Bob Marcus

"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote in message ...
"B&D" wrote in message
On 11/12/04 2:04 PM, in article , "Norman M.
Schwartz" wrote:

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Any explanations will be appreciated. - Maybe I'm just confused about
the
whole issue.

People (1) get to play with these toys free of charge, (2) pay their
bills
(wholly or in part) by their writings, and (3) attend conventions and
meetings to party around at reader's expense. Not bad at all if you can
swing it and manage a straight face.

Hey - they have the subscribers to do it. I wouldn't blast them as they
offer value to their subscribers otherwise there wouldn't be any
subscribers.

Hey - the question *is* whether or not speaker cable is better than lamp
cord. IF it is not better, they are robbing their subscribers BLIND, not by
a $14.97/year subscription, but by leading gullible readers to financially
support dealers and cable manufacturers. I believe the original poster
(sincerely ??) inquired about the basis for the entire hullabaloo if all
cable of similar gauge sounded the same, and if so, what is the basis for
the "whole issue"? Unfortunately the basis for the issue, like far too many
others, is $$$. Their *value* to subscribers might be entertainment, but
that entertainment subsides when you come to the realization that you are
contributing to their life style and wasting valuable serious listening
hours reading fantasies. And it's most unfortunate should anyone go spend
their hard earned dollars buying wire or equipment based upon writers and
editors life styles.

This assumes that Stereophile readers believe cables make a difference
because Stereophile tells them so. But it's just as likely that they
read Stereophile *because they already believe* that cables make a
difference. In which case, the magazine is giving its readers exactly
what they want.

bob
Ban

Bob Marcus wrote:
And it's most unfortunate should
anyone go spend their hard earned dollars buying wire or equipment
based upon writers and editors life styles.

This assumes that Stereophile readers believe cables make a difference
because Stereophile tells them so. But it's just as likely that they
read Stereophile *because they already believe* that cables make a
difference. In which case, the magazine is giving its readers exactly
what they want.

I think it is very unlikely that the average Joe Reader will invest into
these expensive cables. It is more like a car mag testing some exotic
Italian sports car, just for entertainment of the readers. Nobody will buy
one, even if the tester is enthusiatic about it.
And it is not only cables and other snake oil accessories, but all articles.
Every issue has to have a "breakthru" never heard before object to satisfy
the readers curiosity. Something new and better, unheard of before, so you
also buy the next issue, even if everything is just a repetition. There is
not much happening out there, but you have to deliver important news. This
"sensational" makeup is called Journalism. The mag wants to entertain and
the reader is happy.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
Nousaine

(Bob Marcus) wrote:

"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote in message
"B&D" wrote in message
On 11/12/04 2:04 PM, in article
, "Norman M.
Schwartz" wrote:

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

[...]

Well this latter point is certainly true but if the readership already believes
in magic and only uses the magazine to reinforce current held mythology then no
one would need the magazine to get a recommendation to coat their cds with
Armor All for better sound.

While I do think it's true that these books reinforce mythology I also wonder
why fair, honest reporting of the truth about sound quality is not of equal
importance.
---MIKE---

I read Stereophile just for entertainment and laughs. I find it hard to
believe that any sensible person would accept the advertisers claims
without at least a home trial. This is especially true when you take
into account the things that really make a difference - room acoustics,
speaker placement, atmospheric conditions (temperature, humidity,
pressure), and state of mind.

---MIKE---

Norman M. Schwartz

"B&D" wrote in message
On 11/13/04 1:06 PM, in article , "Norman M.
Schwartz" wrote:

People (1) get to play with these toys free of charge, (2) pay their
bills
(wholly or in part) by their writings, and (3) attend conventions and
meetings to party around at reader's expense. Not bad at all if you can
swing it and manage a straight face.

Hey - they have the subscribers to do it. I wouldn't blast them as they
offer value to their subscribers otherwise there wouldn't be any
subscribers.

Hey - the question *is* whether or not speaker cable is better than lamp
cord. IF it is not better, they are robbing their subscribers BLIND, not
by
a $14.97/year subscription, but by leading gullible readers to
financially
support dealers and cable manufacturers.

Without getting into a large philosophical argument, since 'phile and TAS
are both successful magazines - with large-ish readership. There is no
shame in #1, #2, #3 above, and if you do not agree with their reviews, and
your experience shows that you feel they are wrong, it does not diminish
their validity as a magazine that specializes in audio entertainment.
Only
failure as a magazine would do that.

Success equals ?

And if they get *all* of their cable reviews wrong, it is not a cable
review
magazine, either. Last time I checked they had music reviews, source
component reviews, speaker reviews, preamp, integrated amps, power amp
reviews, and so on. Since I purchase more in music that I do components,
music reviews mean as much to me as the other stuff (since recorded music
is
such a minefield as far as recording quality)

Like yourself I thought I could use their reviews, until a purchased many
recordings to die 4, which were stinkers. Have you found their reviews 100%
on the mark? I became unable to trust the reviews and reading fantasy is not
my cup of tea (or coffee).

And, I am assuming you are NOT a subscriber, nor do you purchase the
magazine on the newsstand - so why the heck should they take heed? You
aren't their constituency, and they aren't trying to satisfy non
subscribers. Especially ones that are conflicted about the validity of
"high
end" itself.

I like a variety of magazines, even ones that disagree with my
experiences,
why should there be such condemnation?

ARMOR-ALL.

"It is also that some subscribers take the reviews (as all reviews) with
the
grains of salt they deserve, and buy the magazine not for the occasional
cable review, but the music reviews, the writing and the reviews of the
other components.

The (I believe incorrect) assumption is that somehow the readership
endorse
and believe everything they read - I seriously doubt that. I certainly
don't believe everything I read, so why should the readers of Stereophile
or
TAS?"

