Shane Metzler

Default Amp Problem!

Hey Guys,

My brother has a RF 1000bd and the amp will work fine for a few days then it
just shuts off for a few days, then it comes back on. He has tried it in 3
different cars, that had 3 different installers. Does anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks,

Shane

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:24:14 -0500, "Shane Metzler"
wrote:

Hey Guys,

My brother has a RF 1000bd and the amp will work fine for a few days then it
just shuts off for a few days, then it comes back on. He has tried it in 3
different cars, that had 3 different installers. Does anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks,

Shane

after saying you went thru 3 different installers...in 3 different
vechiles... that kinda makes this an intresting problem.

Perhaps if your using the same ground/power/rca/remote wire maybe one
of the four is faulty ???

on a day that it doesnt work... take out your head unit... and test if
there is a signal from one end to the other end of each of those
wires. Good way to check if the wires are ****ed.

If your useing the same head unit...maybe its your headunit that is
****ed...

tap into a lightbulb in the trunk or some other source OTHER then the
deck to the remote wire.... ???

or perhaps your amp is broken on the inside!

Shane Metzler

I guess I should have clarified alittle more, when I meant 3 different
cars/installers, I also meant the headunit/wires/rca's etc were
different...just the amp changed from car to car...It does this randomly and
just starts working randomly...no set time between it starting/dying...most
of the time its like 3 days or so...

Thanks,

Shane
wrote:

[...]

MZ

after saying you went thru 3 different installers...in 3 different
vechiles... that kinda makes this an intresting problem.

Not really. That's just a different way of saying he had Moe, Larry, and
Curly all look at it and they were stumped.

MZ

Are you saying I didnt have the amp professional installed?

Define professional. Just because someone works at a shop doesn't make them
a "professional".

Shane Metzler

First of all, I am not going to argue with you but,

A car audio place locally to me, that has designed several competetion
wining vechiles installed the amp for my brother. They have many years in
the industry and the work they perform is excellent. They installed the
amp, he came back a couple of times, and then they tried it in other
vechiles...The amp is going to be replaced because it is under warranty, but
I wanted to know what would cause something like this.

A Simple answer of I DON'T KNOW would have been sufficient, but you
automatically ASSumed that the installation was not done properly.

"MZ" wrote in message
Are you saying I didnt have the amp professional installed?

Define professional. Just because someone works at a shop doesn't make

them
a "professional".

Ampdoc

Bad solder connections inside the amp.

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc.

"MZ" wrote in message
Are you saying I didnt have the amp professional installed?

Define professional. Just because someone works at a shop doesn't make

them
a "professional".

MZ

First of all, I am not going to argue with you but,

Looks like you did.

A car audio place locally to me, that has designed several competetion
wining vechiles installed the amp for my brother.

Impressive.

They have many years in
the industry and the work they perform is excellent.

If it's so excellent, how come you're having trouble? How come they can't
answer your question?

They installed the
amp, he came back a couple of times, and then they tried it in other
vechiles...The amp is going to be replaced because it is under warranty,

but
I wanted to know what would cause something like this.

Bad amp, misuse, or faulty installation.

A Simple answer of I DON'T KNOW would have been sufficient, but you
automatically ASSumed that the installation was not done properly.

It's a safe assumption, and is usually the case moreso than not. This may
be surprising to a newbie.

By the way, I was kidding initially. Hence the smiley. I don't know what
crawled up your ass today...

Buckshot

Yeah no **** man, It was a joke, do you see a phycologist at all, or attend
anger management sessions? Just wondering man, look into it if you aren't...

Buckshot

MZ

If they're paid by the shop I believe they are the definition of
"professional".

For all practical purposes, this isn't necessarily true. Some places hire
any teenager off the street that knows how to work a screw gun.

EFFENDI

MZ wrote:
If they're paid by the shop I believe they are the definition of
"professional".

For all practical purposes, this isn't necessarily true. Some places hire
any teenager off the street that knows how to work a screw gun.

Most reputable shops wont take just anyone. EVEN to work at 'Worst' Buy
you have to be MECP certified.

EFFENDI

MZ

For all practical purposes, this isn't necessarily true. Some places
hire
any teenager off the street that knows how to work a screw gun.

Most reputable shops wont take just anyone. EVEN to work at 'Worst' Buy
you have to be MECP certified.

And that makes them "professional"? I think not.

Personally, if someone came on here and said "I've never installed anything
in my car before, but I'm willing to put in the time and learn along the
way.", I'd trust them to do a better job than your average "professional"
installer.

EFFENDI

Not that that makes them professional. But Professional is obviously a
bad choice of word for its extremely vague definition. Check out
definition 2a of what professional means.

here is what Merriam-Webster has to say about it:

pro·fes·sion·al
Pronunciation: pr&-'fesh-n&l, -'fe-sh&-n&l
Function: adjective
1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b : engaged in
one of the learned professions c (1) : characterized by or conforming to
the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a
courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of
endeavor often engaged in by amateurs a professional golfer b : having
a particular profession as a permanent career a professional soldier c
: engaged in by persons receiving financial return professional football
3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession a
professional patriot

pro·fes·sion
Pronunciation: pr&-'fe-sh&n
Function: noun

other definitions snipped

4 a : a calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and
intensive academic preparation b : a principal calling, vocation, or
employment c : the whole body of persons engaged in a calling
thelizman

EFFENDI wrote:
MZ wrote:

Most reputable shops wont take just anyone. EVEN to work at 'Worst' Buy
you have to be MECP certified.

I hate to bust your bubble, but when it comes to "reputable" shops, MECP
isn't even a consideration. Raw talent, proven track records, in short,
a resume is what they look for. If some kid comes in waving an MECP cert
around, he'll probably get laughed at. Chain stores look to MECP as a
trianing path to reduce their own internal expenses. I've had guys at my
shop (which was a chain store, btw) pass MECP and not know how to
install an alarm without a cheat sheet, or install a radio without a
harness.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.