Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

Default Favorite Maggies?

Any favs?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 6 Sep, 15:26, Jenn wrote:
Any favs?

Maggie May
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
Jenn wrote:

Any favs?

The MG 12/QR seems a good value. I picked used Quads over 1.6s a while
back, but I might make a different choice today spending less on the new
model.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 15:26, Jenn wrote:
Any favs?

Maggie May

She'll never walk down Lime Street anymore

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Sep 6, 12:26�pm, Jenn wrote:
Any favs?

They have a new model coming out that hangs on the wall and swivels on
a bracket for toeing in. They're only $1995 a pair. I have to admit
that these are my favorite Maggies and that they are an incredible
value.

I like 1.6s and 3.6s as well, but I'm not crazy about the fact that
they need about 200wpc to reach their potential.

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Sep 6, 3:15�pm, Vinylanach wrote:
On Sep 6, 12:26 pm, Jenn wrote:

Any favs?

They have a new model coming out that hangs on the wall and swivels on
a bracket for toeing in. �They're only $1995 a pair. �I have to admit
that these are my favorite Maggies and that they are an incredible
value.

I like 1.6s and 3.6s as well, but I'm not crazy about the fact that
they need about 200wpc to reach their potential.

Boon

Here they a

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MC1

The MC1s. They're meant to be used for home theater but they make a
good two-channel speakers as well. I also heard them in a two-pair
arrangement that was very dynamic, with surprisingly deep bass.
They're the only wall speakers I've heard that create believable
soundstage depth.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Sep 6, 12:26 pm, Jenn wrote:

Any favs?

They have a new model coming out that hangs on the wall and swivels on
a bracket for toeing in. They're only $1995 a pair. I have to admit
that these are my favorite Maggies and that they are an incredible
value.

I like 1.6s and 3.6s as well, but I'm not crazy about the fact that
they need about 200wpc to reach their potential.

Boon

Here they a

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MC1

The MC1s. �They're meant to be used for home theater but they make a
good two-channel speakers as well. �I also heard them in a two-pair
arrangement that was very dynamic, with surprisingly deep bass.
They're the only wall speakers I've heard that create believable
soundstage depth.

Boon

Oh, and I did hear them with a dedicated subwoofer, which was quite
affordable as well. Otherwise they only go down to about 80Hz.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
Any favs?

I know Maggies are good, but you ought to at least audition some Thiels.
They are phase coherent, 1st order crossover, metal drivers, sharing a lot
of virtue with Maggies. And they go down deep.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Thanks, I've heard them and really like them. For for cone speakers,
I'm pretty happy with the Vandersteens. I'm thinking of picking up a
used pair of planars for variety. I LOVED the Martin-Logan Sequel IIs
that I used to have. Hybrid, in this case.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] suckerton2@gmx.us is offline

I avidly dislike dipoles of either gender (magnetic or
electrostatic.)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

*"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
Any favs?

I know Maggies are good, but you ought to at least audition some Thiels..
They are phase coherent, 1st order crossover, metal drivers, sharing a lot
of virtue with Maggies. And they go down deep.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Thanks, I've heard them and really like them. *For for cone speakers,
I'm pretty happy with the Vandersteens. *I'm thinking of picking up a
used pair of planars for variety. *I LOVED the Martin-Logan Sequel IIs
that I used to have. *Hybrid, in this case.

well, if you are not going to go hybrid, I hope you have the space.
and I hope you have the power, they are power suckers,'and I hope you
have no cats.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

*"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
Any favs?

I know Maggies are good, but you ought to at least audition some Thiels.
They are phase coherent, 1st order crossover, metal drivers, sharing a lot
of virtue with Maggies. And they go down deep.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Thanks, I've heard them and really like them. *For for cone speakers,
I'm pretty happy with the Vandersteens. *I'm thinking of picking up a
used pair of planars for variety. *I LOVED the Martin-Logan Sequel IIs
that I used to have. *Hybrid, in this case.

well, if you are not going to go hybrid, I hope you have the space.
and I hope you have the power, they are power suckers,'and I hope you
have no cats.

No cats, but a little iffy on the others. Anyway, I'm just kind of
starting my investigation. I'm sort of daydreaming and thinking though
what might be possible.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Sep 7, 10:12�am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
�Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

�"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

What kind of amps are you using?