What the mag, and others, sell is a culture of illusion. We can add all
but speakers to the same box as wire,,ie. they are now in the commodity
category where differences are no longer advances in sound reproduction
but merely marketing flourish. Prifits in wire are large and allow the
purchase of much ad space; which is the genesis of the illusion as
publishing/marketing merge for mutual benefit. What readers do believe is
the "I can hear it, I really really can, don't you hear it too, don't you
believe me" gospil which now sells these commidities.
Len Moskowitz

Norman M. Schwartz wrote:

Like yourself I thought I could use their reviews, until a purchased many
recordings to die 4, which were stinkers. Have you found their reviews 100%
on the mark? ...

There are some reviewers' opinions that I've come to trust, and others
I've learned to ignore.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Len Moskowitz

Farrell22 wrote:

I haven't had utter faith in audio reviewers ever since Sam Tellig raved about
one of the original Adcom power amps in the late '80s (fortunately one of the
first issues I read). "Tubelike," I believe he called it. "Earbleedingly
shrill" is how I experienced a more powerful version of the amp.

Funny... I had an Adcom 535 (still have it, now in my office system) and
it sounded pretty darned good for the price. When I tried the higher
power models in the Adcom line at that time, they didn't sound quite as
good.

Maybe Sam was right, but just about the low-powered model?

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Len Moskowitz

B&D wrote:

The (I believe incorrect) assumption is that somehow the readership endorse
and believe everything they read - I seriously doubt that. I certainly
don't believe everything I read, so why should the readers of Stereophile or
TAS?

Similarly, the Editor of Stereophile doesn't endorse everything his
writers write. It seems to me as if he's trying to leave enough room in
the magazine for opposing (perhaps even fringe) perspectives to be
aired. Makes it more entertaining, no? It almost certainly makes the
magazine appeal to a wider readership.

There's no other publication that has anything approaching John
Atkinson's reviews and their tech tests. Those alone make the magazine
a wonderful read and a subscription price bargain.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Nousaine

B&D wrote:
On 11/13/04 8:57 PM, in article
, "Bob Marcus"
wrote:

This assumes that Stereophile readers believe cables make a difference
because Stereophile tells them so. But it's just as likely that they
read Stereophile *because they already believe* that cables make a
difference. In which case, the magazine is giving its readers exactly
what they want.

It is also that some subscribers take the reviews (as all reviews) with the
grains of salt they deserve, and buy the magazine not for the occasional
cable review, but the music reviews, the writing and the reviews of the
other components.

The (I believe incorrect) assumption is that somehow the readership endorse
and believe everything they read - I seriously doubt that. I certainly
don't believe everything I read, so why should the readers of Stereophile or
TAS?

Sure, but when they endorse ideas that have never been verified such as cabling
making improvements in sound quality how can we believe anything else they say?

It's not a matter of just being mistaken. Wire sound can be verified with
simple bias-controlled tests. Indeed I've tried hard to do that myself. So when
a reviewer declares that "The Monsters were actually e bit better at the
frequency extremes than the Au24s and had slightly greater extension.....more
impact at the bottom...due to their improved precision and better pitch
definition....more vivid and electric...stellar in their speed, clarity, air
and extension at the top end...Edge, definition and detail were superb....sonic
picture a little sharper and more obvious..."

All this detail when no single person has ever demonstrated an ability to
reliably identify electrically competent wires when bias controls are
implemented. I'm wondering how you would distinguish this fanciful depiction
from any other observation in the magazine? If you're experienced enough to be
able to sort the wheat from this sort of sludge of what good is the magazine
for anything other than poetry.

I think it's sad the publication taints the useful information depicted in it
by, what seems to be pruposeful, Urban Legend promotion as opposed to a genuine
search for sound quality improvement.

But I agree it's pretty good poetry and hyperbole.

Jim Cate

Kalman Rubinson wrote:
1. The name of the publication is Stereophile, not Stereophile
Review.

2. Each review is the opinion of the writer of the review, not of the
editor. John Atkinson sets editorial policy but he does not write all
the reviews.

wrote:

You have defended Stereophile in previous discussions, and I don't
question your intellectual honesty in doing so. But think for a moment.
- Are you suggesting that John Atkinson has no responsibility for the
overall content of equipment reviews published in Stereophile, no matter
how misleading, since they represent only the opinions of the respective
writers? How absurd!

In view of trends in the audio industry in recent years as compared with
other consumer goods and hobbies, one would think that Stereophile would
consider whether in fact it might be part of the problem. In particular,
as a practical matter, I think that they could assume a greater
responsibility for educating their readers concerning the wild
assertions promulgated by some manufacturers and some audio enthusiasts,
and for guiding them in making the endless choices entailed in putting
together a good system at a rational price. Instead, Stereophile seems
only too willing to publish reviews containing even more jargon and
"black magic gobbley gook." - Reviews of cables have included statements
such as: "Break-in of this cable was simply hilarious...!" (It took
several weeks before the reviewer thought he could notice it.) Or, "This
cable has solid bass response, good high ends, and good pace." - - (Can
anyone tell me how a speaker cable affects the "pace" at which
electrical signals corresponding to recorded music are fed to the
speakers, in view of the fact that current flows through a conductor at
speeds approaching the speed of light?) Stereophile could be far more
forthcoming and forthright in providing clear guidance to their readers
with respect to choosing among the multitudes of components, to the end
of achieving "audio value," or maximizing audible results per dollar
spent. Clearly, much of their content concerns the equipment rather
than the music, so it's obviously of interest to their readers.

It's obvious that complexities are entailed, that tastes differ, and
that, particularly with respect to speakers, one should listen to the
component before making a major purchase. Realistically, however, it is
quite difficult to compare several components of interest at the same
dealer or showroom. And it would no doubt be even more difficult to find
a dealer willing to let one compare the "response" of $1,000 cables to
that of 12-gage Home Depot speaker cable or the like. (Anyone ever tried
it at a dealer?) For these and other reasons, in my opinion, Stereophile
should assume a greater responsibility to their readers for providing
clear guidance in sorting out such claims. Their relationship to their
readers is, IMO, a semi fiduciary one because of the peculiar nature of
the hobby and the industry, in which so many often expensive options
and choices are entailed.

