Posted to rec.audio.pro
stv stv is offline

Default What's the mic on the mandolin?

Hello,

I'd like to find out what the make and model of the microphone on the
mandolin in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a29wX0jE2g

It appears to have a swivel mount between the capsule and the preamp
sections.

It also sounds really good for an mpg...

Thanks,

stv
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

Schoeps?
http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/cardioids.html
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
stv wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to find out what the make and model of the microphone on the
mandolin in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a29wX0jE2g

It appears to have a swivel mount between the capsule and the preamp
sections.

Looks like a Schoeps CMC-5 with the GVC swivel. I can't see the capsule
well enough to tell if it's an MK4 or something else.

Beyer M-500 on the mando player's vocal.

It also sounds really good for an mpg...

Well, you get what you pay for.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:27:42 -0700 (PDT), stv
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a29wX0jE2g

Great music. But is it some quirk of the recording or is the fiddle
player very out-of-tune in his first solo?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote...
stv wrote:
I'd like to find out what the make and model of the microphone on the
mandolin in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a29wX0jE2g

It appears to have a swivel mount between the capsule and the preamp
sections.

Looks like a Schoeps CMC-5 with the GVC swivel. I can't see the capsule
well enough to tell if it's an MK4 or something else.

Beyer M-500 on the mando player's vocal.

It also sounds really good for an mpg...

Well, you get what you pay for.

So are we saying that even MP3s sound better if they were
origially recorded with Schoeps? :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

stv wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to find out what the make and model of the microphone on the
mandolin in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a29wX0jE2g

It appears to have a swivel mount between the capsule and the preamp
sections.

It also sounds really good for an mpg...

Thanks,

stv

It appears to be a Schoeps employing the "GVC" swivel mount. There are 20
different capsules and five electronics modules that can use the swivel
"wrist". It appears the guitar is mic'd with the same combo.

P.S. ... "mpg"??

--
~
~ Roy
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Richard Crowley wrote:

It also sounds really good for an mpg...

Well, you get what you pay for.

So are we saying that even MP3s sound better if they were
origially recorded with Schoeps? :-)

No, less worse probably ... O;-)

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
stv stv is offline

Thanks to all!

Excellent infos.

All the best,

stv

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Badmuts Badmuts is offline

So are we saying that even MP3s sound better if they were
origially recorded with Schoeps? :-)

Definitely.

Bm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Badmuts Badmuts is offline

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a29wX0jE2g

Great music. But is it some quirk of the recording or is the fiddle
player very out-of-tune in his first solo?

During the first fiddle solo the band changes the key of the playing so your
ears have to get used to that. The last part of that solo and also the
second solo are a bit out of tune indeed, but that's the nature of the
instrument i suppose.

Fiddle player's costume is also way out of tune with the rest of them.
Great musicians by the way, i enjoyed the performance.

Sound of mandoline and banjo seems to survive the use of lossy compression
well, indeed.

Bm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a29wX0jE2g

Great music. But is it some quirk of the recording or is the fiddle
player very out-of-tune in his first solo?

During the first fiddle solo the band changes the key of the playing so your
ears have to get used to that. The last part of that solo and also the
second solo are a bit out of tune indeed, but that's the nature of the
instrument i suppose.

Fiddle player's costume is also way out of tune with the rest of them.
Great musicians by the way, i enjoyed the performance.

Sound of mandoline and banjo seems to survive the use of lossy compression
well, indeed.

Bm

Did you not find the mandolin sound a little dull and dead?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Badmuts Badmuts is offline

Sound of mandoline and banjo seems to survive the use of lossy
compression
well, indeed.

Did you not find the mandolin sound a little dull and dead?

Well, not duller and deader than the rest.
I guess it's psychoacoustics - brain fills in the liveliness of the original
playing.
I used computer speakers to listen anyway as i'm not in the studio right now
(but i've got a usenet feed in the studio yesterday, yeah!

I did find the mandolin a bit high in the mix even during other players'
solos. But maybe this band is about that player?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a29wX0jE2g

Great music. But is it some quirk of the recording or is the fiddle
player very out-of-tune in his first solo?

That's Byron Berline, and no, he ain't out of tune. For bluegrass to
sound right that's how one plays it. This isn't your mother's string
quartet. g

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a29wX0jE2g
Great music. But is it some quirk of the recording or is the fiddle
player very out-of-tune in his first solo?

