Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default Unmatched remote switch for talkback

I need a talkback button. I'm doing more things around here and it's a pain to reach over to the rack and press the little button on the cue amp. It has a remote input, but I cannot find a commercially available solution (as simple as it seems!) that I want. I do not want to use a keyboard sustain pedal. I have a little box with an unlatched carling switch (leftover from am electric guitar delay unit) and it would work except that type of switch is not finger friendly. I want a square button like you find on a console, that I can have right on the desktop next to my fader surface.

The best I can find is these options from switchcraft:

http://www.switchcraft.com/productsu...spx?Parent=470

The square button itself is exactly what I want....

But I don't know which to use and I also am not sure what kind of box to put it in.... If I got a little Hammond box like those used for guitar effects, I guess I'd need a drill press to make the cutout? I just need a button and a TS jack. What do you think I should do? Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/26/2014 5:15 PM, Nate Najar wrote:
I need a talkback button. I'm doing more things around here and it's
a pain to reach over to the rack and press the little button on the
cue amp. It has a remote input
The best I can find is these options from switchcraft:
The square button itself is exactly what I want....

But I don't know which to use and I also am not sure what kind of box
to put it in.... If I got a little Hammond box like those used for
guitar effects, I guess I'd need a drill press to make the cutout?

You can't put a square peg in a round hole unless you first make the
hole square, and you can't drill a square hole in a metal box with a
drill press. You need a punch, or a lot of patience and some accurate
work with a file.

You want one that mounts in a round hole. Most of those have a round
button, but here's one that will probably work for you. With a 1/4"
drill bit and a tapered reamer you should be able to make the right
sized hole in a metal box pretty quickly. It's just under 1/2" (a metric
size).

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...G2005-ND/81776

Or you might find one at your local Radio Shack. They used to have
switches like this. I've bought a few myself.

As far as which one to get, the differences are with the color of the
button and the number and type of contacts that the switch has. 1-A is a
single pole single throw normally open switch, which would work fine.
1-C is a single pole double through switch which would work fine simply
by wiring to the normally open contacts. 2-C is double pole double throw
which would also work by using just one set of normally open contacts.
Get the idea?

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

That's super helpful, thanks mike.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] spuorgelgoog@gowanhill.com is offline

On Saturday, July 26, 2014 10:15:08 PM UTC+1, Nate Najar wrote:
I want a square button like you find on a console, that I can have
right on the desktop next to my fader surface.

If it's just a single pole make contact you need, then door bell pushes are included (at least in the UK) in many electric wiring accessory ranges, eg

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTPSL03.html

this would just need a cable gland; or

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4848B.html

which could be easily flushed into a desk or other surface

Owain

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Nate Najar wrote:
I need a talkback button. I'm doing more things around here and it's a pain=
to reach over to the rack and press the little button on the cue amp. It =
has a remote input, but I cannot find a commercially available solution (as=
simple as it seems!) that I want. I do not want to use a keyboard sustain=
pedal. I have a little box with an unlatched carling switch (leftover fro=
m am electric guitar delay unit) and it would work except that type of swit=
ch is not finger friendly. I want a square button like you find on a conso=
le, that I can have right on the desktop next to my fader surface. =20

You can buy a premade cough button/talkback device intended for sportscasters
from any of the broadcast supply houses.

If you want to build your own, you want a switch with gold or silver plated
contacts.

My personal recommendation for this sort of thing is the IDEC AL6M series
of lighted pushbuttons. The one I have here is a round one, part number
AL6M M24-MW, which lights up green when 24V is supplied (although it will
light with 12V or with a series resistor off 48V phantom). They have a
very good feel to them and are quiet.

But I don't know which to use and I also am not sure what kind of box to pu=
t it in.... If I got a little Hammond box like those used for guitar effec=
ts, I guess I'd need a drill press to make the cutout? I just need a butto=
n and a TS jack. What do you think I should do? Thanks!

ITT Pomona Electronics. You can use a drill press or a mill to make holes in
the diecast boxes, but if you are careful and patient you can do it with a
dremel tool or a hand drill. However, the guys at your local engine rebuilding
shop would probably do it for a beer. I take all the small machining work to
a local custom motorcycle shop that does nice work for cheap.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
ITT Pomona Electronics. You can use a drill press or a mill to make
holes in the diecast boxes, but if you are careful and patient you can
do it with a dremel tool or a hand drill. However, the guys at your
local engine rebuilding shop would probably do it for a beer. I take
all the small machining work to a local custom motorcycle shop that does
nice work for cheap.

Things like Q-Max hole punches also work fine on a diecast box. And make a
near perfect cutout.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
MG[_4_] MG[_4_] is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Scott Dorsey wrote:
ITT Pomona Electronics. You can use a drill press or a mill to make
holes in the diecast boxes, but if you are careful and patient you can
do it with a dremel tool or a hand drill. However, the guys at your
local engine rebuilding shop would probably do it for a beer. I take
all the small machining work to a local custom motorcycle shop that does
nice work for cheap.

http://www.daltech.us/

We use dozens of these in the field. Pretty bullletproof. Jack is a local
guy.

Got lucky with unmatched mics... Andy Eng Pro Audio 2 March 22nd 07 02:28 PM
Building talkback remote for API 7800 [email protected] Pro Audio 0 January 16th 05 02:03 AM
A/V Switch with remote under $100? [email protected] Tech 1 December 26th 04 12:21 AM
Talkback switch plans Ghamal Pro Audio 3 June 19th 04 07:24 PM
recording choir with unmatched mics Craig Ruggels Pro Audio 6 December 11th 03 07:21 AM