In fairness, I do subscribe to Stereophile and I do get helpful and
interesting information from the publication.- It's an interesting read.
Further, I respect their willingness to organize and publish the
semi-annual recommended equipment ratings, despite the limitations
entailed. (For example, how does one know whether a component reviewed
six years ago and no longer included in the recommended component list
would be considered by at least some of their reviewers as having better
response at a given price range than those in the list? - If Stereophile
was really interested in serving their reader's interests, shouldn't
reviewers' opinions or suggestions along this line be included?) Also
regarding the recommended equipment lists, it seems that at least 80% of
the space devoted to descriptions of such recommended components
relates to equipment that is so expensive that it simply would never be
an option for most readers. While it may be interesting to learn about
high-end technical breakthroughs (and while I have admittedly spent some
fairly big bucks on my own system), again, if their goal is to serve the
needs of their readers, why the disparity between the amount of copy
devoted to equipment that in all likelihood will never be seriously
considered or even listened to by most readers? Why not instead include
greater emphasis on suggestions to the reader as to how to maximize
results by spending less $$$ on components that don't provide
significant audible difference and more $$$ for components that do make
a significant audible difference, in the opinion of the reviewers, or
from other test or survey results. Further, why not include combination
of Stereophile reviews organized or summarized as in Consumers Reports.
Or, why not include an occasional blind test of components of particular
categories. - Why does the subject of blind testing have to be an
"either-or" rather than a "both-and" issue? - Hey! As suggested above,
the audio industry isn't doing so well, and maybe a little
out-of-the-box thinking might help.

The bottom line, as others have suggested, is that Stereophile's
concerns seem, on balance, to be primarily directed toward keeping their
advertisers happy rather than serving the needs of their readers. If
they would include a disclaimer to that effect in each issue, I would
have greater respect for Mr. Atkinson.

Jim Cate

Bob Marcus

B&D wrote in message ...
On 11/14/04 10:51 PM, in article , "Bob Marcus"
wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote in message

While I do think it's true that these books reinforce mythology I also wonder
why fair, honest reporting of the truth about sound quality is not of equal
importance.

Because magazines have to interest readers--but they have to serve
advertisers.

Also would be a pretty boring magazine. The best stuff really doesn't
change much year to year.

This isn't peculiar to audio rags. Money management and women's books
face the same problem. How many different ways are there to tell
someone to buy an index fund or offer the same lame relationship
advice?

It is pretty clear, if you want to educate yourself about sound, you have to
go to a lot of liver performances - unamplified where you can - and listen
to a lot of recordings through a variety of setups over a period of time.
No magazine, regardless of the editorial policy, honest or otherwise, is
going to make up for that basic fact.

If you really want to educate yourself about sound, start with a
little technical background. Then you'll be able to see through a lot
of the editorial nonsense, and you'll be in a much better position to
learn from listening.

Do you personally know the difference between a Mark Levinson CD player's
sound vs. a NAD C541i? How about the resolving power of a CD played in a
Toshiba DVD player vs. an Ayre CX-7. What about a badly mastered Led
Zeppelin CD on a Sony player, and an Arcam?

No, and I doubt anyone at Stereophile really does, either, because
there's no evidence that they do valid comparisons. (And what does
"the resolving power of a CD" mean??)

bob
Bob Marcus

(Nousaine) wrote in message ...
(Bob Marcus) wrote:
(Nousaine) wrote in message

While I do think it's true that these books reinforce mythology I also

wonder
why fair, honest reporting of the truth about sound quality is not of equal
importance.

Because magazines have to interest readers--but they have to serve
advertisers.

bob

Sure; but isn't sound quality maximization a stated goal too? Do any of these
magazines say "we are just interested in maximizing the return to advertisers?"
and even then honest companies also advertise. What about them?

All magazines don't fear reporting the truth. Check out "Can You Trust Your
Ears?" and "To Tweak or not to Tweak " both in Stereo Review who, at the time,
had as much advertising as anybody in the industry.

Sure, but whose advertising? I doubt cables and tweaks played as big a
role in SR's advertising mix back then as they do in Stereophile's
now.

Magazines are a balancing act. You have to run the kind of copy that
attracts the kind of readers that your advertisers want to reach. By
the time SR ran those articles, nobody was picking up the magazine to
read about the amazing differences between components. Hirsch had
pretty much disabused them of that decades before. And advertisers
weren't expecting it to play up cables and tweaks. Any cable companies
that chose to advertise in SR did so knowing full well what the
editorial slant was. Whereas they rely on Stereophile to keep the myth
alive for their set of readers/customers, and would go absolutely
ape-**** if it ever decided to run a DBT of cables.

bob
Len Moskowitz

In article , Farrell22 wrote:

Maybe Sam was right, but just about the low-powered model?

Quite possibly. But the salesman said I *needed* the 545ii for my B&Ws, and
that it would sound the same as the 535.

So maybe Sam and Stereophile were right. Maybe the salesman was the one
to not trust?

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Wessel Dirksen

(Art Harris) wrote in message ...
Michael Dombrowski wrote:

Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
cord?

No. But the more important question is: What gauge wire should I use?

That depends largely on the length of your speaker cables. For a given
gauge, the total resistance of the wire is directly proportional to
its length. For lengths up to 10 or 15 feet, 14 gauge (AWG) should be
fine.

Art Harris

This issue seems to come back quite often and it's good to see that
there is a general tendancy to dispel fuzzy logic. Yet "lamp cord" as
I would define it is reletively high guage wire (20 tot 16 guage) with
potentially non-negligable DC resistance characteristics. So I don't
agree that is all the same in comparison to let's say 12 of 10 guage
OFC wire.

Even if we don't believe in microdiodes or "homeopathic" explanations
for mysterious reactances in cable, any measurable lowering of the
total damping factor can lead to perceptable changes in emitted sound
coming the speaker. The larger the shift the more potentially audible
it can be. Also the lower the impedance load of the driver, the more a
given increase in overall DC resistance will change damping
attributes. Obviously it depends on the amp. Tube amps with damping
factors no higher than 30 or so will be particularly susceptable to
this. Over the question of high frequency roll off, cable can make a
difference here but it is not in the frequency response of the cable
itself but in the amount of DC resistance it has. It is the (larger)
decrease in overal damping factor that can cause changes in the
bandwidth of the amplifier because the load changes, not because the
wire is not a neutral conductor. Obviously in most situations it will
be inaudible due to non-significance, but that doesn't mean it doesn't
exist.

