Ian Iveson

Default Prince of Darkness

I have several Lucas 6.3V regulators from assorted Ariel and Ajay
bikes circa 1950. Can I use these for the heaters in my phono
preamp?

cheers, Ian

Henry 007

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
I have several Lucas 6.3V regulators from assorted Ariel and Ajay
bikes circa 1950. Can I use these for the heaters in my phono
preamp?

cheers, Ian

If its anything like the lucas electrics on my old mini, it won't start
occasionally, and the heaters will flash on and off in sych to the music!

But seriously, make sure they aren't selenium, if they burn it smeels
baaaad...

Ian Iveson

The regulators are fine, after a spot of oil and contact re-gapping
they chatter away happily.

Noise and smoke are a distraction though. The Lucas short dynamo
needs at least 800rpm before the regulator kicks in, which is why
tight corners were always so dark in the days of the Prince.

Interestingly, I get more rumble from the alloy twin than the
cast-iron single.

Photos? I can't even take them of the present, never mind the
future. Usually by the time I've got a camera ready it *is* the
future, which is always too late, like it is for the ugly rat
competition, which I must surely would have won except I'm so ugly
no-one will lend me a digital camera or a scanner, and so even
ugliness becomes a political issue, dominated by the poodles and
running-dogs yapping around the wheels of the Juggernaut. What's
your excuse?

cheers, Ian

"jim" wrote in message

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
I have several Lucas 6.3V regulators from assorted Ariel and

Ajay
bikes circa 1950. Can I use these for the heaters in my phono
preamp?

cheers, Ian

YES, GO FOR IT !!!!!
They are totally crap, but, at least, they are British !!
Photo preamps seem like a good idea. They come in front of

something you are
about to do. You could look at the picture before you pressed the

shutter
and see something which hasn't happened yet before commiting it to

the past.
Heat it up if you like. I like mine at room temperature..
What is room temperature ?? Who's room and on what day ??
regards
jim

Tim Williams

"Henry 007" wrote in message
If its anything like the lucas electrics on my old mini, ...

You won't have heaters, you'll have colders.

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Lord Valve

Ian Iveson wrote:

I have several Lucas 6.3V regulators from assorted Ariel and Ajay
bikes circa 1950. Can I use these for the heaters in my phono
preamp?

cheers, Ian

Q: Why do the Brits drink warm beer?
A: They have Lucas refrigerators...

Lord Valve
American

john stewart

jim wrote:

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
The regulators are fine, after a spot of oil and contact re-gapping
they chatter away happily.

These old mechanical regs are suprisingly reliable and long lasting and were
fitted to cars of the same era. People would'nt understand it today why a
red light came up on the dash when the engine was idling and the cut out
points opened. There's now so much crap on cars we're seeing 250Amp
alternators with tooth belt drives to cope with the load and 150Ah
batteries.

You will soon see 36 volt (42 volt) electrical systems in cars to look
after the greatley increased loads.
Something to think about. John Stewart

Old Joe Lucas's E3L would have got a bit hot.

Noise and smoke are a distraction though. The Lucas short dynamo
needs at least 800rpm before the regulator kicks in, which is why
tight corners were always so dark in the days of the Prince.

Don't forget the 45W tunsten bulbs as well. In the dark I used to stop, put
the bike on it's stand and walk the corners first before riding them. Smoke
was an integral part of 50s/60s motoring. Before decent radios it was the
only entertainment you had. Trying to identify where it was from, what it
smelt of, whether it was getting worse, did you need to open a window yet
and whether you would make it home. The kids could be kept amused looking
out of the windows for flames. Smoke on motorcycles was either due to
hopelessly inadequate tolerances or your boots were on the exhaust pipes.
In my brother's case it could be his girlfriends leg in the days when she
had a mini skirt and he had a Triumph Sports Cub with hi level exhaust.
These kids today. They don't know what fun is !

Interestingly, I get more rumble from the alloy twin than the
cast-iron single.

Well Ajays twin had an extra main bearing so there was a bit more to rumble
and given machining tolerances of the day, rumbles were compulsory. A more
raucous exhaust system was the usual cure. Bikes without a rumble were
taken back to the manufacturer straight away. It could be a bit tight and
might seize up. Ajays' twin also frequently wore it's crank on the outside
rather than inside where they normally live. The dramatic appearance of this
normally unseen component was accompanied by a loud bang, a left boot full
of hot oil, followed by total silence

Photos? I can't even take them of the present, never mind the
future. Usually by the time I've got a camera ready it *is* the
future, which is always too late, like it is for the ugly rat
competition, which I must surely would have won except I'm so ugly
no-one will lend me a digital camera or a scanner, and so even
ugliness becomes a political issue, dominated by the poodles and
running-dogs yapping around the wheels of the Juggernaut. What's
your excuse?

No technology. What's a scanner ? I've only just got a monitor. It's been
hell surfing without one.. This computer has Pentium 2, a CD player, an
external modem, Win 98 and IE6 That's it !! It has no sound system, no
printer outlet and no other facilities. It does what I want and any attempt
to understand or upgrade it usually results in erasing all data and
programmes, hard disk meltdown and total destruction of all my ISPs hardware
if I am online at the time. I did once buy a couple of books .. 'The
Internet for Dummies' and 'Understanding your computer'
Didn't get beyond page one of either of them. What language are they
written in ? I'm waiting for the English versions to come out.
On the bright side, viruses usually ignore my computer as it is not worth
bothering with.
On the ugly side, I assumed Alan Marcy would enter. No contest really is
there !! It's a done deal !! Fred tells me he hasn't entered but I've voted
for him anyway.
kind regards
jim

cheers, Ian

"jim" wrote in message

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
I have several Lucas 6.3V regulators from assorted Ariel and

Ajay
bikes circa 1950. Can I use these for the heaters in my phono
preamp?

cheers, Ian

YES, GO FOR IT !!!!!
They are totally crap, but, at least, they are British !!
Photo preamps seem like a good idea. They come in front of

something you are
about to do. You could look at the picture before you pressed the

shutter
and see something which hasn't happened yet before commiting it to

the past.
Heat it up if you like. I like mine at room temperature..
What is room temperature ?? Who's room and on what day ??
regards
jim

jim

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
The regulators are fine, after a spot of oil and contact re-gapping
they chatter away happily.

