Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Peter is offline

Default TADAC?

I wonder if anyone reading this may have had some experience with the TADAC?

Supposedly this is an excellent two tube Dac for $899, but unfortunately the
gentleman who custom builds these, Mr. Paul Grzybek, refuses to provide any
type of "customer satisfaction guarantee" similar to the 30 day guarantee
provided with the Van Alstine Ultra Dac, as well as all for all of their
products, and he also apparently refuses to talk with anyone on the
telephone.

Unfortunately there are no dealers for TADACs so they have to be purchased
unheard.

The only allowance Mr. Grzybek will make in case his TADAC does not match up
well with an audio system, he will try and sell the unit on Audigon as used,
and then return $800 minus the original shipping cost.

According to what I read on the Internet, the TADAC used to be available
with return privileges and a restocking charge of $45 which I think is quite
reasonable, but Mr. Gryzbek has indicated in an Email that he can no longer
do this because of the present economic climate.

From everything that I have read the TADAC seems to be an excellent Dac, but

I am most reluctant to invest $899 plus shipping for a unit that I have
never heard, and which I have no idea how well it would interface with my
audio system, and how I would audibly perceive it considering that I am 83
years old.

I would be most grateful to hear from anyone who might have had experience
with the TADAC, or perhaps with other tube output Dacs.

Thanks very much in advance.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Mar 17, 10:10*am, "Peter"
wrote:
[...]

From everything that I have read the TADAC seems to be an excellent Dac, but

I am most reluctant to invest $899 plus shipping for a unit that I have
never heard, and which I have no idea how well it would interface with my
audio system, and how I would audibly perceive it considering that I am 83
years old.

I would be most grateful to hear from anyone who might have had experience
with the TADAC, or perhaps with other tube output Dacs.

Thanks very much in advance.

No experience with TADAC - for the record.

But a DAC that uses tubes is already of questionable utility as well
as being 100% silly. Given that one is changing from Digital bits to
Analog signal - the utility much less appropriateness of tubes in that
process is hard to fathom. And to spend over $900 for that silliness
suggests that Mr. Grzybek has very artfully identified his market.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 07:10:16 -0700, Peter wrote
(in article ):

[...]

From everything that I have read the TADAC seems to be an excellent Dac,
but

I am most reluctant to invest $899 plus shipping for a unit that I have
never heard, and which I have no idea how well it would interface with my
audio system, and how I would audibly perceive it considering that I am 83
years old.

I would be most grateful to hear from anyone who might have had experience
with the TADAC, or perhaps with other tube output Dacs.

Thanks very much in advance.

I don't think I'd want to do business with someone who sells a device like
that with no guarantees or recourse whatsoever. There are lots of good
sounding DACs available from reputable manufacturers who stand behind their
products. The TET/Beresford TC-7510 for about $100 on E-bay is one choice, as
is the excellent $400 Cambridge DAC. Moving upscale, there are good DACs
available from Benchmark, Lavry, and Apogee available in the $1K range and,
of course, one can go up from there. All of these companies have good
reputations and stand behind their products. Even the guy who sells the TET
TC-7510 on E-bay will refund your $100 if you are, in any way, dissatisfied
with the product.