Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Possibly duplicate about Android portable recording.

I have the M-audio Fast Track Ultra. I downloaded
the Audio Evolution multitrack program for Android
today, and hooked it up.

I was surprised that I had to pay another $6.50 or
so to enable USB support. I thought that was included.
Nevertheless, I paid it and hooked up the unit to my
phone.

It worked fine. I easily armed a track and started
recording. So far so good - but I could hear the
mics coming through the output. That's odd. I usually
never configure the unit that way. Ok, I'll just reach
for the mixer app and... oh right. I'm using the Android.

I had an Audiofire 8 (still do, but it doesn't work anymore)
that would allow the mixer settings to be flashed to the
unit so that it could be used in that configuration without
a computer. This turns out not to be the case with the
Fast Track Ultra. As soon as the power is reset, it defaults
to some mixer setting that always passes audio input to output.
I don't generally record like that unless I'm monitoring
the input explicitly through the recording software.

I normally get to the question late, and today is no
exception. Is there another unit, with as few as two channels
that would be suitable for this purpose, is as inexpensive
as possible and would comply to whatever standard is
allowing my Android to send and receive audio from the
Fast Track Ultra without drivers? I really want to
replace my Tascam HD-P2 since the Android affords a much
more robust and beautiful control interface. I think that
this unit would have to have the facility where I could
set the mixer settings at the computer, and then expect
those settings to be in place when I use the unit without
the computer.

Anyone else had luck with Android portable recording?

Thanks!

Tobiah

---