These old mechanical regs are suprisingly reliable and long lasting and were
fitted to cars of the same era. People would'nt understand it today why a
red light came up on the dash when the engine was idling and the cut out
points opened. There's now so much crap on cars we're seeing 250Amp
alternators with tooth belt drives to cope with the load and 150Ah
batteries. Old Joe Lucas's E3L would have got a bit hot.

"jim" wrote in message

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
I have several Lucas 6.3V regulators from assorted Ariel and

Ajay
bikes circa 1950. Can I use these for the heaters in my phono
preamp?

cheers, Ian

YES, GO FOR IT !!!!!
They are totally crap, but, at least, they are British !!
Photo preamps seem like a good idea. They come in front of

something you are
about to do. You could look at the picture before you pressed the

shutter
and see something which hasn't happened yet before commiting it to

the past.
Heat it up if you like. I like mine at room temperature..
What is room temperature ?? Who's room and on what day ??
regards
jim

jim

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Ian Iveson wrote:

I have several Lucas 6.3V regulators from assorted Ariel and Ajay
bikes circa 1950. Can I use these for the heaters in my phono
preamp?

cheers, Ian

Q: Why do the Brits drink warm beer?
A: They have Lucas refrigerators...

Lord Valve
American

We don't drink warm beer. Nothing is even slightly warm in this country.
Inuit children come here to learn how to survive in extreme conditions.
Having been refused entry to the Axis of Evil, Tony Blair has now applied to
join the Arctic Circle
regards
jim

TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

My KT88 SE glows and sings. Still playing with tuning

Friends dying mysteriously is a normal thing in some professions. Control
freaks are such a$$hole$.

My MGA 1600 survived Minnesota winters. Lucas is more jokes than failures. The
heater WAS a joke: the controls said Demist, and they meant it I added a NOS
heater from an old Plymouth, mounted on the transmission tunnel. Nothing better
than applied technology to save your freezing feet.

The new Sony SS-MB150H bookshelves a delightful for $49./pair.

Kevlar woofs.

50 kHz tweeter.

The lit is (C) 2003.

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead

Nothing40

"jim" wrote in message ...
"john stewart" wrote in message

jim wrote:

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
The regulators are fine, after a spot of oil and contact re-gapping
they chatter away happily.

These old mechanical regs are suprisingly reliable and long lasting and

were
fitted to cars of the same era. People would'nt understand it today why

red light came up on the dash when the engine was idling and the cut out
points opened. There's now so much crap on cars we're seeing 250Amp
alternators with tooth belt drives to cope with the load and 150Ah
batteries.

You will soon see 36 volt (42 volt) electrical systems in cars to look
after the greatley increased loads.
Something to think about. John Stewart

Hi, John,
Sure. Manufacturers have, for some years now, been looking to move to 24V.
It's been standard for years on trucks and makes a lot more sense. It's
watts you're trying to move not amps, and some of the 12V wiring nowadays to
fuseboxes and central distribution points is as thick as your little
finger... Total loading is not of course the only problem. I can talk about
this all day. I own a garage business. Vehicle electrical systems are
generally reliable but every year we see additional knick knacks added which
are increasingly becoming computer controlled. Often a central processor
handles several tasks/functions. ABS, active suspension, traction control,
engine management, Satnav, etc etc. Fault diagnosis is now a nightmare,
particularly intermittent faults
which never appear on test equipment in my workshops, but leap up and bite
the driver, again, 10 minutes after he drove away. If a common processor
is used,
several systems may go out together.
30 years ago, an intermittent ignition fault could be cured by progressively
replacing
bits of the ignition system. If you replaced EVERYTHING, the total bill
would only be about £20 and somewhere along the line the fault disappeared.
Nowadays you could be into an £1100 management computer..
I have customer vehicles out there at the other side of 60,000 miles with
the same intermittent faults they were born with which are completely
undiagnosable. The best the owner can hope for is a complete
failure/breakdown. Least a diagnosis is possible, then.
I welcome progress but there is an old engineering adage.. The less there
is, the less there is to go wrong...
42V ? I don't think they'll go that far. All over the UK, garages will be
inundated with people who are getting shocks off their cars. 24V will do and
at least 24v light bulbs are readily available
kind regards
jim

One odd thing I have noticed on most newer cars (mostly GM),is that
the sizes of the wire used for heavy loads like headlights,etc is like
20AWG!!!They get warm after a while! The headlight wires on my 67
Chevy are like 14awg,thats about the size of the alternator wire in
newer cars.. WTH is up with that? Go pop the hood of a new car and
look at some of the wires.They seem greatly undersized to me,but who
knows.
Jim McShane

"jim" wrote...

Production engineering it's called. Nothing to
do with engineering.

Not where I came from (Toyota Motor Sales USA).
Maybe that's why their quality is so good.

Design it backwards with a computer and an
accounting package to end up with a minimum
material/minimum cost/maximum profit/ acceptable
design life/answer to lighting up a headlamp
The word 'quality' has now been replaced with
'how little can I get away with'

As someone who works in the auto industry, I can
tell you that it's as much a weight issue as a $$ issue.
Sure, cost is an important factor, but the weight of the
harness, and the fact that the size of the wire harness
dictates the size of some other components (where
the wiring has to be routed) are the dominant factor
(at least at Toyota).

Also, the 42 volt vehicle IS coming, I read more about
it all the time in my SAE monthly journal. The problem
with the 12 volt standard is the current requirements for
the explosion of electronic devices modern vehicles
carry. Not only does the proliferation mean more
(maybe larger too) wires, it means the alternator has
to have incredible output. More output means more
heat, and the heat limits are fast approaching with some
of these 150 & up amp alternators. Stator temps are a
critical issue for longevity.

BTW, the Toyota Prius hybrid runs off 600 volts or
so on the latest model. And yes, there is a serious shock
hazard for the untrained repairer or fire/rescue person
who takes a big cutter to a chunk of harness to remove
a trapped occupant (Toyota has provided safety info
to public safety depts. here in the US).

Also, I can't vouch for GM, but Toyota went to a
higher grade insulating material for its body and
chassis wiring over 12 years ago, which allowed
them to reduce the wire bundle sizes significantly.
I can't recall what the material was (it wasn't Tefzel
like is used on aircraft), sorry, but it was noticeably
thinner than the prior PVC insulation.

