Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Ts Jay Ts is offline

Default Rackmount Power Amp Suggestions

hank alrich wrote:
Counting my own and what I've installed here and in Austin, I've had 3
of 7 DEQ2496's go down. [...]

The are remarkably powerful for what they cost, but I don't take well to
throwaway concepts.

Sometimes it depends on price and failure rate. 3 of 7 is way too
unreliable, but if it's 1 of 4 that fails, and the other 3 are reliable,
then it only costs 25% more to have a spare on hand, and it's still
less expensive than getting pricey, high-quality gear.

I hate thinking like this, but it is just another strategy, and one
that may work better considering that so many things are built
with cheap labor and questionable quality control.

Jay Ts
--
To contact me, use this web page:
http://www.jayts.com/contact.php
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Jay Ts wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Counting my own and what I've installed here and in Austin, I've had 3
of 7 DEQ2496's go down. [...]

The are remarkably powerful for what they cost, but I don't take well to
throwaway concepts.

Sometimes it depends on price and failure rate. 3 of 7 is way too
unreliable, but if it's 1 of 4 that fails, and the other 3 are reliable,
then it only costs 25% more to have a spare on hand, and it's still
less expensive than getting pricey, high-quality gear.

I hate thinking like this, but it is just another strategy, and one
that may work better considering that so many things are built
with cheap labor and questionable quality control.

What is cheap to me is not necessarily cheap to the planet on which we
live.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
nmm nmm is offline

No mention of the Lifetime Warranty Bryston 2B?

They are very reliable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
nmm wrote:
No mention of the Lifetime Warranty Bryston 2B?

They are very reliable.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread. It's expensive, but worth it.
However, it's a little etched-sounding on top, and is going to exaggerate
the dome tweeter nastiness of those speakers.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

nmm wrote:

No mention of the Lifetime Warranty Bryston 2B?

They are very reliable.

And out of his budget.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Ts Jay Ts is offline

nmm wrote:
No mention of the Lifetime Warranty Bryston 2B?

Their website says 20 years. (I am not a dog. :-)

They are very reliable.

I'm sure it would make a great amp for a recording
studio, but I'm looking for a gigging amp to convert
the unusual guitar setup I created at home into an
easily transportable rig.

Jay Ts

--
To contact me, use this web page:
http://www.jayts.com/contact.php
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jay Ts wrote:
nmm wrote:
No mention of the Lifetime Warranty Bryston 2B?

Their website says 20 years. (I am not a dog. :-)

They are very reliable.

I'm sure it would make a great amp for a recording
studio, but I'm looking for a gigging amp to convert
the unusual guitar setup I created at home into an
easily transportable rig.

It's actually surprisingly light for what it is, and it is rugged enough
that you can take it on the road.

If you get anything much lighter, you will pay for it in sound quality.
You always lose something with trick power supplies of any sort, I am afraid.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jay Ts wrote:

nmm wrote:
No mention of the Lifetime Warranty Bryston 2B?

Their website says 20 years. (I am not a dog. :-)

They are very reliable.

I'm sure it would make a great amp for a recording
studio, but I'm looking for a gigging amp to convert
the unusual guitar setup I created at home into an
easily transportable rig.

Based on glossy print and its web equivalent only it i is my opinion that
you should consider the Alesis RA 300 or RA 500 or the Behringer A500 and
perhaps add a silent fan or two to aid their convection cooling.

A fan cooled monsteramp may not be what is best for your context. We're in
the third millenium and the world has gone crazy so it is be quite possibly
better for your economy to get a cheap amp and not worry about whether it
lives 20 years than to get one with a 20 year warranty. The life expectancy
for electrolytic condensers is around 17 years for both anyway ....

Jay Ts

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Light David Light is offline

On 06 Sep 2008 20:01:18 GMT, Jay Ts
wrote:

I'm sure it would make a great amp for a recording
studio, but I'm looking for a gigging amp to convert
the unusual guitar setup I created at home into an
easily transportable rig.

What kind of rig are you setting up? For awhile I was gigging using
an small PA type rig for an electric guitar/acoustic guitar/keyboard
setup. I used a Vox tonelab for the electric, A tiny Behringer
mixer, an old QSC MX1500 for power, and a pair of small home built PA
cabs. The main purpose being not having to depend on a sound man to
provide a decent monitor mix for the keyboard and acoustic guitar.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Rackmount Power Amp Suggestions (was Old VS New)

"Jay Ts" wrote in message
ng.com

However, I searched online for customer reviews, and
found an apparently high rate of failures. Out of 13
reviews at Musician's Friend, two people reported
receiving a defective unit, returned it, and were sent
another defective unit! Not good.

I'll bet that more blame goes to MF than B.

MF is really GC in mail order drag, right?

IME, the usual way GC handles bad equipment is to pack it up and sell it to
the next guy who comes in looking for one.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

Maybe Behringer is still at what made them famous. g
When I've mentioned the Alesis amplifier here, people
have said "oh you mean the one that's the same as the
Behringer?" So go figure. You can't tell the players
without an assembly drawing.

I've been told that the A. came out long enough before the B. that the
resemblance is probably not coincidental.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 10, 3:21 pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

IME, the usual way GC handles bad equipment is to pack it up and sell it to
the next guy who comes in looking for one.

So the same unit gets an unfavorable review from 10 different
customers? At least that's consistent. g