Brian

Default Receiver / Speaker combination

I'm new to this and wanted to get some advice from those that are
better-informed...

I'm thinking of getting the Devon 3805 receiver with the Sonus Faber
Grand Piano speakers (incl the center and rear speakers) to go with my
56" Samsung DLP. Receiver: $1,200 Speakers: $3,600 + $1000
(center)+ $1,200 (rears)

Total: about $7,000

(1) Is there a better combination for the money?
(2) Is this receiver underpowered for the speakers?
(3) If we are slighty limited on speaker placement (2-3 feet off the
back wall is pushing the asthetics of the room, so says my wife) are
we wasting money getting the Sonus Faber speakers?

Thanks!
Brian

Philip Meech

I think you should look at Definitive Technology bi polar speakers
paired with the Aragon multichannel amplifier or even Adcom. This is a
great home theatre. This with the Adcom would save you $2000.00. I think
the Sonus Faber are too furniture-esque. Home theatre is more room
filling than two channel critical listening.

Brian wrote:
I'm new to this and wanted to get some advice from those that are
better-informed...

I'm thinking of getting the Devon 3805 receiver with the Sonus Faber
Grand Piano speakers (incl the center and rear speakers) to go with my
56" Samsung DLP. Receiver: $1,200 Speakers: $3,600 + $1000
(center)+ $1,200 (rears)

Total: about $7,000

(2) Is this receiver underpowered for the speakers?

Probably not. The speakers are sensitive at 90dB (2.83v/1m) and the
Denon is rated at 120W into 8 ohms. The Sonus Fabers are nominally 6
ohms, though. According to the Denon specs, it'll do 160W into 6
ohms, albeit at 0.7% THD.

You could do better with more amplifier, but the difference would be a
couple of decibels. You could always add more power later.

Andrew.