As far as engine management systems go, if you
want the kind of incredible ratio of horsepower
to engine displacement that exists today AND
high fuel economy, AND smooth performance/super
driveability under any operating conditions AND
low emissions, then computerized engine
management is a necessity. And as self-diagnostics
have improved, the number of "unfixable" issues has
dropped like a rock.

Remember in the "good old days" when it was
damp/rainy and the distributor cap got moist inside
and the car wouldn't run (or ran very rough)?
Remember putting points and a condenser in
every 10,000 miles? Remember carburetor icing,
sticky choke blades, lead fouled spark plugs,
sticking needles & seats causing engine flooding,
vapor lock, etc?

I do, and I don't miss them a bit!

My $0.02 worth anyway...

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane

TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

Down to 60.5 ohm 30W shared cathode bias resistor on KT88s

Every car problem is the same. The good stuff is driving like mad on deserted
dirt roads with a beautiful young woman and scaring the hell out of cows and
chickens as you roar past at or near redline. Splashing thru mudholes and
kicking up gravel. If you have never passed a dead RR, relax, I have. Cars ALL
fall asleep, sometimes The statistics are just exciting to the statisticians

Beethoven's music seems to like More Current !

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead

Jim McShane

"jim" wrote...

As someone who has also been down at the
sharp end of the auto industry for 23 years
and is still there, I can't see any wiring weight
problem relevant to UK volume car production
other than weight equals cost equals profit so
should be minimized.

That's not the way the top producers work. One
time at a technical group meeting we were
addressed by a gentleman from Nippondenso,
a Toyota "partner" company that made a whole
bunch of parts for them. He was doing backflips
because they got 4 OUNCES of weight out of
the air cleaner element and improved it's filtration!

Every bit of weight is critical, don't believe for
a moment that it isn't.

Despite the hype and the marketing this is
not the lunar orbiter

No, a current vehicle has WAY more computer
power than the orbiter did, WAY more.

The marketing boys will sell it to you as the
lunar orbiter, but we're down here back on
Earth.

Again at my old company, quality was #1 - no
doubt about it. That's why Toyota will sell more
cars in the US than any other maker this year
(that's how it looks at this point). Yes,
marketing is important, but quality is what retains
owners. I'll never forget one time when a new
model came out our Chicago Region office was
responsible for initial quality monitoring at our
West Chicago rail yard. We spotted a misfit
(small, but definitely misfit) in a rear floor carpet
and reported it to Japan by FAX. Production
of the carpet was changed in 3 days! And it
wasn't changed to reduce cost, it was changed
to improve quality. Amazing, I think!

It would seem from here that the UK producers
don't have that same drive. So many have folded
up their tents, and current production stuff is still
"dodgy" - I have a Land Rover dealer as a client.
They aren't proud that only Hummer was lower
rated for quality...

42 volt is uneccesary. 24v will do. Heating
equals watts not volts.

Well, that's fine for you to feel that way, but a
42 volt standard has already been developed
by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineering)
and it's in the pipeline. It's a done deal! As a
member I get to read up on new developments
in the monthly magazine they send me.

Where do you buy 42V light bulbs ?

Nowhere now, this is an issue that has to be
addressed to implement the new standard.
But it's no big deal.

Regarding the 600 volt hybrid Prius...

What about the shock hazard to the trapped
occupant. ?? He survives the auto accident
to get the electric chair ??

Well, that's theoretically possible. But designing
protection for the occupants can be accomplished
just as it has been with other dangers such as
fuel system protection, etc. The repair person or
rescuer will be working in places the occupant
rarely if ever even sees, let alone handles.

Regarding improved smaller body/chassis wiring...

Whole point I was making.. Let's save a few
cents per car.

Where I worked that was a great idea too - but
no compromise in quality was allowed! But the
weight reduction was a primary design goal as new
models were being developed.

The weight of a vehicle wiring loom is a negligible
percentage of the total gross weight.

Sorry - dead wrong. Read my air cleaner story
above for an example. Small % yes, but nothing is
negligible in the weight arena.

Reducing it's weight by say 10% is irrelevant
other than from a cost saving point of view

Again, dead wrong. Less weight translates into
a huge number of areas that yield performance
and/or fuel economy gains.

The fuel economy bonus is a spin off. What
drives all this stuff is EU/US legislation on
exhaust emmisions.. You don't match those
figures. You don't sell cars.

And in the US we have CAFE laws -Corporate
Average Fuel Economy. Same deal - don't meet
the cafe standard, you got a problem!! So fuel
economy is no spin-off, that's for sure. BTW, the
CAFE laws apply to cars only, not trucks. This
loophole is one the automakers are really fighting
to keep open. No sir, fuel economy is not
an afterthought here.

Regarding quality...

Not where I'm standing, on the workshop floor,
talking to the customers, it hasn't !! It's just
changed.. Basic reliability has improved
dramatically.. but... We're now into intermittent
airbag/ABS lights and engine management systems
which drop out and latch on to fixed 'get you
home' settings for no identifiable reason..
Immobilizer and locking systems which won't
let you in or let you start the engine. Bulb failure
lights which tell you a bulbs blown when it hasn't.
Electric windows which go down and won't go
back up. When it's raining !! All makes all models....

Well, I see VERY little of it with the top quality
producers (Honda, Toyota, Nissan). With all due
respect, I see lots of that kind of stuff on European
cars in general (including BMW, Mercedes, etc.).
Cars that won't run due to multiple failed ignition
coils (VW, Audi), BMW heater cores that burst
inside the passenger compartment, window
mechanisms that fall apart on VW, BMW, Mercedes.
On Land Rover, EVERYTHING breaks and often
(Jags are better, but they still are poor quality). These
are not old cars, I'm talking 2000 & up models.

You were in production..?? I think we may be
on opposite sides of the fence.

I worked for both retailers and manufacturers. I was
an auto technician and manager in my retail auto
career, then I joined Toyota Motor Sales (the
manufacturer) as a Field Technical Specialist/
Technical Training Instructor in 1978. I was the
Regional Manager for Service in the Midwestern
USA from 1985 until I left Toyota in 1991. Now
I have my own consulting company, I work with
automotive and aircraft retail servicers and parts
departments.

I can tell you the way Toyota (the product line I
know best) does things (at least in the USA) is
WAY different than what you describe. I truly
believe that's why they are so successful.

I'm out here trying to climb an immense
mountain of manufacturers bull**** and break
it gently to people that this is only a car and they
still go wrong. Today, however, they can go
very expensively wrong.

