Mark Hicks

Default Electro-Voice 664 Cardioid Mic

Hello, folks.

Today a friend gave me the above microphone. It's in mint condition, still
in the box. It has a cable with it that attaches to the mic, but the other
end of that cable has three bare wires showing (a black wire, a white wire,
and what looks like a ground). I've never cut into a mic cable before, so
please give me some feedback on how to take one of my mic cables and join it
to the Electro-Voice cable.

Oh, and is this even worth it? Does anyone use this mic in their studios?
I have a computer-based home studio using a Delta 1010 soundcard and an
Allen & Heath mixer. I've have several Shure 57s ..... is the
Eletro-Voice similiar? I've also got a few of the cheaper Marshall
condenser mics as well as an AKG condenser. So, with my "mic cabinet",
would this mic be of any use?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Mark Hicks

NW

No..this is the worse mic in the world. It will actually destroy the sound of
other mic's near it due to a electro-mechanical after-wave. You must send it to
me immediately for proper disposal. I am probably the only license person you
know who can do this.

On the other hand...all mic's are useful tools. It should have a Amphenol type
4-pin screw on the mic side, which can be attached to an XLR type male plug. You
can try here
http://bama.sbc.edu/electro.htm for a diagram.

Or try the following: On the screw on Amphenol side it should be:
Pin 1- Shield Pin 2-Hi-Z Pin 3-Low-Z/ balanced 150 ohm Pin 4-Low-Z+
And on the XLR male side it should be:
Pin 1-Ground ( Shield ) Pin 2-Hi Z Pin 3-The 2 Low Z's tied together.

Solder away.

Nathan West

Mark Hicks wrote:

Oh, and is this even worth it? Does anyone use this mic in their studios?
I have a computer-based home studio using a Delta 1010 soundcard and an
Allen & Heath mixer. I've have several Shure 57s ..... is the
Eletro-Voice similiar? I've also got a few of the cheaper Marshall
condenser mics as well as an AKG condenser. So, with my "mic cabinet",
would this mic be of any use?

Mark Hicks

Hahaha..... You had me going there for a minute.
Thanks for the info, Nathan. I'm printing your reply as I type.
I do appreciate your help. I'm curious as to how this mic sounds. I've
done some surfing and have seen lots of pictures of it. It seems like it
was a pretty handy mic in its day. I can't wait to try it! Thanks
again!
-Mark Hicks

"NW" wrote in message ...
[...]

Twist Turner

Plug it in and listen. They are great mics and very often over looked
these days.

I like to use them on guitar amps when there are 2 guitars, I'll use a
MD421 or SM57 on one and use the 664 on the other one just so the tracks
don't have the same tonal qualities and blend better in the mix.

What's it worth? Maybe $75 in mint cond.

http://www.vintagemicsales.com

Mark Hicks

Ooops, I'm new at this and not sure if my reply went through to the group,
so here it is again:

Some of the surfing that I did, I found their prices in good condition to be
between about 75 and 150 bucks or so. I've read where they are supposed to
be good on guitar amps, so I will certainly try it along side a SM57 the
next time I record two amps at once. I still haven't had a chance to put
the cord together and try it out by I hope to by the end of the day.
Thanks for the input!
-Mark Hicks

Scott Dorsey

Mark Hicks wrote:

Today a friend gave me the above microphone. It's in mint condition, still
in the box. It has a cable with it that attaches to the mic, but the other
end of that cable has three bare wires showing (a black wire, a white wire,
and what looks like a ground). I've never cut into a mic cable before, so
please give me some feedback on how to take one of my mic cables and join it
to the Electro-Voice cable.

EV has a datasheet with a complete pinout on it. The cable can be pinned
for either high-Z or low-Z operation. If you have the low-Z cable, then
the black and white wires go to pins 2 and 3 on the XLR, with the ground
sleeve tied to pin 1.

Oh, and is this even worth it? Does anyone use this mic in their studios?
I have a computer-based home studio using a Delta 1010 soundcard and an
Allen & Heath mixer. I've have several Shure 57s ..... is the
Eletro-Voice similiar? I've also got a few of the cheaper Marshall
condenser mics as well as an AKG condenser. So, with my "mic cabinet",
would this mic be of any use?

It's more neutral sounding than the SM-57. The pattern is similar, the
presence peak is lower. It's a handy microphone to have around. I carry
a couple in the PA mike kit. They look weird and old but they sound good
and have good feedback rejection in PA applications.
--scott

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Mark Hicks

Mark Hicks

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Mark Hicks wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Scott Dorsey, I appreciate that info! So, people do still use
them some in their studios? That's good to hear. Also, I'm in a band
so I might just start toting this mic around with me to gigs and give it a
try. Seems like I did read on some website that the mic didn't feedback
much when used through a PA. I was pretty excited when this guy came up to
me and told me he had a very old mic in mint condition that he wanted to
give me. The guy knew I had a little studio and just wanted to contribute
to it I guess. Thanks again, Scott.
Mark Hicks

Wayne

Oh, and is this even worth it? Does anyone use this mic in their
studios?

Back when Hitler was a road guard, I used the 664 on kick until I could afford
a 666. We then moved it over to amps. Wish I still had one. Paid $49.95
brand new with cable.

Also doubles as a hammer for assembling staging in live situations, much like a
SM57. Scott left the part about the hammer out. gr

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-
Mark Hicks

"Wayne" wrote in message
Oh, and is this even worth it? Does anyone use this mic in their

studios?

Back when Hitler was a road guard, I used the 664 on kick until I could

afford
a 666. We then moved it over to amps. Wish I still had one. Paid $49.95
brand new with cable.

