analyzer of the inexpensive type. A
computer can also be used. To calibrate for absolute levels, another calibration
source is also required. For relative measurments its not necessary.

greg

TonyP

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message
m...

u...
wrote:
Do you know the difference between a relative frequency response

curve
and
absolute SPL?
Yup. But we do not know what the OP is going to use it for.

Lets see, a SPL meter is commonly used to measure SPL right?

Actually, very often it is not. An SPL meter is designed to measure
the total sound level of broad-band noise and sound sources. But
many people assume they can be used to measure frequency response.
That is something MOST sound level meters, even very good ones, are
NOT designed to do. I have a number of B&K, GR HP and other sound
level meters, and I would never use a one of them for measuring
frequency response.

My point exactly, maybe you are confusing me with the others?

So, yes, it IS kinda important to know what teh OP is trying to do.
and, for the price, they're effective.
For the price they may be useful if a totally unknown level of

measurement
uncertainty is acceptable for the intended application.
??? Do you know the intended application? AFAIK, it was never
described.

My statement is quite clear, unlike yours.

Yes, and, unfortunately, it's wrong: to those that now, the measurement
of sound pressure level with an SPL meter means one thing, but to most
people, seemingly a large number who participate in this newsgroup,
it means something else. That's not an insult: it's simply a statement
of observable fact: measuring SPL is NOT the same as measuring acoustical
frequency response.

Which is what I said if I'm not mistaken.

So, the question still stands: what is the the original poster
trying to do? Measure sound level? Measure it to determine aural
fatigue or potential damage? Measuring it as part of determining
speech intelligiability? using it to measure the frequency response
of speakers? Setting up his home theater system?
Guess what, all these applications have DIFFERENT answers!
So, DO you know the intended application? Your statement is clear,
but useless.

Only if you assume what he asked for is not what he wants. That may indeed
be the case, but frankly I don't think it is wrong to assume that if someone
asks for an SPL meter, he might want to use it for the purpose for which
they are intended. If he wants to use it for something else, HE/SHE should
say so.

TonyP.

robobass

Yup. But we do not know what the OP is going to use it for.

Sorry I didn't check back quickly. I didn't expect such a thread to
develop. I am just curious about spls in movie theaters, the subway,
etc, and noise floor and volume levels of music in theaters where I
perform. I'm not looking to do frequency analysis.
Robobass

TonyP

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message
om...
Then why on earth NOT go out and buy something like the RS
sound level meter? It's NOT a standards-based unit, but neither
is anything you could build for the same amount of money.

Agreed.

They're
available on the cheap froma variety of sources: I've picked up 3
of them at yard sales and flea markets for a compbined price of
less than $40.

I have to ask what you actually do with them Dick?
Give them to people for Christmas presents maybe. :-)

TonyP.