I'm curious how others feel about a similar fenomenon with lossy
inductors in the signal path in woofers. It is my personal view that
series DC resistance in the signal path should be strategically
minimized as much as possible. The overall Q factor of the filter
doesn't have to suffer from this if you are in control of the design
process. Once again in the interest of affording the amplifier maximum
EMF control of it's load along with minimized DC loss along the way.

"It is pretty clear, if you want to educate yourself about sound, you have
go to a lot of liver performances - unamplified where you can - and listen
to a lot of recordings through a variety of setups over a period of time.
No magazine, regardless of the editorial policy, honest or otherwise, is
going to make up for that basic fact.

Do you personally know the difference between a Mark Levinson CD player's
sound vs. a NAD C541i? How about the resolving power of a CD played in a
Toshiba DVD player vs. an Ayre CX-7. What about a badly mastered Led
Zeppelin CD on a Sony player, and an Arcam?"

Live can only be a benchmark for that exact performance, even then long
term memory of the event will not serve. "Live" is rare in recordings,
most music is created in the studio from bits and pieces which are highly
modified on purpose. As to the sound of gear other then speakers, it has
yet to be clearly demonstrated to exist except as an artifact of the
perception process and is at best something to muddy recall of sound
events. Even if such gear differences did exist, one could only use them
as a benchmark if one also listened to the exact set of gear in the exact
listening space as does the reviewer.

Nousaine

B&D wrote:

On 11/14/04 10:51 PM, in article
, "Bob Marcus"
wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote in message

[...]

I've owned and used dozens of cd playback devices; and I've been a subject in
and also performed a few bias controlled listening tests of same; and so far
I've not found any individual who has demonstrated an ability to reliably
identify cd players with ONE excpetion. In that case one listener was able to
distinguish a prototype Phillips 14-bit CD Player from a later Sony. So do I
'personally know the difference'? Nope and I don't believe anyone else does
either.
John Atkinson

(Len Moskowitz) wrote in message
Farrell22 wrote:
I haven't had utter faith in audio reviewers ever since Sam Tellig
raved about one of the original Adcom power amps in the late '80s

As far as I am aware, the Stereophile reviewer who recommended the
GFA-555 so highly was actually Antony H. Cordesman, in April 1985
see
http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/678/, which has
follow-up comments from J. Gordon Holt, Guy Lemcoe, and myself.

Funny... I had an Adcom 535 (still have it, now in my office system)
and it sounded pretty darned good for the price. When I tried the
higher power models in the Adcom line at that time, they didn't
sound quite as good.

Maybe Sam was right, but just about the low-powered model?

Again, as I remember it, the GFA-535 was a Sam Tellig favorite.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
Stewart Pinkerton

On 17 Nov 2004 00:42:35 GMT, (Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

(Art Harris) wrote in message ...
Michael Dombrowski wrote:

Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
cord?

No. But the more important question is: What gauge wire should I use?

That depends largely on the length of your speaker cables. For a given
gauge, the total resistance of the wire is directly proportional to
its length. For lengths up to 10 or 15 feet, 14 gauge (AWG) should be
fine.

Art Harris

This issue seems to come back quite often and it's good to see that
there is a general tendancy to dispel fuzzy logic. Yet "lamp cord" as
I would define it is reletively high guage wire (20 tot 16 guage) with
potentially non-negligable DC resistance characteristics. So I don't
agree that is all the same in comparison to let's say 12 of 10 guage
OFC wire.

Neither does anyone else, if you took the trouble to notice that the
above comments *specifically* stated 'same gauge'.

I'm curious how others feel about a similar fenomenon with lossy
inductors in the signal path in woofers. It is my personal view that
series DC resistance in the signal path should be strategically
minimized as much as possible. The overall Q factor of the filter
doesn't have to suffer from this if you are in control of the design
process. Once again in the interest of affording the amplifier maximum
EMF control of it's load along with minimized DC loss along the way.

It is my personal view that speaker designers in the major companies
know what they're doing. If a loddy inductor is used, then that is
factored into the overall voicing of the speaker. None of these
parasitic resistances bear any comparison to the resistance of the
voice coil. Please note also that over the vast majority of its
working range, a loudspeaker is mass/compliance controlled, and
electrical 'damping' is not a factor. Basically, keep the loop
resistance of the wire below a twentieth of the speaker nominal
impedance, and you won't have a problem. Just as an illustration,
that's twenty five feet of 16 AWG for a four ohm load. We audiophile
types do tend to overkill on this matter of speaker wire resistance!

Nousaine

(Bob Marcus) wrote:
(Nousaine) wrote in message
(Bob Marcus) wrote:
(Nousaine) wrote in message

[...]

I agree with everything you've said but I'm still wondering about the role of
honest reporting as a function of the business and the nursing and promotion of
mythology for the purpose of .courting advertisers.

I don't decry a magazine for running breast and penis enlargement ads; but I
might be upset if one of them provided testimonials and positive reviews of the
products when they haven't been actually shown to work as advertised.
Wessel Dirksen

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message ...
On 17 Nov 2004 00:42:35 GMT, (Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

This issue seems to come back quite often and it's good to see that
there is a general tendancy to dispel fuzzy logic. Yet "lamp cord" as
I would define it is reletively high guage wire (20 tot 16 guage) with
potentially non-negligable DC resistance characteristics. So I don't
agree that is all the same in comparison to let's say 12 of 10 guage
OFC wire.

Neither does anyone else, if you took the trouble to notice that the
above comments *specifically* stated 'same gauge'.

My input was meant to be general and not a specific reply to the
above. I noticed that virtualy all of the strings seemed to omit the
DC resistance issue which is a factual matter and not a matter of
hype; whether its significant or not.

