Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Peter is offline

Default Sony SCD-XA5400ES CD Player

I wonder if anyone has had an opportunity to audition this new Sony CD
player, especially with standard "Redbook" CDs? According to some of the
reviews it is supposed to be outstandingly good.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] cyriloscope@gmail.com is offline

On Apr 18, 4:27*pm, "Peter"
wrote:
I wonder if anyone has had an opportunity to audition this new Sony CD
player, especially with standard "Redbook" CDs? *According to some of the
reviews it is supposed to be outstandingly good.

Hello there- I have purchased one of those about a month ago- and am
still amazed by the results. I definitively prefer it to its
predecessor, the 9000ES. Most Sony high-end devices have that burly,
turbulent child sound, with seemingly too much slam. This model does
not: very detailed, extremely clean while remaining lyrical at the
same time, dynamic but lean, it's a pleasure to live with. For the
note, it is actually the cheapest piece of equipment in my system- and
I auditioned many other players, settling on this one after a lot of
listening. No regrets yet

Compared to other devices in this price range (NAD M series, Marantz,
Denon, and so on) the Sony is clearly a winner; I even prefer it to
the higher end Marantz players. Compared to the Accuphase, the Meitner
and other real high hitters, it still plays ball and I could not
really pick a winner. I am unaware of the DAC IC used in this player,
and given Sony's habit of using Burr Brown "Current Steering" DACs, I
suspect they went that route again, but I just can't pinpoint the
sound, while I usually recognize those DACs in a few minutes. The
analog board is below the digital board, so it will take me a bit of
time to get to it, but I will... I will

Now, WRT CD playback, I find it very good as well. Does it compare to
the latest Meridian CD808i, $20 000 player? I hope not But I do not
know as I have never heard the Meridian in my system. This said, it is
definitively the best CD player I have owned (and I have owned a few
very nice pieces). For the sake of making an educated decision, I
would compare it to the Cambridge Audio CD840, which is getting raving
reviews. It will not play SACDs however, if this is what you are
after...

Hope this helps!
Cheers,

Cyril Martin
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Wed, 20 May 2009 11:07:08 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

On Apr 18, 4:27*pm, "Peter"
wrote:
[...]

That's odd. Sony "thinks" that the SCD-XA5400ES is an SACD player and you say
it's not. Hmmmmm........

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson[_3_] Kalman Rubinson[_3_] is offline

wrote:
[...]

It's a floor wax!! ;-)

Of course, it is both a CD player and an SACD player and it does both
very, very well.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
moobinsikau moobinsikau is offline

wrote:
[...]

- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

I am currently using a Yamaha DVD S-2700 as a SACD/CD player in my
headphone setup. Does anybody have any idea how the SCD-XA5400ES would
compare to my player ? Although mine is a DVD player - now
discontinued and may be had as a bagain - voila - it has a somewhat
optimized audio section and performs quite accurate and detailled. It
is a bit on the "lean" side I believe, though. Dreaming of an EMM Labs
CDSA SE - although dreaming only before I win the lottery.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson[_3_] Kalman Rubinson[_3_] is offline

wrote:
I wonder if anyone has had an opportunity to audition this new Sony CD
player, especially with standard "Redbook" CDs? According to some of the
reviews it is supposed to be outstandingly good.

Based on Mr. Rubinson's recommendation, I ordered one of these CD players at
a local Sony Style store, and unfortunately I must report that I cannot
share his enthusiasm because compared to my Cambridge Azur 840C CD player,
the Sony to my ears seemed more "closed in" with less highs than the Azur,
even after a week of continual burn-in.

Very system dependent, of course. I think it is definately more
balanced than the 840c (which I have only heard briefly) on both of my
systems.

But to make matters worse, when I tried to play my only SACD disc, whose
redbook layer plays fine on the Azur CD player, the Sony player refused to
recognize it at all despite several drawer in and out attempts.