Also doubles as a hammer for assembling staging in live situations, much

like a
SM57. Scott left the part about the hammer out. gr

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-

And, now the cables are 49.95.
-Mark

Darrell Klein

If you get stumped, or can't find it on-line at the EV site, post
again. I have the data sheet and could photo-copy one for you. If i
had a scanner, i'd scan it, but i don't. Maybe someone else has one
they could scan.

I did a live recording, straight to two-track, on short notice about
five years back. All I had with me was my "live" mic case. I ended up
using two EV 664's on the drum kit: one about 1 foot high three feet
out front of the kick, the other one at five feet high aimed between
the rack toms. I listened to the tape the other day and I am still
surprised how good it came out.

Mark Hicks

"Darrell Klein" wrote in message
om...
If you get stumped, or can't find it on-line at the EV site, post
again. I have the data sheet and could photo-copy one for you. If i
had a scanner, i'd scan it, but i don't. Maybe someone else has one
they could scan.

I did a live recording, straight to two-track, on short notice about
five years back. All I had with me was my "live" mic case. I ended up
using two EV 664's on the drum kit: one about 1 foot high three feet
out front of the kick, the other one at five feet high aimed between
the rack toms. I listened to the tape the other day and I am still
surprised how good it came out.

Hey, Darrell. It sounds like I got a pretty good mic. I'm going to have
to be sure and thank the guy again that gave it to me. And, I'm going to
let him know that the pros have mostly good things to say about the mic. I
guess I got lucky. I can't wait to try it. And, boy does it look like its
built to last! Thanks! I'll keep it in mind the next time I record
drums.
-Mark Hicks

Stephen Raiman

Also, I'm in a band
so I might just start toting this mic around with me to gigs and give it a
try.

It'd be cool for that. The 664 is all over the place in old concert
videos, with The Beatles using it and such. No matter how it sounds,
it'll look cool with the whole vintage-chic thing going on.
ChuxGarage

The 664 used to be known as "The Buchanan Hammer." They were built in
Buchanan, Michigan, and you really could use one to drive nails.

For years the EV in-house news letter was called "The Buchanan Hammer." I
guess they knew what they were building.
leigh marble

I've been trying out some of these old EV's lately, the 664 and also
the 636. I replaced the four pin out on these with standard XLR, since
I don't ever need to use the hi-Z output.

If you want to do this, you need to find an in-line XLR male connector
with a screw that fastens into the side of the plastic circle that has
the pins molded into it. The regular Neutrik connectors don't have
these anymore. Maybe you can take just take the part off a Neutrik and
drill your own hole, I don't know.

So open the mic up and take that four pin connector out of there. It's
a tight fit - I had to tap it out (gently!) with a hammer. Unsolder
the four wires running to the connector. You can just put some
heatshrink over the yellow wire, as that's the high impedence wire.
The red wire goes to pin 2, green to pin 3, and the orange or white
wire goes to ground, pin 1. Then put it all back together.

Note that the downside to this is that XLR cables don't lock into
place, as there's no locking tab on there.

Hope that helps,
Leigh
Mark Hicks

"Stephen Raiman" wrote in message
om...
Also, I'm in a band
so I might just start toting this mic around with me to gigs and give it

try.

It'd be cool for that. The 664 is all over the place in old concert
videos, with The Beatles using it and such. No matter how it sounds,
it'll look cool with the whole vintage-chic thing going on.

I appreciate all the comments on the mic, guys! Thanks a lot! I did get
the mic going and it does have a nice, clean sound. I can't wait to use it
live. We have a gig Saturday and I think I'm going to take it and give it
a try. The lead singer doesn't know it yet but I have a feeling he's gonna
like it. Thanks again for all the input folks!
-Mark Hicks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] neelyjohns@gmail.com is offline

I picked one of these mics up today. I used one of the mini Pinal charts available here and many other places all over the web and made a modification to the input jack. I thought you guys might like to see what I did, I think it works out quite well, is very sturdy, and gives a proper latching point for the incoming cable.

I don't know if these cable ends I have here are switchcraft of what, but I have quite the stash of them as a result of mining out old sound systems in my day job. if you like this design and make friend with me, I might be inclined to pass one long so that you could do the same thing. Anyone please also feel free to ask me to explain this picture a little further if you don't understand what you see.

I don't know if this will work, but here is a link to the pic.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0...o/IMAG0689.jpg
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

If anyone still wants to know what the mic sounds like (the thread originated in 2003), listen to any early Muddy Waters record on Chess, and listen to the drums.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I picked one of these mics up today. I used one of the mini Pinal charts av=
ailable here and many other places all over the web and made a modification=
to the input jack. I thought you guys might like to see what I did, I thin=
k it works out quite well, is very sturdy, and gives a proper latching poin=
t for the incoming cable.

Switchcraft used to make an insert that would replace the insert of those
Amphenol connectors and provide an XLR. I don't think it's still available,
though, so making your own is an interesting idea.

How did you hold the XLR shell into the mike? Is it just held with the single
mounting screw or is there something else.

I don't know if these cable ends I have here are switchcraft of what, but I=
have quite the stash of them as a result of mining out old sound systems i=
n my day job. if you like this design and make friend with me, I might be i=
nclined to pass one long so that you could do the same thing. Anyone please=
also feel free to ask me to explain this picture a little further if you d=
on't understand what you see.

I don't know if this will work, but here is a link to the pic.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0...AAAAABng/LuwZ=
p-R6YhA/w1296-h733-no/IMAG0689.jpg

Works just fine. Out of curiosity, though, why did you do this rather than
just make a cable with an Amphenol connector on the end?