Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Instrument in, or line in?

I was asking about direct boxes in another thread. It was
pretty much determined that I could plug my Takamini
classical and my friend's bass directly into my Mackie
mixer since they both have active electronics. I have
an interface now, that provides both line ins and
instrument ins. I know, I'll try them and see if I
hear any difference. I was just wondering which input
you guys would go for in this situation.

Thanks,

Tobiah

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/5/2014 2:57 PM, Tobiah wrote:
I have
an interface now, that provides both line ins and
instrument ins. I know, I'll try them and see if I
hear any difference. I was just wondering which input
you guys would go for in this situation.

The one that you find works better after you try it.

There isn't likely to be great difference in the sound of the instrument
with active electronics, but there may be a difference in noise level or
hum, and input sensitivity. One (more likely the instrument input than
the line input) may not have, as Mr. James Bond refers to it, "any
headroom."

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 7/5/2014 2:57 PM, Tobiah wrote:
I have
an interface now, that provides both line ins and
instrument ins. I know, I'll try them and see if I
hear any difference. I was just wondering which input
you guys would go for in this situation.

The one that you find works better after you try it.

There isn't likely to be great difference in the sound of the instrument
with active electronics, but there may be a difference in noise level or
hum, and input sensitivity. One (more likely the instrument input than the
line input) may not have, as Mr. James Bond refers to it, "any headroom."

Ah - touche.

Of course there is a difference between input sensitivity and 'headroom' as
you well know, and I'm not going to presume any knowledge to add to that
topic.

Sean