Well, I wish I could help, but in my opinion there's
no excuse for poor quality. The leading makers
have excellent quality - and I feel sorry for people
who have to work on the "lesser" brands.

Best of luck to you!

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

Ian Iveson

"jim" wrote

...[lots of true things about Toyotas]...

You are both right, of course.

Production Engineering units typically answer to both the Quality
Assurance and the Production people, amongst others.

But only Design people are responsible for *improving* the quality
of the finished product. Everyone else is charged with maintaining
it within specifications. They are all rewarded for increasing
production or lowering costs. The balance of power is on the side
of cheapness quick. Maximum production with zero defects, not
maximum quality.

Call it the dialectic, call it Zen, whatever you like, but I used to
be a part of my vehicles. Now I can't be bothered with them. Same
with computers. Taught the subject for years and slowly lost
interest and involvement.

Same with amplifiers. That's why many here are into valves. I can
tolerate being bored with my fridge or washing machine, but not with
my music collection. That would be stupid.

I can always fix the AJS with baling wire and rizlas. It is 50 next
year. Mostly the original metal in the original shapes still
performing just as poorly as ever.

The Kawasaki was a revelation. Nothing ever went wrong...never even
blew a lightbulb. Didn't need to carry the wire anymore. Went like
a rocket for several years then it was worn out. Totally, all the
way through, nothing salvageable and I didn't care when it got
stolen.

That's exactly what makes production engineers proud...me too, I
must admit, I get a kick out of the process of optimisation. That's
why the term "bean counters" is so daft, as if beans don't need
counting.

Toyotas are necessary, but consumers find them very, very boring.

cheers, Ian

jim

"TubeGarden" wrote in message
Hi RATs!

My KT88 SE glows and sings. Still playing with tuning

Friends dying mysteriously is a normal thing in some professions. Control
freaks are such a$$hole$.

My MGA 1600 survived Minnesota winters. Lucas is more jokes than failures.

The
heater WAS a joke: the controls said Demist, and they meant it I added

a NOS
heater from an old Plymouth, mounted on the transmission tunnel. Nothing

better
than applied technology to save your freezing feet.

Been there, Alan,
MGA 1600 Mk2 1622 cc Fixed head coupe UK reg No 11 FON Fixed head MGAs
were quite warm with the Smiths heater on full wack. Soft tops were more
draughty and cold. 3 years, moved on to 159 PYB ... Austin Healey 100/6..
No need for a heater. The big six kept you warm..... then on to RAL 402B
...... Healey 3000 Mk 3...... Engine management ?? I just stuffed my boot
in the carpet and let it go !!!! Got into E types and Alfa Romeos after
that but this is way off topic.......
regards
jim

The new Sony SS-MB150H bookshelves a delightful for $49./pair.

Kevlar woofs.

50 kHz tweeter.

The lit is (C) 2003.

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead

jim

"Nothing40" wrote in message
om...

jim wrote:

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
[...]

Production engineering it's called Nothing to do with engineering. Design
it backwards with a computer and an accounting package to end up with a
minimum material/minimum cost/maximum profit/ acceptable design life/
answer to lighting up a headlamp
The word 'quality' has now been replaced with 'how little can I get away
with'
regards
jim

jim

"Jim McShane" wrote in message
news
[...]

should be minimized. Despite the hype and the marketing this is not the
lunar orbiter it is a mass produced consumer durable....like a washing
machine
The marketing boys will sell it to you as the lunar orbiter, but we're
down here back on Earth.

Also, the 42 volt vehicle IS coming, I read more about
it all the time in my SAE monthly journal. The problem
with the 12 volt standard is the current requirements for
the explosion of electronic devices modern vehicles
carry. Not only does the proliferation mean more
(maybe larger too) wires, it means the alternator has
to have incredible output. More output means more
heat, and the heat limits are fast approaching with some
of these 150 & up amp alternators. Stator temps are a
critical issue for longevity.

42 volt is uneccesary. 24v will do. Heating equals watts not volts.
Doubling the voltage halves the current and we can use sensible size wiring.
We can use the wiring we've got now.
Where do you buy 42V light bulbs ? 24V is truck standard. Makes sense to
use it.

BTW, the Toyota Prius hybrid runs off 600 volts or
so on the latest model.

Sure it does. Honda's gas/electro wagon is the same.

And yes, there is a serious shock
hazard for the untrained repairer or fire/rescue person
who takes a big cutter to a chunk of harness to remove
a trapped occupant (Toyota has provided safety info
to public safety depts. here in the US).

What about the shock hazard to the trapped occupant. ?? He survives the
auto accident to get the electric chair ??

Also, I can't vouch for GM, but Toyota went to a
higher grade insulating material for its body and
chassis wiring over 12 years ago, which allowed
them to reduce the wire bundle sizes significantly.
I can't recall what the material was (it wasn't Tefzel
like is used on aircraft), sorry, but it was noticeably
thinner than the prior PVC insulation.

Whole point I was making.. Let's save a few cents per car. The weight of a
vehicle wiring loom is a negligible percentage of the total gross weight.
Reducing it's weight by say 10% is irrelevant other than from a cost saving
point of view. In just the same way as computerized paint spray systems vary
the thickness of the paint finish over a vehicle depending on the expected
wear (it's thicker round the door handles, the wheel arches and the front
edge of the hood/bonnet) and doesn't paint things which are to be
subsequently covered by trim
panels. Paint on the roof is particularly thin as expected abrasion is nil
and cars don't corrode from the top downwards.
If you're in volume production a few cents here and there times one
million units is worth thinking about. Production engineering. How can I
make it faster with the minimum of material and manpower input per unit.
Don't blame me. Henry Ford started it with the 'T' at Highland Park

As far as engine management systems go, if you
want the kind of incredible ratio of horsepower
to engine displacement that exists today AND
high fuel economy, AND smooth performance/super
driveability under any operating conditions AND
low emissions, then computerized engine
management is a necessity.

Quite, given today's elevated combustion temperatures and lean mixtures you
would not start today's car with a 1960s ignition system. Likewise you have
no hope of achieving todays emission targets with a carburetter so engine
management/ fuel injection/electronic ignition are inevitable..
[...]

Neither do I and God forbid we ever go back there !!! 100% with you all the
way.
You were in production..?? I think we may be on opposite sides of the
fence.
I'm out here trying to climb an immense mountain of manufacturers bull****
and break it gently to people that this is only a car and they still go
wrong. Today, however, they can go very expensively wrong
Kind regards
jim

My $0.02 worth anyway...

