Pat Farrell

Default CD watermarks

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:21:46 GMT, "Troy"
wrote:
.As for stamping machines I woulden't
doubt if it is possible or soon will be.It really would be a deterant if you
had to register your audio CD everytime you bought one.This may not be far
off.

Clearly they could make stamping machines that put serial or
other unique numbers on them. I'm confident that the engineers
could make it work. But none of them did it a year or so
ago when I was in the business.

It seems like such an obvious solution that I would have thought
or even expected the record companies to have done it already.

Pat http://www.pfarrell.com/prc/
TonyP

s.com...
wrote:
.As for stamping machines I woulden't
doubt if it is possible or soon will be.It really would be a deterant if

you
had to register your audio CD everytime you bought one.This may not be

far
off.

Clearly they could make stamping machines that put serial or
other unique numbers on them. I'm confident that the engineers
could make it work. But none of them did it a year or so
ago when I was in the business.

It seems like such an obvious solution that I would have thought
or even expected the record companies to have done it already.

It might not be too difficult to stamp unique numbers on a CD, but changing
the actual data stamped on each CD would cost more than they are losing.
It's the data that must be unique to identify a MP3 made from a disk,
stamping a number on the disk gains nothing.

TonyP.

Troy

Yes the watermark we were talking about would be in the data on the CD not
just a number stamped on the CD.This would require a digital counter to put
unique info on each CD that would attach itself to any file ripped from the
CD.One day it may be possible to do this.If anyone has any ideas on how to
do it,you could be the next Bill Gates and be filthy rich!!!!.

The only problem with this system is that there are always hackers out there
one step ahead and they would crack it.

wrote:
[...]

Bubba

"Troy" wrote in message
Yes the watermark we were talking about would be in the data on the CD not
just a number stamped on the CD.This would require a digital counter to

put
unique info on each CD that would attach itself to any file ripped from

the
CD.One day it may be possible to do this.If anyone has any ideas on how to
do it,you could be the next Bill Gates and be filthy rich!!!!.

I thought finding solution to baldness was to
become next Bill Gates and be filthy rich.

.... counting my remaining hair.

TonyP

"Troy" wrote in message
Yes the watermark we were talking about would be in the data on the CD not
just a number stamped on the CD.This would require a digital counter to

put
unique info on each CD that would attach itself to any file ripped from

the
CD.One day it may be possible to do this.If anyone has any ideas on how to
do it,you could be the next Bill Gates and be filthy rich!!!!.

As has been said many times already, it's easy to do with burned CDR's, but
not economically possible with stamped CD's.
You won't get rich by developing a system that will cost more money than
they are "losing".

TonyP.

Troy

I don't know why you say it's "not economically possible with stamped
CD's".Anything is possible when the technology becomes available.

They also said years ago that home CD burners would never be released as
they were $25,000 USD and they would be way to expensive for the home
buyer......well they are pretty affordable now.

Never say never !!!!

You can bet someone out there is working on a system that will do this on
pressed CDs that will not cost a fortune.As to say that it would cost more
than what they are losing is not true if a new system was designed to do
this on the run with no human intervention,the record companies would be
happy to buy this technology and put it to work for them.