Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Beyringer crossover.

What's the Super-X Pro CX3400 like?

--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

What's the Super-X Pro CX3400 like?

What's your application? If non-critical casual use, it's probably fine. Seems to
have a lot of useful features for the money.

But don't expect reliability or excellent sonics -- the usual Behringer caveats.
(The thing that would spook me is a "smoke-grade" failure sending nasty crap to my
amps and speakers, possibly taking them out in the process.)

YMMV.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article isition,
Frank Stearns wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

What's the Super-X Pro CX3400 like?

What's your application? If non-critical casual use, it's probably fine.

Not for heavy pro use where ultimate reilabilty and ruggedness would be a
priority.

Seems to have a lot of useful features for the money.

Yes.

But don't expect reliability or excellent sonics -- the usual Behringer
caveats. (The thing that would spook me is a "smoke-grade" failure
sending nasty crap to my amps and speakers, possibly taking them out in
the process.)

Behringer stuff seems to vary quite a bit in its performance - some
offering very good results at the low cost. Others, not so good. Could be
different designers.

What would you choose with the same sort of facilities at a reasonable
cost?

YMMV.

Frank
Mobile Audio

--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

In article isition,
Frank Stearns wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

What's the Super-X Pro CX3400 like?

What's your application? If non-critical casual use, it's probably fine.

Not for heavy pro use where ultimate reilabilty and ruggedness would be a
priority.

Seems to have a lot of useful features for the money.

Yes.

But don't expect reliability or excellent sonics -- the usual Behringer
caveats. (The thing that would spook me is a "smoke-grade" failure
sending nasty crap to my amps and speakers, possibly taking them out in
the process.)

Behringer stuff seems to vary quite a bit in its performance - some
offering very good results at the low cost. Others, not so good. Could be
different designers.

What would you choose with the same sort of facilities at a reasonable
cost?

What's a reasonable cost for your application? If it's at that price point, this
unit is probably the only thing there.

You might try some web searches for crossovers; see which manufacturer might have
been the inspiration (source of pirated design?) for this Behringer unit. Even at 2x
or 3x the money, it's probably worth it in the long run to get the "real" version.
Otherwise, you could easily spend much more (10x-15x) for pro reliability and
transparent sonics.

Good luck with the project,
Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Frank Stearns wrote:
What would you choose with the same sort of facilities at a reasonable
cost?

What's a reasonable cost for your application? If it's at that price point, this
unit is probably the only thing there.

Also, what IS the application? Would you be happy with an analogue crossover?
The Rane AC-22 can be found for very low prices... with a little cleaning up
of the ground configurations and putting more reliable connectors into them
they can be reliable workhorses.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Frank Stearns wrote:
What would you choose with the same sort of facilities at a reasonable
cost?

What's a reasonable cost for your application? If it's at that price
point, this unit is probably the only thing there.

Also, what IS the application? Would you be happy with an analogue
crossover? The Rane AC-22 can be found for very low prices... with a
little cleaning up of the ground configurations and putting more
reliable connectors into them they can be reliable workhorses. --scott

It's for experimenting with a home design of a 3 way speaker. I'd like to
be able play with delay to individual units as well as just levels. And be
able to alter the crossover points easily and preferably have a choice of
slopes for each one.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Frank Stearns wrote:
What would you choose with the same sort of facilities at a reasonable
cost?

What's a reasonable cost for your application? If it's at that price
point, this unit is probably the only thing there.

Also, what IS the application? Would you be happy with an analogue
crossover? The Rane AC-22 can be found for very low prices... with a
little cleaning up of the ground configurations and putting more
reliable connectors into them they can be reliable workhorses.

It's for experimenting with a home design of a 3 way speaker. I'd like to
be able play with delay to individual units as well as just levels. And be
able to alter the crossover points easily and preferably have a choice of
slopes for each one.

AC-22 can be configured as a three-way with all-pass networks on two
of the outputs. No choice of slopes without doing a little soldering.
You'll find them on Ebay very cheaply.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Frank Stearns wrote:
[...]

Not in the UK. ;-)

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Frank Stearns wrote:
[...]

I've been looking at the Rane range as I'm not terribly familiar with
them. (my background is more broadcast audio)

The AC23S seems to do what I need - although being 2 X 3 way units in one
box might not be so convenient - but cost wise would be fine.

Would it be a better bet than 2x Behringer?

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 29-06-2014 10:20, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Frank Stearns wrote:

What would you choose with the same sort of facilities at a reasonable
cost?

What's a reasonable cost for your application? If it's at that price
point, this unit is probably the only thing there.

Also, what IS the application? Would you be happy with an analogue
crossover? The Rane AC-22 can be found for very low prices... with a
little cleaning up of the ground configurations and putting more
reliable connectors into them they can be reliable workhorses. --scott

It's for experimenting with a home design of a 3 way speaker. I'd like to
be able play with delay to individual units as well as just levels. And be
able to alter the crossover points easily and preferably have a choice of
slopes for each one.

Which is to say that you need a digital controller, the Behringer DCX
will do what you want according to its salestalk. I have one, but it is
still untested, so I don't know how it performs.

Word is that you should put pro signal levels through it for adequate
S/N ratio.

There are several websites dealing with how to mod it, and a company in
France that delivers a replacement analog board for it.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

AC-22 can be configured as a three-way with all-pass networks on two
of the outputs. No choice of slopes without doing a little soldering.
You'll find them on Ebay very cheaply.

I've been looking at the Rane range as I'm not terribly familiar with
them. (my background is more broadcast audio)

The AC23S seems to do what I need - although being 2 X 3 way units in one
box might not be so convenient - but cost wise would be fine.

The AC22 will do what you want, it can be configured either as a
3-way unit or as two 2-way units. You will need two of them, though.

Would it be a better bet than 2x Behringer?

It is purely analogue, so there is no added processing delay and no worry
about converters. On the other hand, it is purely analogue so you get no
additional filtration and can't just throw in a notch filter to see how it
sounds. The delay range is limited and it's not pure frequency-independent
delay, again because it's purely analogue.

The connectors are flaky but surprisingly the controls seem to hold up to
field use. The external wall-warts fail.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Frank Stearns wrote:
[...]

Er, AIUI, the AC-22 is a mono 3 way. The Behringer is a stereo 3-way.

So you would need 2 x AC-22 per one Behringer.

And the Behringer seems to be basically an analogue unit with a digital
delay in each/some chains.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Gareth Magennis wrote:
If you are in the UK, buying new stuff on Ebay from outside the EU can
be expensive. Postage costs are typically $30 or more from the States.

Moreover, if you buy stuff on Ebay from outside the EU, the courier
companies are obliged to pay the 20% VAT charge on import of such goods
on your behalf. They will then later present you with a bill for the
costs of the VAT on the item, plus a £10 administration charge for the
privilege of paying it upfront.

So, as has happened in my case, I buy an obsolete IC for $40, yet it
costs me that, plus 20% VAT, plus £10 admin to collect the VAT, plus
postage of around $30.

I now do not buy anything from Ebay that is sourced outside the EU.

Never components from the far east? They are usually on Ebay with 'free'
postage. And no import etc charges.

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

What crossover for .1 of 5.1? Carey Carlan Pro Audio 23 December 6th 07 02:22 AM
ESL crossover Manoj High End Audio 1 June 12th 04 05:49 PM
WTB: JBL DX-1 Crossover news Tech 0 February 15th 04 04:38 PM
WTB: JBL DX-1 Crossover news General 0 February 15th 04 04:37 PM
WTB: JBL DX-1 Crossover news Marketplace 0 February 15th 04 04:37 PM