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane

Jim McShane

"Ian Iveson" wrote...

Production Engineering units typically answer
to both the Quality Assurance and the
Production people, amongst others.

Correct.

But only Design people are responsible for
*improving* the quality of the finished product.

Nope, not where I used to work. In fact, the
company gave major awards for improvement to
many a line worker. They often suggested design
changes to the product that were adopted by
the design teams. AND...

....any Toyota assembly line worker can shut
down the entire line if needed - believe it or not.
If he/she sees something wrong - they pull the plug!

All of that is part of the continuous improvement
philosophy they learned from Deming in the post
war years, and have pursued with a vengeance
ever since.

They are all rewarded for increasing production
or lowering costs.

Yes, but not ONLY for those criteria. Besides,
there are other ways to cut costs, it doesn't have
to mean less resources for the vehicle build. Lowering
warranty claims, reducing plant power and materials
consumption, plant damage reduction, reducing waste
disposal - all are valid ways to reduce the cost of
production without compromising quality.

The balance of power is on the side of
cheapness quick. Maximum production with
zero defects, not maximum quality.

While it is true that at some point the overall
design is a limiting factor, the number of
improvements that can be made to improve
quality of a given design is nearly infinite.

And there is not an absolutely linear relationship
between reducing cost and reducing quality.

Toyotas are necessary, but consumers find
them very, very boring.

Hmm, I'm not so sure I agree. Driven a Lexus
GS400 lately? But I understand what you are
saying. When it comes to making a choice
between "exciting" transportation and boring
transportation, I'll take boring every time.

I hope my next airplane flight is boring for sure!

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

WILLIAM DOUCETTE

42 volt is uneccesary. 24v will do. Heating equals watts not volts.
Doubling the voltage halves the current and we can use sensible size

wiring.
We can use the wiring we've got now.
Where do you buy 42V light bulbs ? 24V is truck standard. Makes sense to
use it.

You're absolutely correct about the wire size being a major factor in the
conversion to 42V - which as another poster also in the auto biz said IS
coming.. no question.. this standard will allow less parasitic loss on the
actual motor itself.. we'll see electric power steering pumps (already on a
number of vehicles .. certain honda, bmw,and saturn models) maybe electric
a/c compressors etc. etc. This will of course lower emmisions and increase
fuel economy.

But back to your light bulb statement, which is why I chose your post to
respond to initially; My understanding is that at least at first all
lighting will remain on a second 12V system.

-Will

Fred Nachbaur

WILLIAM DOUCETTE wrote:
42 volt is uneccesary. 24v will do. Heating equals watts not volts.
Doubling the voltage halves the current and we can use sensible size

wiring.

We can use the wiring we've got now.
Where do you buy 42V light bulbs ? 24V is truck standard. Makes sense to
use it.

You're absolutely correct about the wire size being a major factor in the
conversion to 42V - which as another poster also in the auto biz said IS
coming.. no question.. this standard will allow less parasitic loss on the
actual motor itself.. we'll see electric power steering pumps (already on a
number of vehicles .. certain honda, bmw,and saturn models) maybe electric
a/c compressors etc. etc. This will of course lower emmisions and increase
fuel economy.

One moment... why is it a "given" that it will lower emissions and
increase fuel economy?

Those functions are presently accomplished using a direct mechanical
coupling. How can adding an intermediary energy conversion step increase
overall efficiency?

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

TubeGarden

How can adding an intermediary energy conversion step increase overall
efficiency?

Hi RATs!

Easy, the demand and supply are not synced in time

It is cheap to charge a battery when supply is high and then demand whenever.

Like my parallel LCLC power supplies

Edging toward 0 bias for triode KT88 ...

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead
WILLIAM DOUCETTE

[...]

It obviously can not increase "overall" efficiency in the purest sense. It
will however make it easier for manufacturers to comply with current
emissions standards (The flaws of these standards etc. etc. is another topic
entirely - prob. for another NG ). More of the torque created by the
combustion process drives the wheels, in fact their idea is that all of it
except the small amount needed to turn the alternator will be devoted to
moving the vehicle. A higher output alternator doesn't leech more power from
the crank than a lower one. It primarily has a different stator design, and
although spinning it faster allows for increased output there is no question
of it "stealing" more torque to induce more power.

I had an early 80's toyota tercel a few years back - One drive belt, the
alternator. No p/s no A/c.. Now that vehicle had some high marks in the
"overall efficiency" category.

-will

Jeff Thompson

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message

WILLIAM DOUCETTE wrote:
[...]

An electrically driven power steering pump could remain
off when it's not actually needed, and power up in response to
demand. A mechanically driven pump runs (and uses engine power)
whenever the engine is running.
Jeff T

Jim McShane

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote...

(Discussing automotive A/C compressors and
power steering pumps)

Those functions are presently accomplished using a
direct mechanical coupling. How can adding an
intermediary energy conversion step increase
overall efficiency?

Let me just use power steering as an example. A belt
driven hydraulic pump runs all the time the engine is
running, even though it is only required to supply
pressure part of the time. An electric pump can activate
on demand, saving the energy it took to run the pump
unnecessarily.

Also, even the 12 volt electric pumps and steering
racks are lighter weight and more compact than
a hydraulic pump. No spool or rotary hydraulic
valving is needed on the steering box or rack to
direct pressurization/oil flow. Less weight = less
fuel consumption. 42 volt pumps will be lighter yet.

The A/C compressor can be much more efficient,
lighter, and more compact if it is able to run at a
constant speed. It also eliminates the need for a
clutch as is found on the current A/C compressors,
reducing weight and bulk. Yet the compressor can
cycle off if needed simply by turning off the electric
motor, eliminating the small but significant drag of
the clutch bearing and the drive belt.

Make sense to you?

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

john stewart

Jim McShane wrote:

[...]

Another advantage of going to a higher operating voltage is that the
wire packing factor in motors, generators, alternators & transformers
is better thru the use of smaller gauge wire in their rotors & stators.
That translates to more performance in a package of given size/weight.
There was a big improvement when North America went from
6 to 12 volts back in the days when I worked on cars.

The auto today is a far better & safer product today than the stuff I
got to work on. Thank God "they don't build cars like they used too"!!!