I'm curious how others feel about a similar fenomenon with lossy
inductors in the signal path in woofers. It is my personal view that
series DC resistance in the signal path should be strategically
minimized as much as possible. The overall Q factor of the filter
doesn't have to suffer from this if you are in control of the design
process. Once again in the interest of affording the amplifier maximum
EMF control of it's load along with minimized DC loss along the way.

It is my personal view that speaker designers in the major companies
know what they're doing. If a loddy inductor is used, then that is
factored into the overall voicing of the speaker.

Agreed, this is a question of good engineering. But the choice of
inductors in a production loudspeaker is ussually not based on optimal
performance, but on minimizing the negative affects of compromise.
This is act of life due to aggressive cost budgets to which all
loudspeaker engineers must adhere in a production setting. (exotica
excepted) Low Rdc inductors are expensive, and as you state below, is
not a bad strategic area to save some money. But that doesn't mean
that lowering series DC resistance to woofers is theoreticaly not
audible or desirable.

None of these
parasitic resistances bear any comparison to the resistance of the
voice coil.

If "lampcord" and inductors add 0.5 ohm of DC resistance, but very
often even more than this, than this constitutes almost 10% increase
of a standard driver Rdc of 5.2 to 5.7 ohm. This is audible in most SS
amplifiers, although subtle. It is enough to possibly make more than 1
db SPL changes in a majority of tube amplifiers. This doesn't cover 4
ohm drivers which typically have Rdc values of 3.9 ohm or so making
the phenominon more distinctive.

Please note also that over the vast majority of its
working range, a loudspeaker is mass/compliance controlled, and
electrical 'damping' is not a factor.

Agreed to a point. Bass is where this really becomes a common factor
to contend with for all amps. Tweeters /midranges often have resistors
in series. But I personally like my bass tight and find it reason
enough to pay attention to this. Also, with tube amps, the entire
frequency spectrum can be affected. If a SS amp with a damping factor
of 400 gets 0.5ohm between output and voicecoil it will be subtle. A
tube amp with a damping factor of 30 can easily have measurable SPL
variances especially at the low end.

Basically, keep the loop
resistance of the wire below a twentieth of the speaker nominal
impedance, and you won't have a problem. Just as an illustration,
that's twenty five feet of 16 AWG for a four ohm load. We audiophile
types do tend to overkill on this matter of speaker wire resistance!

True, but those typical cheap inductors add 5 times as much "wire" to
the signal path as your 25 feet of 16AWG. Together, I'm not so sure
its harmless anymore.
Bob Marcus

B&D wrote in message ...
On 11/16/04 7:39 PM, in article , "Bob Marcus"
wrote:

Do you personally know the difference between a Mark Levinson CD player's
sound vs. a NAD C541i? How about the resolving power of a CD played in a
Toshiba DVD player vs. an Ayre CX-7. What about a badly mastered Led
Zeppelin CD on a Sony player, and an Arcam?

No, and I doubt anyone at Stereophile really does, either, because
there's no evidence that they do valid comparisons. (And what does
"the resolving power of a CD" mean??)

Sorry - meant to say "the resolving power of a CD Player with a CD
played..." - my bad.

OK, so tell us what you mean by "the resolving power of a CD Player."
It sounds suspiciously like pseudo-technical jargon. Resolution is a
technical term, and every CD player has the same resolution, doesn't
it?

Sure - that is exactly my point - I know of all of those things due to my
pursuit of good sound, and I would not have been even introduced to it if I
had been limited to reading it in a book or magazine.

Not sure what you mean by "valid comparison"

If you have to ask, it's safe to assume you didn't do any, either. So
no, you don't know any of those things. You only think you do.

By valid comparison, I mean the usual: side-by-side, blind or double
blind, and level-matched. Anything else, and you're comparing
pricetags, not sound. Or, to be precise, you don't know whether you're
comparing sound or pricetags (or looks, or company reputation, or...)

bob
Stewart Pinkerton

On 19 Nov 2004 00:44:59 GMT, (Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message ...
On 17 Nov 2004 00:42:35 GMT,
(Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

This issue seems to come back quite often and it's good to see that
there is a general tendancy to dispel fuzzy logic. Yet "lamp cord" as
I would define it is reletively high guage wire (20 tot 16 guage) with
potentially non-negligable DC resistance characteristics. So I don't
agree that is all the same in comparison to let's say 12 of 10 guage
OFC wire.

Neither does anyone else, if you took the trouble to notice that the
above comments *specifically* stated 'same gauge'.

My input was meant to be general and not a specific reply to the
above. I noticed that virtualy all of the strings seemed to omit the
DC resistance issue which is a factual matter and not a matter of
hype; whether its significant or not.

Untrue - almost all cable discussions mention loop resistance at some
point, and any DBT discussion always mentions level-matching, and the
fact that there's no merit in comparing cables with massively
different RLC parameters.

I'm curious how others feel about a similar fenomenon with lossy
inductors in the signal path in woofers. It is my personal view that
series DC resistance in the signal path should be strategically
minimized as much as possible. The overall Q factor of the filter
doesn't have to suffer from this if you are in control of the design
process. Once again in the interest of affording the amplifier maximum
EMF control of it's load along with minimized DC loss along the way.

It is my personal view that speaker designers in the major companies
know what they're doing. If a lossy inductor is used, then that is
factored into the overall voicing of the speaker.

Agreed, this is a question of good engineering. But the choice of
inductors in a production loudspeaker is ussually not based on optimal
performance, but on minimizing the negative affects of compromise.
This is act of life due to aggressive cost budgets to which all
loudspeaker engineers must adhere in a production setting. (exotica
excepted) Low Rdc inductors are expensive, and as you state below, is
not a bad strategic area to save some money. But that doesn't mean
that lowering series DC resistance to woofers is theoreticaly not
audible or desirable.

Sez who? Have you ever done a listening comparison?

None of these
parasitic resistances bear any comparison to the resistance of the
voice coil.

