Default DVD-Audio Advanced Resolution Stereo

Hi,

Does anyone know if the "Advanced Resolution Stereo (96 kHz/24-bit)"
listed on the disc content of a DVD-Audio is something distinct from
the multi-channel content? I am playing "Bach Organ Spectacular" with
Ton Koopman on my Panasonic S97 DVD player (which supports DVD-Audio),
and when I press "AUDIO" on the player's remote a menu comes up on the
TV listing two tracks, 1 and 2. Track 1 has a check mark next to it
and is labelled "PPCM 96kHz 24bit 6ch," and 2 is not checked
(regardless of whether I select it) and has no label. My player says
"D.MIX" on the front panel no matter what I choose, and I can't hear
any difference when I try to switch between the two tracks, so I
suspect what I am hearing is always a downmixed version of the
multi-channel content. Is "Advanced Resolution Stereo" supposed to be
something other than the downmix? How do I select it? I don't want to
miss out!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
MDeB
p.s. I do not check mail at the above address.

Apologies for the multiple posting but I got an error message from
Google Groups the first couple of times.