Posted to rec.audio.pro
Brettster Brettster is offline

Default Multitrack Recording for Mac?

I'm looking for some direction on getting started making demos on my
computer.

I previously recorded tracks using a four-track cassette recorder,
basically teaching myself with no formal instruction. I am not very
technically adept.

Is there some recording software available for the iMac (using OSX)
that is unusually intuitive and will allow me to jump right in without
having to spend several weeks reading a manual? I want something
BASIC, without too many bells and whistles, that will let me plug in a
keyboard, guitar, and microphone and starting mixing.

I have Audacity, but even that seems a little complicated to me. If
there some sort of video tutorial to help, it might be cool to learn,
but I can't find one.

Your suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Brettster" wrote in message
I'm looking for some direction on getting started making demos on my
computer.

I previously recorded tracks using a four-track cassette recorder,
basically teaching myself with no formal instruction. I am not very
technically adept.

Is there some recording software available for the iMac (using OSX)
that is unusually intuitive and will allow me to jump right in without
having to spend several weeks reading a manual? I want something
BASIC, without too many bells and whistles, that will let me plug in a
keyboard, guitar, and microphone and starting mixing.

I have Audacity, but even that seems a little complicated to me. If
there some sort of video tutorial to help, it might be cool to learn,
but I can't find one.

Your suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

You didn't mention a budget?

The "killer-app" that has even me wishing I had a Mac is....
http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/

It looks quite elegant and straightforward. It is popular in
very demanding applications like recording sound for multi-
million dollar Hollywood movie productions, etc. The cited
website typically lists several recent films that were recorded
on Boom Recorder.

You can download a full-featured, 30-day trial version.

OTOH, it is NOT a "mixer", it is only a recorder. Your
question was a bit ambiguous about exactly what you are
seeking? Most of it seems to refer to recording, but then
you threw in the word "mixing" also.

Reaper http://www.reaper.fm/ says it runs on WINE.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Brettster wrote:

I'm looking for some direction on getting started making demos on my
computer.

I previously recorded tracks using a four-track cassette recorder,
basically teaching myself with no formal instruction. I am not very
technically adept.

Is there some recording software available for the iMac (using OSX)
that is unusually intuitive and will allow me to jump right in without
having to spend several weeks reading a manual? I want something
BASIC, without too many bells and whistles, that will let me plug in a
keyboard, guitar, and microphone and starting mixing.

I have Audacity, but even that seems a little complicated to me. If
there some sort of video tutorial to help, it might be cool to learn,
but I can't find one.

Your suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried Garage Band?

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Albert John Albert is offline

[[ Is there some recording software available for the iMac
(using OSX) that is unusually intuitive and will allow me to
jump right in without having to spend several weeks reading
a manual? I want something BASIC, without too many bells and
whistles, that will let me plug in a keyboard, guitar, and
microphone and starting mixing. ]]

As Hank said, why not GarageBand?

You'll also need an interface of some sort.

I'd suggest a Firewire (not USB) interface, and look for one
that comes bundled with "CubaseLE". That way, if you reach a
point where you're ready to "move up", software-wise, you'll
already have a DAW application that is relatively easy to
learn yet still offers a good spread of features.

If you're looking for an "interface on the cheap", you might
consider a used Presonus Firebox from ebay. Probably can be
found for $150 or less.

Important: You need at least Mac OS 10.3.7 to run the
Firebox (or any other Firewire interface that mates with
Apple's "CORE Audio" drivers).

Even with GarageBand, you may find that you need some help
to get it running. If the online help isn't good enough (or,
if like me, you prefer "hard copy" help), look for a
GarageBand tutorial of some sort, there are numerous ones
out there. Suggestion: try checking a good bookstore if
there is one nearby, but don't buy - instead, make note of
the title, go to amazon.com, find the book you're interested
in, then try clicking "buy used....". You might be able to
pick up a used book or two for next-to-nothing.

- John
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Brettster Brettster is offline

OK, thanks. I am using OSX 10.4.11. Will check out Garage Band.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Albert wrote:

[...]

Also, the DAW-Mac email list is a wonderful resource. A beginner need
not fear entering the room with questions, and the regulars are deeply
informed of digital audio Mac issues from now to way back.

ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
philper philper is offline

On Sep 9, 10:35 am, (hank alrich) wrote:
John Albert wrote:

[...]

I'd recommend Garage Band too. It has some limitations, but Apple
actually worked pretty hard on making it easy for someone with little
or no recording experience to get started in multitrack recording.
Someone mentioned Boom Recorder (from VosGames), which I like very
much too but it is really a live-recording multitrack "acquisition"
tool, meant for recording a lot of tracks at once, but not able to
overdub really. Another way to go, since you'll need some sort of
interface, is to get one of the Mark of the Unicorn (MOTU) interfaces
(like 828 etc) and it comes with a decent multitrack program called
Audio Desk that works very well with their hardware.

Philip Perkins