If "lampcord" and inductors add 0.5 ohm of DC resistance, but very
often even more than this, than this constitutes almost 10% increase
of a standard driver Rdc of 5.2 to 5.7 ohm. This is audible in most SS
amplifiers, although subtle. It is enough to possibly make more than 1
db SPL changes in a majority of tube amplifiers. This doesn't cover 4
ohm drivers which typically have Rdc values of 3.9 ohm or so making
the phenominon more distinctive.

Agreed that it may reduce the sensitivity of the speaker by a dB or
so. Just add more power - not an issue for a real amp, i.e. SS.

Please note also that over the vast majority of its
working range, a loudspeaker is mass/compliance controlled, and
electrical 'damping' is not a factor.

Agreed to a point. Bass is where this really becomes a common factor
to contend with for all amps. Tweeters /midranges often have resistors
in series. But I personally like my bass tight and find it reason
enough to pay attention to this.

If you like your bass 'tight', then get a system with a Qts of less
than 0.7. Agonising about inductor resistance won't make any
difference.

Also, with tube amps, the entire
frequency spectrum can be affected. If a SS amp with a damping factor
of 400 gets 0.5ohm between output and voicecoil it will be subtle. A
tube amp with a damping factor of 30 can easily have measurable SPL
variances especially at the low end.

This is utter nonsense! The effect of parasitic resistance in a series
inductor will if anything be *worse* for an amp with low output
resistance, and the whole point of an inductor is that its impedance
rises with frequency, so it's clearly rubbish to suggest that its
series resistance will have any effect outside the bass range.
Certainly, any FR differences caused by the high output resistance of
say a SET amp will be the same as they would be had the speaker been
otherwise designed, because the speaker will have been 'voiced' for
whatever crossover components are used.

Basically, keep the loop
resistance of the wire below a twentieth of the speaker nominal
impedance, and you won't have a problem. Just as an illustration,
that's twenty five feet of 16 AWG for a four ohm load. We audiophile
types do tend to overkill on this matter of speaker wire resistance!

True, but those typical cheap inductors add 5 times as much "wire" to
the signal path as your 25 feet of 16AWG. Together, I'm not so sure
its harmless anymore.

As noted above, I suspect that the speaker designer knows more about
this than either of us. If that kind of thing bothers you, then use
active speakers, where the amps are directly connected to the drivers,
or choose one of the two-way designs which has no crossover components
connected to the bass/mid driver.

goFab.com

On 7 Nov 2004 21:39:52 GMT, in article , Nousaine
stated:

"goFab.com" wrote:

On 29 Oct 2004 23:06:49 GMT, in article ,
Michael
Dombrowski stated:

Hello All,
Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
standard wire.

Mike

It's not, but lamp cord is really ugly, and some speaker cable looks really
cool!

If it makes u feel better and it appeals to your sense of aesthetics, by all
means buy some expensive cable. There is not likely to be any audible
difference.

In my opinion most zip cord is much superior to most high-end wire in
aesthetics because it has an easily identifiable polarity construction, it
usually has enough strands to be quite flexible, it has a small jacket that is
easier to make less visually apparent and you can buy some real "art", such as
the kind you hang on the wall or some that is called recorded or live music,
with the difference in price.

For example I have used clear jacket 14 gauge zip cord with a copper and a
silver interlaced copper conductors, a nice bendable feel along with Pamona
dual banana plugs which sounded exactly like a set of Tara Labs RSC 8-foot
cables that had a MSRP of $990.

The difference in cost covers my current year price for 2 tickets (Row H seats
11, 13 ) of a 7 concert series of Saturday evening performances of the DSO at
Orchestra Hall in Detroit with $279 left over for dinner and/or hotel.

IMO the cost difference completely covers the increase in art available to me
by using zip cord (in this case I bought a hundred feet for $18.)

It is true that I'm mixing prices from the mid-90s when I bought the zip cord
and tested the high-end cable (which was loaned to me) and the price of my
current Concert series but I'm thinking the concept is clearly apparent.

BTW I think the zip cord is aesthetically equal, and often superior, to any
high-end cable I've ever used or seen.

You have a point.

And there's an in-between. If you feel the need to have something purpose-made
for audio, there are excellent companies that have more moderately priced stuff
that has the high end "look and feel" to it. Pure Note and Cobalt come to mind.

Nousaine

"goFab.com" wrote:

On 7 Nov 2004 21:39:52 GMT, in article ,
Nousaine
stated:

....snip to content....

BTW I think the zip cord is aesthetically equal, and often superior, to any
high-end cable I've ever used or seen.

You have a point.

And there's an in-between. If you feel the need to have something
purpose-made
for audio, there are excellent companies that have more moderately priced
stuff
that has the high end "look and feel" to it. Pure Note and Cobalt come to
mind.

Sure that's a consideration. But I think that one is primarily aesthetic as
well because no audio "wire" compnay of which I'm aware actually makes wire, as
in drawing copper. So wire that is "purpose" made for audio is simply a
function of branding.

For example when I mentioned the Tara Labs "RSC" (rectangular solid core)
speaker wire it is intended to imply a speciallt made wire that is 'purpose
built' for audio applications, when in fact its just the same flat wire that is
used for winding automobile starters. The only parts that are specifically
'audio' in nature are the translucent jacket that says Tara Labs on it and the
really shoddy connectors (plug petals that had to be re-spread with a flat
blade screwdriver on EVERY reconnection.

But sure, when I person feels better using a branded product then why not!! If
that's the case I'd be careful to select the product carefully. I've seen some
'purpose-built' audio cabling products that the term purpose-built seems to
mean poor quality and hard to use :-)
Wessel Dirksen

(Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

[...]

Hi Stewart,

The whole DC resistance thing is important to me and that's what's
fueling my input here. So this reply is about DC resistance in general
as it applies to loudspeaker performance, whether from cable or
inductors. So please consider this a departure from the above. As
such, I appreciate the discussion on this.

[...]

Well, sez me I guess.