During the first fiddle solo the band changes the key of the playing so your
ears have to get used to that. The last part of that solo and also the
second solo are a bit out of tune indeed, but that's the nature of the
instrument i suppose.

Fiddle player's costume is also way out of tune with the rest of them.
Great musicians by the way, i enjoyed the performance.

Sound of mandoline and banjo seems to survive the use of lossy compression
well, indeed.

Bm

Did you not find the mandolin sound a little dull and dead?

Given that it's coming off Utoob who knows?

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a29wX0jE2g
Great music. But is it some quirk of the recording or is the fiddle
player very out-of-tune in his first solo?
During the first fiddle solo the band changes the key of the playing so your
ears have to get used to that. The last part of that solo and also the
second solo are a bit out of tune indeed, but that's the nature of the
instrument i suppose.

Fiddle player's costume is also way out of tune with the rest of them.
Great musicians by the way, i enjoyed the performance.

Sound of mandoline and banjo seems to survive the use of lossy compression
well, indeed.

Bm

Did you not find the mandolin sound a little dull and dead?

Given that it's coming off Utoob who knows?

It seemed to be missing upper overtones and pick sounds that were
certainly present on the other instruments.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:

Did you not find the mandolin sound a little dull and dead?

Given that it's coming off Utoob who knows?

It seemed to be missing upper overtones and pick sounds that were
certainly present on the other instruments.

As a mandolin player I can tell you that just changing from say a Dunlop
Tortex purple triangle (1.14 mm) to the Grisman or similar Golden Gate
pick will do that. So unless we can find out what pick he's using you
may or may not be right about the captured sound versus the source.

The banjo player will have metal fingerpicks, which offer loads of pick
sound.

I've been playing mando more lately than ever before, and in a wider
range of musical settings, folk, couuntry, bluegrass, blues, swing, rock
'n' roll, and adjusting the tone and sound of the attack to the music at
hand has been interesting. While there are many aspects of technique to
consider, choice of pick has been a big one.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 12:32:58 -0400, Federico wrote
(in article ):

Schoeps?
http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/cardioids.html
F.

Schoeps, but I can't tell which capsule. Last year I did use one of my
cmc641 on a dobro for a live show. I was on stage when we brought it up
during the sound check. The sound through the PA was amazing. Aimed straight
down over the resonator. My pants were wet.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 12:59:42 -0400, Richard Crowley wrote
(in article ):

"Scott Dorsey" wrote...
stv wrote:
I'd like to find out what the make and model of the microphone on the
mandolin in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a29wX0jE2g

It appears to have a swivel mount between the capsule and the preamp
sections.

Looks like a Schoeps CMC-5 with the GVC swivel. I can't see the capsule
well enough to tell if it's an MK4 or something else.

Beyer M-500 on the mando player's vocal.

It also sounds really good for an mpg...

Well, you get what you pay for.

So are we saying that even MP3s sound better if they were
origially recorded with Schoeps? :-)

for your consideration: 1 Martin, 1 CMC641.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:

Schoeps, but I can't tell which capsule. Last year I did use one of my
cmc641 on a dobro for a live show. I was on stage when we brought it up
during the sound check. The sound through the PA was amazing. Aimed straight
down over the resonator. My pants were wet.

For a couple of shows in Austin I put a pair of CMC6's + Mk4's on a
single stand, one at voice and fiddle height, and one on a gooseneck
clamped down the stand to catch Shaidri's 000-28. Whew, not your usual
PA sound, and really sweet.

Great mics are really helpful live because they aren't ragged off-axis.
Makes things much easier.

That said, not everyone can sing into such a mic sans pop filter and
pull it off perfectly.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Posted to rec.audio.pro
drichard drichard is offline

Hi Laurence,

I have to agree. To me, it simply sounds out of tune in spots. If it
was done intentionally as an effect, well, then the effect is lost on
me. And I also agree, even the best players are off-pitch a little
occasionally, especially live. I was not familiar with this fiddler,
but he is an excellent player.

Dean

On Sep 4, 4:20*am, Laurence Payne wrote:
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 00:49:08 -0700, (hank alrich)
wrote:

Great music. *But is it some quirk of the recording or is the fiddle
player very out-of-tune in his first solo?