Cheers, John Stewart

Chuck Harris

Toyota MADE great cars. Now they make cars with
great market appeal.

You should have seen the result of the collision
between my 1974 Toyota Celica, and a 2002 Toyota
Camry. The 1974 Celica was known in the '70s as
a car that was weak in a crash. Well,....

My Celica had a tiny little crease in the front
fender, A broken running light, and a straightenable
twist in the front bumper. The Camry lost its entire
rear quarter (starting at the rear door) including
its rear bumper. $600 damage vs $2500 damage.
I drove away, the Camry was towed. Great improvement!

Anyone care to bet on how many 2002 Camry's will
still be on the road and in regular use in 2031?

-Chuck

Jim McShane wrote:
"Ian Iveson" wrote...

[...]

Fred Nachbaur

Chuck Harris wrote:
Toyota MADE great cars. Now they make cars with
great market appeal.

You should have seen the result of the collision
between my 1974 Toyota Celica, and a 2002 Toyota
Camry. The 1974 Celica was known in the '70s as
a car that was weak in a crash. Well,....

My Celica had a tiny little crease in the front
fender, A broken running light, and a straightenable
twist in the front bumper. The Camry lost its entire
rear quarter (starting at the rear door) including
its rear bumper. $600 damage vs $2500 damage.
I drove away, the Camry was towed. Great improvement!

Anyone care to bet on how many 2002 Camry's will
still be on the road and in regular use in 2031?

-Chuck

Not very many around here. Toyotas only last around ten - fifteen years,
not because they break, but because the bodies rust out. Same goes for
Subarus. Hondas used to be famous for that also, but they seem to have
fixed that sometime in the 90's.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

john stewart

Thinking of what is on the road, has anyone out there ever
wondered where all the rubber lost from tires goes as
they travel along? Must be at the roadside, I guess.

Something to THINK about, John Stewart

Jim McShane wrote:

"Chuck Harris" and Fred Nachbaur wrote...

The new Camry has 1/2 the thickness sheet
metal the old Celica does... And the old
Celica has 1/2 the thickness sheet metal my
old '65 Dodges have.... All still on the road
and in good condition.

Not very many around here. Toyotas only last
around ten - fifteen years, not because they
break, but because the bodies rust out. Same
goes for Subarus. Hondas used to be famous
for that also, but they seem to have fixed that
sometime in the 90's.

Thickness is not the issue. Older Toyotas had
real bad rust issues, especially in Canada and
along the US Gulf coast. The # of tons/km of
road salt Transport Canada uses is staggering,
the cars are in a brine bath for the whole winter
sometimes! But...

In the early 1990s Toyota patented a sheet metal
coating process (the coating is called Excelite) and
rusting has virtually completely stopped. Now the
same gauge metal will go for many many years
corrosion free. Other makers such as Honda
developed comparable processes/coatings too.

Look at the exhaust system too. Toyota uses stainless
steel (as do many other brands) and the exhaust
and muffler business has been dying ever since.
The metal is not thicker, but is VERY corrosion
resistant.

It's no accident Midas now emphasizes the other
work (besides exhaust) they do.

Some body areas also use high strength alloys too,
so thickness is NOT a gauge of durability anymore

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

jim

[...]

I am beginning to see a picture here. Your comments on vehicles produced
here are entirely correct. This is what I see every day. It is hard to
remain upbeat when faced with continuing, repetitive failure of the same
component/system. Examination of the failed component
usually reveals minimalist design and engineering rather than an assembly
line problem. The
replacement part is identical to the failed one and can be expected to last
the same length of time.
What people may not realise is that the manufacturers don't make cars. They
assemble parts from outside suppliers, none of whom make a car, but make all
the parts for all cars.. Bosch, Delco, Nippon Denso, Lucas, Carello,
Goodyear, etc.. Look around a car and the component manufacturers names are
all there.
The 'get it right' ethos is not the same here. We also use UK/EU component
suppliers. The financial pressures exerted by the vehicle manufacturers to
produce within a cost may result in cost cutting.
Toyota have an assembly plant here in Derby. This got round the problem of
import restrictions from Japan and was O.Kd on the basis that a percentage
of the components had to be sourced from UK manufacturers.. There is a story
that Lucas were asked to tender for supplying complete sub assembled
instrument panels complete with wiring, bulbs etc and were asked to state an
expected failure/rejection rate. The story goes that Lucas came up with a
figure of 4%. Toyota rejected this and asked them to have a rethink. Lucas
came back with a figure of 1%.. Nippon Denso's normal figure was
apparently something
like 0.01% !!!
In the UK we are very good at producing low volume, high quality, handmade
stuff. Formula one race technolgy is here. Even Penske are based here I
believe.
We are not very good at mass producing anything however. The picture here is
just not the same as you are painting it... As Ian says, we are both right.
We're standing in different countries.
kind regards
jim

Chuck Harris

Hi John,

A number of years ago I lived in a housing development that was
entirely too close to I95, the major N-S artery on the east
coast of the US. Dust for us was a fine black powder. Maybe
the result of tires?

-Chuck

john stewart wrote:
Thinking of what is on the road, has anyone out there ever
wondered where all the rubber lost from tires goes as
they travel along? Must be at the roadside, I guess.

Something to THINK about, John Stewart

Patrick Turner

Chuck Harris wrote:

Hi John,

A number of years ago I lived in a housing development that was
entirely too close to I95, the major N-S artery on the east
coast of the US. Dust for us was a fine black powder. Maybe
the result of tires?

That's what happens to tires, they become dust.

Thee were made of dust, and to dust thy shall return.

But in that black dust, perhaps there is a small % of asbestos
dust from all the worn out brake linings, and other ****e which couldn't
be healthy,
even if asbestos has been outlawed now.
So returning to dust for us might be hastened if we spent long enough
beside
a freeway.

Give me rolling paddocks of bluegrass green, and all is quiet,
but for cattle lowing in the lane,
and free me from the insanity of witnessing
the stupidity of choked roads.
Darn, I must be dreamin again....

Patrick Turner.

-Chuck

john stewart wrote:
Thinking of what is on the road, has anyone out there ever
wondered where all the rubber lost from tires goes as
they travel along? Must be at the roadside, I guess.

Something to THINK about, John Stewart

Chuck Harris

Hi Jim,

I thought better of this article immediately after I posted,
and cancelled it... but apparently it got thru anyway.