As I have brought in before here, I do loudspeaker modification and
design professionally, and for quite some time now and have seen and
modded filters of many loudspeakers. So FWIW, my input is based on
personal experience which I will carefully dare to call expertise not
just conjecture. All along the way I listen and compare all the time
very often with a someone next to me so I'm not listening alone. Even
though it only affects a small part of the overall performance of the
entire design, I have discovered that reduction of this DC resistance
thing is easily the most repeatable noticeable improvement you can
make to a standard production loudspeaker with lossy inductors. So
this is a petpeev issue with me especially since this seems to be
downplayed or held silent by the bulk of this expert group now and the
last time this came up. This is a last stab at throwing this out there
for scrutiny. I am curious to know why there is a tendancy to
underestimate/disbelieve this issue while experience has shown me that
there is almost nothing else more predictable as a focus for
improvement. Heck, maybe I'll learn more about loudspeakers and people
while I'm at it.

This is what I have been doing on a regular basis: I've been almost
exclusively using German Intertechik HQ-80 inductors (large, very
densely compressed ferrite powder inductors) for about 10 years since
they have been on the market. They allow air core quality at normal
power levels for living rooms often less than 10% of original series
resistance. (ex. 1.5mH has 1.6mm diameter copper wire, Rdc=0.07ohm) If
you doing nothing else besides this swapping the series woofer
inductor(s), but make small value adjustments in the rest of the
filter to restore original filter response, the difference in bass
definition is astounding. The sole negative factor that seems to
infrequently pop up with such projects is a less stable image. This is
however greatly dependant on the amplifier and filter topology. Also,
if this occurs, it is usually fixable and change is warranted since
this indicates an overall vulnerable filter design.

[...]

Improving speakers is only sometimes agonizing, yet in the end always
fun.

But I'm glad you brought this up for 2 reasons. One change that can
occur with lowering of overall Rdc is lowering of Qe and thus overall
Q of the woofer. Depending on the amount of resistance recovered, this
is usually measurable yet negligible. Yet lowering of overall Q will
in theory improve transient response.

Second, many assume based on the calculated impulse response for the
well known transfer functions that there would have to be an obvious
audible difference in the subjective "tightness" of bass between let's
say a Qtc of 1.0 and 0.71 in sealed cabinet designs. Yet as it turns
out, listeners find the wider –3db bandwidth in higher Qtc speakers
subjectively discernable as "lower bass" but not necessarily "looser
bass". I do realize however that the occaisional subjective impression
of "more bass" can come from a looser impulse response. These kind of
controlled alignment comparisons within a limited range are common in
the R&D process for a production product when deciding on final design
so it happens all the time. Yet it seems such alignment comparisons
never seem to be as pronounced as the subjective "loosening" of the
low bass when adding a 0.5 or higher resistor in series with the
woofer with thereby only a slight increase in overall Qtc.

Also, with tube amps, the entire
frequency spectrum can be affected. If a SS amp with a damping factor
of 400 gets 0.5ohm between output and voicecoil it will be subtle. A
tube amp with a damping factor of 30 can easily have measurable SPL
variances especially at the low end.

This is utter nonsense! The effect of parasitic resistance in a series
inductor will if anything be *worse* for an amp with low output
resistance, and the whole point of an inductor is that its impedance
rises with frequency, so it's clearly rubbish to suggest that its
series resistance will have any effect outside the bass range.
Certainly, any FR differences caused by the high output resistance of
say a SET amp will be the same as they would be had the speaker been
otherwise designed, because the speaker will have been 'voiced' for
whatever crossover components are used.

Whoa, I'd watch it with the superlatives but it's obvious you don't
agree. Also, it is primarily the bass range that I'm referring to
here. Just for the sake of definition, the FR of any amplifier is
defined by both it's own design (something I know nothing about) and
the load connected to it. The latter is out of the amplifiers direct
control. If you wanted to get devious, you could probably screw up the
FR of even the most stable and neutral SS amplifier if you know what
you're doing just by giving it a strategically sadistic load. Tube
amps are more sensitive and thus often slightly differ in FR from
speaker to speaker which nearly always have wacky loads. Therefore
there is no guarantee the "voice" of the filter design will be able to
speak neutrally if the input impedance of the speaker is such that the
amp cannot drive it neutrally. This is subtle if not negligable but
nonetheless a fact of life for many tube amps.

Basically, keep the loop
resistance of the wire below a twentieth of the speaker nominal
impedance, and you won't have a problem. Just as an illustration,
that's twenty five feet of 16 AWG for a four ohm load. We audiophile
types do tend to overkill on this matter of speaker wire resistance!

True, but those typical cheap inductors add 5 times as much "wire" to
the signal path as your 25 feet of 16AWG. Together, I'm not so sure
its harmless anymore.

As noted above, I suspect that the speaker designer knows more about
this than either of us. If that kind of thing bothers you, then use
active speakers, where the amps are directly connected to the drivers,
or choose one of the two-way designs which has no crossover components
connected to the bass/mid driver.

Now this is interesting if I may. Intelligent consumers are usually
critical and hopeful they make the best buying decisions and may feel
proud of some possessions enough to feel fond of them. Heck all the
cars I have owned have had a name. But few question that
unpleasantries lie waiting such as planned obsolescence, and quality
compromise vs. cost. Of course there is a difference between function
and performance. A gadget may be price-performance designed and
marketed for longevity, performance or usually a planned mix of both
in a certain proportion. But most agree you usually can't get both for
the price of one. So if we can accept that our toaster has economic
design limitations, why is there a general tendancy to accept the idea
that a loudspeaker design has been designed to a holy grail standard.
B&W is a good case in point, they are very good at engineering a solid
performing package together at a good price point, but only relatively
recently have they been truly able to deliver +/- non-compromise
ideology type designs. So outside of these models, you can usually
easily improve the performance of virtually any B&W, not because the
design is inferior, but because you can go after the areas they had to
skimp on. Incidentally, lower DC resistance inductors are being more
and more implemented through the years as technology and production
methods get better and cheaper. Along with it, the average hi-fi
speaker is much better out of the box than 10 years ago at the same
price point.