That's Byron Berline, and no, he ain't out of tune. For bluegrass to
sound right that's how one plays it. This isn't your mother's string
quartet. g

The best of players can go off sometimes. *I was wondering if he
wasn't hearing the band (or himself) well enough for one reason or
another - bad stage acoustics, bad monitors?

Operatic sopranos do the same thing - sing sharp in order to cut
through. *It can be intensely annoying.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

drichard wrote:

Hi Laurence,

I have to agree. To me, it simply sounds out of tune in spots. If it
was done intentionally as an effect, well, then the effect is lost on
me. And I also agree, even the best players are off-pitch a little
occasionally, especially live. I was not familiar with this fiddler,
but he is an excellent player.

Dean

Indeed, he is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Berline

wrote:

Great music. But is it some quirk of the recording or is the fiddle
player very out-of-tune in his first solo?

That's Byron Berline, and no, he ain't out of tune. For bluegrass to
sound right that's how one plays it. This isn't your mother's string
quartet. g

The best of players can go off sometimes. I was wondering if he
wasn't hearing the band (or himself) well enough for one reason or
another - bad stage acoustics, bad monitors?

Operatic sopranos do the same thing - sing sharp in order to cut
through. It can be intensely annoying.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

drichard wrote:

I have to agree. To me, it simply sounds out of tune in spots. If it
was done intentionally as an effect, well, then the effect is lost on
me.

My curiosity finally got the best of me and I listened to the tune. I
didn't hear the fiddle out of tune. It sounds odd when the fiddle comes
in with the "standard" melody after hearing the mandolin play it in an
unusual mode. I suppose if you have to make Arkansas Traveler last five
minutes, you need to mess with it a bit.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

drichard wrote:

I have to agree. To me, it simply sounds out of tune in spots. If it
was done intentionally as an effect, well, then the effect is lost on
me.

My curiosity finally got the best of me and I listened to the tune. I
didn't hear the fiddle out of tune. It sounds odd when the fiddle comes
in with the "standard" melody after hearing the mandolin play it in an
unusual mode. I suppose if you have to make Arkansas Traveler last five
minutes, you need to mess with it a bit.

Right. They also do not change key per se, they just tweak the mode.

I was listening this morning to Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives
Live at the Ryman, and hearing the fiddle I thought of this thread and
chuckled. There it is again, the sound of bluegrass. They lean on it
differently, hang closer to natural instead of contemporarily tempered
intervals.

It's less extreme but kind of like hearing South American pan pipes.
"They're all the hell out of tune!!" Ahem, white man, listen up... g

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:

It's less extreme but kind of like hearing South American pan pipes.
"They're all the hell out of tune!!" Ahem, white man, listen up... g

That's a little different. Most of those pipes are still made by hand,
often by the player, often without precision tools. If a note is too far
out of tune, they tune the other notes to it. Eventually it becomes
"close enough."

I have a dulcimer which, as I got it (from a traditional maker in Galax
VA) was fretted with fence staples and had several notes too far out of
tune for a city boy. I pulled out the staples and put on a fingerboard
with banjo frets in the right places. Years later, I heard a recording
of the maker's father playing one of his dulcimers, and the same notes
were out of tune. The father placed the frets by ear, and that was how
he heard the scale. The son (who I bought my instrument from) made a
fretboard template from one of his father's instruments. That's
tradition, for worse or better.

me he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Wilson Phil Wilson is offline

It's not just a key change, there's a minor to major change, something else
to get used to.
--
Phil Wilson

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a29wX0jE2g

Great music. But is it some quirk of the recording or is the fiddle
player very out-of-tune in his first solo?

During the first fiddle solo the band changes the key of the playing so
your
ears have to get used to that. The last part of that solo and also the
second solo are a bit out of tune indeed, but that's the nature of the
instrument i suppose.

Fiddle player's costume is also way out of tune with the rest of them.
Great musicians by the way, i enjoyed the performance.

Sound of mandoline and banjo seems to survive the use of lossy compression
well, indeed.

Bm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Andre Majorel Andre Majorel is offline

On 2008-09-05, Ty Ford wrote:

for your consideration: 1 Martin, 1 CMC641.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Is it the recording or is the instrument bass-heavy ? I can
imagine the sofa didn't help...

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
"Je regrette le Concorde. Au moins il vous amenait directement à