Most of what I said is true, but, of course, there is
the matter of the ability to better regulate the
compressors/pumps to match the load that comes with electric
control. I don't know if this "improvement" equals or
betters the losses resulting from the extra energy
conversions. But I am sure that the engineers at the
various auto manufacturers have investigated this issue
at depth. We can all do without the "horse hockey"s,
of course ;-)

Jim McShane wrote:
The first example of this kind of thinking most
people saw was the front wheel drive car with
its transversely mounted engine/transmission/
differential assembly.

Partially wrong - transversely mounted powertrains
do not use an expensive and heavy differential. The
final drive is not a ring and pinion, it is a simple
helical cut final drive gear set. Both do have a spider
gear set for obvious reasons.

I am not sure what you think is wrong about my above
statement. "Differential" has to do with allowing the
wheels to operate at different speeds without skidding.
How it is done is largely a matter of design esthetics.
Front wheel drive cars have an integral engine/transmission/
differential assembly as I said.

Because the engine was transversely mounted,
it was horribly inconvenient to use a belt driven
fan to cool the radiator. So the electric radiator
fan was developed.... And another 30A was
added to the alternator load.

But the average load is MUCH less, since the fan's
duty cycle is much less than 100%. At highway
speeds the fan may never run. And BTW, many
rear drive vehicles used an auxiliary fan too increase
airflow with the A/C on (or in unusually heavy
cooling load conditions).

Agreed, but with the thermostatically regulated belt
drive fans the same result was achieved. In both cases
however, the waterpump is kept pumping at full capacity.

The alternator has to be sized to run the fan continuously,
as that is what happens on a very hot summer's day at less
than highway speed. The situation will be even worse when
the AC becomes electric.

There's a lot more than meets the eye sometimes.

Absolutely!

-Chuck

Nothing40

Chuck Harris wrote in message ...
Toyota MADE great cars. Now they make cars with
great market appeal.

Agreed..My Dad's,ermm '86 Camry? is a great car,and has plenty of
"oomph" with the V6,I was impressed.. It is finally in need of a new
headgasket,first major problem over the years..
A friends (then) Brand new 02 Camry however, is a complete heap.:
Sunroof broken twice,serious clutch/tranny issues after ~200
miles,passenger window got stuck down,and had black tar-goo all over
the glass,..engine light all the time,etc,etc,etc..all within the
first 2 months.It was(and still is)in the shop more than it was
driven.(not an exaggration!)
Not to mention it's gutless(4cyl).Good on gas mileage,But it could use
some help.It feels like you are sitting in a soda can on
wheels..plasticy,and flimsy.. (I thought I was going to rip the door
panel off when I closed the door!)
One newer car I was impressed with was the New Beetle Turbo S.
1.8L-Turbo,180HP with a 6 speed,it scoots! Plus it feels solid! It
doesn't flex and creak when you go over bumps,the doors aren't gonna
come off in your hand,etc. Well made,nice solid feel.(Leave it to
those Germans!) My girlfriend's has been in the shop for minor things
(spoiler was stuck in the up position,etc.) nothing too major.
Most new cars are just too "cheap" feeling to me..especialy for
$20-30K Bah!
I could easily buy another nice classic for half of that..and use the
rest for gas ;-) Ohh,or a '32 Ford.. *drool*

You should have seen the result of the collision
between my 1974 Toyota Celica, and a 2002 Toyota
Camry. The 1974 Celica was known in the '70s as
a car that was weak in a crash. Well,....

My Celica had a tiny little crease in the front
fender, A broken running light, and a straightenable
twist in the front bumper. The Camry lost its entire
rear quarter (starting at the rear door) including
its rear bumper. $600 damage vs $2500 damage.
I drove away, the Camry was towed. Great improvement!

Anyone care to bet on how many 2002 Camry's will
still be on the road and in regular use in 2031?

-Chuck

Jim McShane wrote:
"Ian Iveson" wrote...

[...]

Jim McShane

Hello Nothing,

You wrote...

A friends (then) Brand new 02 Camry however,
is a complete heap.: Sunroof broken twice, serious
clutch/tranny issues after ~200 miles,passenger
window got stuck down,and had black tar-goo
all over the glass,..engine light all the time,etc,etc,
etc..all within the first 2 months.It was(and still is)
in the shop more than it was driven.(not an
exaggration!)

FYI, your friend's Camry is suspect to me. Toyota
imported/built VERY VERY few manual tranny
Camrys, and normally the 4 cyl. in those cars can
easily and often is mistaken for a 6.

The goo in the door and the window problem
lead me to believe this vehicle was not "factory
fresh" when it was purchased. Even if purchased
new, I might be tempted to research and see if
the vehicle had any "incidents" before delivery -
I'd be especially looking for "rustproofing" material
applied by some one other than the factory. I've
seen these symptoms many times from poor/sloppy
application of that useless stuff. If that's the case,
it's not the car's fault.

If he/she didn't buy it brand new I'll bet that was a
flood damage car or damaged in some way prior
to the purchase.

If it was bought new, your friend would have been
wise to exercise his/her Lemon Law rights. Why
would they not do so unless there was some reason
not to? Methinks we're not getting the whole story
on this car here...

Oh, and from the previous post...

My Celica had a tiny little crease in the

front fender, A broken running light, and
a straightenable twist in the front bumper.
The Camry lost its entire rear quarter
starting at the rear door) including its
rear bumper. $600 damage vs $2500
damage. I drove away, the Camry was
towed. Great improvement!

Yes, a great improvement! The design of newer
vehicles is such that they are built to absorb
the impacts rather than pass them on to the
vehicle occupants. It's not just Toyotas either,
all late model stuff is designed to buckle the
metal to absorb impact. In your specific case I
can tell you the quarters are built with a specific
"bend" point engineered into them.

Like so much engineering, it's always a tradeoff.
Yes, the sheet metal on the Camry (or Accord
or Altima or ??) is more likely to get damaged,
but in a hard hit I'd MUCH rather be in the Camry
than the old Celica. I owned a '74 and liked it a lot,
but it was nowhere near as well engineered as the
'02 Camry. The engineers have decided (with
both regulatory and market forces driving them)
to sacrifice metal instead of occupants.

Oh, one last thing - a poster wrote...

The 1974 Celica was known in the '70s as
a car that was weak in a crash.

I'd like to know how that was "known". The most
common source of that sort of info back then was
American brand car salesmen.