You need to set the default priorities with the switches. As
delivered, the 5400 defaults to SACD.

The Sony SACD player was indeed a factory-sealed brand-new unit, hence I
cannot explain any of the above, unless Sony is having some severere quality
control problems.

Certainly possible. As you, I have only one sample from which to
judge.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson[_3_] Kalman Rubinson[_3_] is offline

: wrote:
: I wonder if anyone has had an opportunity to audition this new Sony CD
: player, especially with standard "Redbook" CDs? According to some of the
: reviews it is supposed to be outstandingly good.

: Based on Mr. Rubinson's recommendation, I ordered one of these CD players at
: a local Sony Style store, and unfortunately I must report that I cannot
: share his enthusiasm because compared to my Cambridge Azur 840C CD player,
: the Sony to my ears seemed more "closed in" with less highs than the Azur,
: even after a week of continual burn-in.

Two questions:

a) how can a non-defective CD player not transmit all the highs
(and lows) present on the digital signal on the disc? Is there a filter
in there someplace?

b) How could burning it in/breaking it in improve this? It's a
digital device, not a pair of shoes!

There are subtle differences in tonal balance among players via their
analog outputs which can be magnified depending on the systems in
which they are used. I do not think that Peter was implying that
certain frequencies were actually "lost." Some of us emphasize these
differences in discussion, disproportionate to their real magnitude.

I agree with you about break-in.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] tony.lombo@gmail.com is offline

On Apr 18, 4:27*pm, "Peter"
wrote:
I wonder if anyone has had an opportunity to audition this new Sony CD
player, especially with standard "Redbook" CDs? *According to some of the
reviews it is supposed to be outstandingly good.

With redbook cds the performance of the SCD_xa5400es is warm and
detailed, but if you play an SA-CD of, for example, Living-Stereo
label, you'll jump into the analog sounding dsd audio... and if you
any time listened to a turntable analogue recording, you'll know what
I mean with "analog soundin" : realistic, non-fatigating, hiper
detailed and very warm reproduction...
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
I wonder if anyone has had an opportunity to audition this new Sony CD
player, especially with standard "Redbook" CDs? *According to some of the
reviews it is supposed to be outstandingly good.

[ Excessive quoting deleted. -- dsr ]

[...]

I did an A/B comparison betwen my SCD-XA5400ES and the Yamaha CD-S2000
(you know the yamaha fat metal player) and with redbook (normal) cds
the sony sounded warmer and more powerfully detailed but when you turn
to SA-CD you jump into the "analog sounding" high res field, the
sony's sound here is way, way more detailed

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

: wrote:
[...]

Has this been demonstrated with anyting other than reviewer ears?
Have Stereophile measurements of analog output, for example, generally shown
FR or other variations that would likely be audible on various
systems, and if so, which systems?

I do not think that Peter was implying that
certain frequencies were actually "lost." Some of us emphasize these
differences in discussion, disproportionate to their real magnitude.

Some of us suspect they likely weren't *really* audible in the first place,
except for easily-corrected overall level mismatches.

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 01:53:03 -0700, Steven Sullivan wrote
(in article ):

wrote:
[...]

My Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD players has several "filter" positions for Redbook
playback. I can guarantee you that as one switches through them, they each
sound different -mostly in the upper midrange and treble. So, depending on
what the manufacturer decides to do, CD players CAN sound quite different.
Also, I suspect, that without any kind of filter, all of them would sound
pretty much the same.

Sony SCD-XA5400ES CD Player Peter Audio Opinions 5 April 20th 09 05:49 PM
206 Stalk and new Sony CD Player shaun Car Audio 0 December 12th 06 10:54 PM
Sony XES-Z50 cd player... Tommy Car Audio 0 September 19th 04 07:26 PM
Sony pullout cd player Pete Car Audio 0 August 27th 04 03:50 PM
WTB: Sony CDP-750 CD Player [email protected] General 0 August 4th 03 10:43 PM