To illustrate from a trusted source, I'm wondering if Dick Pierce is
listening and can share light if he has ever seen the inside of a
production loudspeaker which he couldn't easily improve. I doubt are
many if any at all.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 24 Nov 2004 04:31:07 GMT, (Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

(about reducing DC resistance in speaker crossover chokes)

Even
though it only affects a small part of the overall performance of the
entire design, I have discovered that reduction of this DC resistance
thing is easily the most repeatable noticeable improvement you can
make to a standard production loudspeaker with lossy inductors. So
this is a petpeev issue with me especially since this seems to be
downplayed or held silent by the bulk of this expert group now and the
last time this came up.

Ever consider why this might be? :-)

This is a last stab at throwing this out there
for scrutiny. I am curious to know why there is a tendancy to
underestimate/disbelieve this issue while experience has shown me that
there is almost nothing else more predictable as a focus for
improvement. Heck, maybe I'll learn more about loudspeakers and people
while I'm at it.

Maybe it's because when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks
like a nail to you?

This is what I have been doing on a regular basis: I've been almost
exclusively using German Intertechik HQ-80 inductors (large, very
densely compressed ferrite powder inductors) for about 10 years since
they have been on the market. They allow air core quality at normal
power levels for living rooms often less than 10% of original series
resistance. (ex. 1.5mH has 1.6mm diameter copper wire, Rdc=0.07ohm) If
you doing nothing else besides this swapping the series woofer
inductor(s), but make small value adjustments in the rest of the
filter to restore original filter response, the difference in bass
definition is astounding.

I don't find it at all astounding that lowering the Qts of a speaker
will result in audible 'tightening' of the bass, and a resulting
increase in perceived clarity. You can of course achieve the same
result by altering the driver, so one must presume that the designer
deliberately aimed for a higher Qts, even if that doesn't agree with
*your* preference.

The sole negative factor that seems to
infrequently pop up with such projects is a less stable image. This is
however greatly dependant on the amplifier and filter topology. Also,
if this occurs, it is usually fixable and change is warranted since
this indicates an overall vulnerable filter design.

Does it? Perhaps only to you.

[...]

And in theory will reduce bass extension. System Qts is a classic
design compromise, and is one of the first parameters to be specified.

Second, many assume based on the calculated impulse response for the
well known transfer functions that there would have to be an obvious
audible difference in the subjective "tightness" of bass between let's
say a Qtc of 1.0 and 0.71 in sealed cabinet designs. Yet as it turns
out, listeners find the wider –3db bandwidth in higher Qtc speakers
subjectively discernable as "lower bass" but not necessarily "looser
bass". I do realize however that the occaisional subjective impression
of "more bass" can come from a looser impulse response. These kind of
controlled alignment comparisons within a limited range are common in
the R&D process for a production product when deciding on final design
so it happens all the time.

Exactly!

Yet it seems such alignment comparisons
never seem to be as pronounced as the subjective "loosening" of the
low bass when adding a 0.5 or higher resistor in series with the
woofer with thereby only a slight increase in overall Qtc.

We have established your preference for 'tight' bass, but this says
nothing about any other effects of reducing the DC resistance of the
crossover choke(s), and you can achieve the same effect by using a
larger cabinet (you'll get deeper bass that way, too!).

Just for the sake of definition, the FR of any amplifier is
defined by both it's own design (something I know nothing about) and
the load connected to it. The latter is out of the amplifiers direct
control. If you wanted to get devious, you could probably screw up the
FR of even the most stable and neutral SS amplifier if you know what
you're doing just by giving it a strategically sadistic load.

Not if it's properly designed to be unconcitionally stable, you can't.
Besides, IME this claimed effect simply doesn't exist. My own amps
certainly have the same FR into a low impedance or capacitive load as
they do into a high impedance speaker, and they go flat down to a
couple of Hz into *any* load. This is basically a nonsense claim.

Tube
amps are more sensitive and thus often slightly differ in FR from
speaker to speaker which nearly always have wacky loads. Therefore
there is no guarantee the "voice" of the filter design will be able to
speak neutrally if the input impedance of the speaker is such that the
amp cannot drive it neutrally. This is subtle if not negligable but
nonetheless a fact of life for many tube amps.

First rule of high fidelity reproduction - don't use a tube amp! :-)

A gadget may be price-performance designed and
marketed for longevity, performance or usually a planned mix of both
in a certain proportion. But most agree you usually can't get both for
the price of one. So if we can accept that our toaster has economic
design limitations, why is there a general tendancy to accept the idea
that a loudspeaker design has been designed to a holy grail standard.

Who said that there is? Not me, I simply said that a good speaker
designer will have achieved the best compromise at his price and size
point.

B&W is a good case in point, they are very good at engineering a solid
performing package together at a good price point, but only relatively
recently have they been truly able to deliver +/- non-compromise
ideology type designs. So outside of these models, you can usually
easily improve the performance of virtually any B&W, not because the
design is inferior, but because you can go after the areas they had to
skimp on.

But not without screwing with the other design compromises which were
made to achieve the standard product. You'd likely achieve better
results by modifying the cabinet, but even there, the speaker is
voiced as a whole, and you could induce a lower midrange suckout. That
*you* have a preference for lower Qts doesn't actually make the
speaker 'better' in any absolute sense when you've put in a a vastly
more expensive inductor.

Incidentally, lower DC resistance inductors are being more
and more implemented through the years as technology and production
methods get better and cheaper.

Er, the technology of the air-cored inductor hasn't actually changed
in the last century, and isn't likely to in the next. And we've had
winding machines for almost as long.

Along with it, the average hi-fi
speaker is much better out of the box than 10 years ago at the same
price point.

Indeed so, but the speaker designer would almost certainly achieve
much better results by paying attention to other areas of cost
compromise in the design, such as the cabinet construction.

To illustrate from a trusted source, I'm wondering if Dick Pierce is
listening and can share light if he has ever seen the inside of a
production loudspeaker which he couldn't easily improve. I doubt are
many if any at all.

I doubt he'd start by making the low-pass filter five times more
expensive! And most designers *much* prefer to use air-cored inductors
if they possibly can.