That was also the widely held perception about
unibody constructed vehicles. If it didn't have
a big-ass frame under it, it was weak! Wrong,
but widely believed.

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

Jim McShane

Hi Ned,

Do Priuses have those .1 ohm thousand watt braking
resistors hanging under them, too? ;-)

Hee! I don't THINK so, but hey, they do have
regenerative braking.

Hmmm...maybe Kapton (used a lot in speaker
voice coils) or Nomex (used a lot in transformers)?

I just can't recall, my mind is blank on that. you could
be right, but I just don't remember.

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

Ian Iveson

"Jim McShane" wrote

Nope, not where I used to work. In fact, the
company gave major awards for improvement to
many a line worker. They often suggested design
changes to the product that were adopted by
the design teams. AND...

OK...but...

...any Toyota assembly line worker can shut
down the entire line if needed - believe it or not.
If he/she sees something wrong - they pull the plug!

Oooh. I didn't know that...crikey. I can't see how they would get
away with that here. A single worker would be far too scared, and
collective labour would stop for tea.

Yes, but not ONLY for those criteria. Besides,

there are other ways to cut costs, it doesn't have
to mean less resources for the vehicle build. Lowering
warranty claims, reducing plant power and materials
consumption, plant damage reduction, reducing waste
disposal - all are valid ways to reduce the cost of
production without compromising quality.

Right! I don't mean to contradict what you say. I love this stuff,
it's my vocation too.

I hope my next airplane flight is boring for sure!

Depends what you fly in. With an airbus, interesting means unsafe,
as a bunch of French politicians and their pilot discovered after
they made an unauthorised detour to an airshow, to show off the new
plane. The pilot overrode the computer to do a low pass, and
crashed. The planes are so optimised they only work within strict
limits, and the pilot's judgement is not to be trusted.

Tim, OTOH, could fly himself in something capable of being
interesting and reliable at the same time, although he would miss
much of the anxiety concerning incompetent air traffic control,
hi-jack, and surface-to-air missiles. Or you could drive the Lexus
if the roads were empty and the right shape.

Quality should be much more than zero defects, and a reliability
curve that runs flat at unity for X years before dropping to zero in
the following six months. Lexus was a deliberate departure so that
Toyota could address the issue of "quality of experience", without
blurring their own brand's definition of the word.

It is very interesting to see the interplay here between production
engineer and the end-user supplier.

Several issues are intertwined. Toyota have the best reliability
record in the UK AFAIK so I am a little surprised by Jim's
experience. It is true that manufacturing quality here is not
always what it is elsewhere. This is for two main reasons, both
related to the plot. First, there remains a "craft" reaction to
deskilling of labour, perhaps overcome by Toyota UK but not by its
local suppliers. Second, there is still a strong resistance to the
"Honda City" approach to social organisation. We don't like all
this robot stuff. We don't generally want robot cars or to become
robots ourselves. The further North the worse we get. The
Romans had the same trouble. Nissan chose the North here and
suffered badly in consequence.

Most cars in inner Bradford are Toyotas, with Honda and Nissan also
evident, but there is a stark and obvious change as you enter
non-Muslim areas, where most are European. The Toyota Carina is a
devout car. Perhaps they are big in Salt Lake City. There is a lot
of culture in a Toyota, but it's not mine.

You are absolutely right in all you say, although I might ask what
the hit rate is for the adoption of lowly workers' contribution to
design. Certainly they are not allowed to introduce changes on
their own, willy nilly, and would certainly be sacked rather than
rewarded if they did. So the emphasis for them is on how to improve
the way it *is*. They aren't going to post ideas about how the car
could be more exciting, or how to stop winding up the dealers with
niggles they can't fix.

I wondered BTW, why trains didn't have drive-shafts to all the axles
from the unit at the front...but all those efficiency equations
became out of date when the lines were electrified.

Also about efficiency. I assume that every piece of modern
automotive engineering is for a sound reason, within the defined
role of the vehicle and the current economics of raw materials. I do
wonder though how much the apparent improvements in efficiency add
up in a wider context. How much simply arises from the narrowing of
user requirements and how much is at a greater total cost of
resources? If I work for a company like Toyota, then I end up
needing that kind of car, which does one thing very efficiently, but
is crap at anything else, and which alienates me from the process of
driving, and which contains heaps of plastics and other economically
volatile, non-renewable materials.

The thing that frightens us most was summed up nicely by Marx and
Engels: "There is a spectre hanging over Europe, the spectre of
Communism".

None of us looks forward to losing our souls in some social machine.
Wires can't multiply and get thinner forever. Once you've
multiplexed and neural-networked and interfaced with the global
guidance and maintenance network there is not much further to go.
Like temperature, human freedom has an absolute zero. Then we will
be totally efficient and without defect.

Everyone in the supply chain will then be completely powerless if
something does go wrong. Same fear we have with MS.

It's Sunday. My local electronics store is crammed full of
gold-plated OFC double-heavy-duty car audio connectors. I wonder if
this stuff affects their Toyota warranties?

cheers, Ian

in message m...
"Ian Iveson" wrote...

[...]

Ned Carlson

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 14:50:53 +0000, Jim McShane wrote:

Hi Ned,

Do Priuses have those .1 ohm thousand watt braking
resistors hanging under them, too? ;-)

Hee! I don't THINK so, but hey, they do have
regenerative braking.

Here's an idea...if they run the motor on high voltage
AC, they could control the motor with gas tubes...it's
been done (albeit not with terribly great success)
with locomotives..

--
Ned Carlson Triode Electronics
5633 W Irving Park Rd Chicago, IL, 60634 USA

Richard S. McCown

Patrick wrote:
cattle lowing in the lane,
--------------
Hi Patrick, just for trivial pursuit,
Sarah is the lower voice, and Maybelle the higher.
http://www.stevenmenke.com/Carter%20Family%20No2%20.htm
I was trying to think of an Irish sounding American song, and Shenendoah
fits the bill, as Irish Tenor material even.
You'll remember it from the Jimmy Stewart movie.
Curiously enough, Richard Thompson was on the radio a while back talking
about that very song. He not only covered it, but dug out the history of
it somewhere.
It wasn't about the Shenendoah in Virginia, (as in the movie) but a
river in Ohio he pronounced Shannandoh. Both likely named for the River
Shannon of course. (I couldn't find any translation as anything other
than, place name, river shannon)
I think he said it *was* a Civil War song.