A lot of new Magnepan owners are often disgusted when they get their
speakers home and hear them for the first time with only 100-150 wpc.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article
,
Vinylanach wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:12?am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
?Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

?"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Rotel RB-1070. 130X2
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

*"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
Any favs?

I know Maggies are good, but you ought to at least audition some Thiels.
They are phase coherent, 1st order crossover, metal drivers, sharing a lot
of virtue with Maggies. And they go down deep.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Thanks, I've heard them and really like them. *For for cone speakers,
I'm pretty happy with the Vandersteens. *I'm thinking of picking up a
used pair of planars for variety. *I LOVED the Martin-Logan Sequel IIs
that I used to have. *Hybrid, in this case.

well, if you are not going to go hybrid, I hope you have the space.
and I hope you have the power, they are power suckers,'and I hope you
have no cats.

Vandersteen socks aren't safe from cats either!

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article ,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

*"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

lol That's one reason we have a dog... the wonderful Leonard Bernstein
Martin Irving! (Lenny to his friends)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, you stole my cats name (Lenard Bernstein Lavo) .... Lenny!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

;-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 7 Sep, 15:38, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article
,
*Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

*"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
Any favs?

I know Maggies are good, but you ought to at least audition some Thiels.
They are phase coherent, 1st order crossover, metal drivers, sharing a lot
of virtue with Maggies. And they go down deep.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Thanks, I've heard them and really like them. *For for cone speakers,
I'm pretty happy with the Vandersteens. *I'm thinking of picking up a
used pair of planars for variety. *I LOVED the Martin-Logan Sequel IIs
that I used to have. *Hybrid, in this case.

well, if you are not going to go hybrid, I hope you have the space.
and I hope you have the power, they are power suckers,'and I hope you
have no cats.

Vandersteen socks aren't safe from cats either!

all they ruin are the socks
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Sep 7, 12:36�pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

�Vinylanach wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:12?am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
?Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

?"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm...I would definitely audition any Maggies with your amp first.
They might be on the cusp.

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article
,
Vinylanach wrote:

On Sep 7, 12:36?pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

?Vinylanach wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:12?am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
?Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

?"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Sep 7, 4:08�pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

�Vinylanach wrote:
On Sep 7, 12:36?pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

?Vinylanach wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:12?am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
?Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

?"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

If you want a little tip...Devore Fidelity. I used the Super 8s for a
year, and now own the Nines. I'd rather own them than any Maggie,
Thiel or Martin-Logan right now.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article
,
Vinylanach wrote:

On Sep 7, 4:08?pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

?Vinylanach wrote:
On Sep 7, 12:36?pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

?Vinylanach wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:12?am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
?Clyde Slick wrote:

On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

?"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
..
.
[...]

Thanks, I've heard of them from Stereophile, but have not heard them.
Probably out of my price range. I'm looking for used stuff, basically.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

I had a friend who built a pair of electrostats. They worked fine until
his wife got a cat. The cat tore them to bits. He had the cat declawed and
neutered. Wifey got upset and cut him off.

The moral? Uh, I'm not sure. But I'm sticking with my 604's...with
grills.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
Jenn wrote:

If you want a little tip...Devore Fidelity. I used the Super 8s for a
year, and now own the Nines. I'd rather own them than any Maggie,
Thiel or Martin-Logan right now.

Thanks, I've heard of them from Stereophile, but have not heard them.
Probably out of my price range. I'm looking for used stuff, basically.

The website slogan of "nothing brings you closer to the music..." is
unintentionally hilarious.

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Sep 8, 4:42�am, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article ,

�Jenn wrote:
If you want a little tip...Devore Fidelity. �I used the Super 8s for a
year, and now own the Nines. �I'd rather own them than any Maggie,
Thiel or Martin-Logan right now.

Thanks, I've heard of them from Stereophile, but have not heard them. �
Probably out of my price range. �I'm looking for used stuff, basically.

The website slogan of "nothing brings you closer to the music..." is
unintentionally hilarious.

Too bad. John DeVore is a really nice guy and deserves to make it
big. Friggin' ad agencies.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
JimC JimC is offline

Clyde Slick wrote:
On 6 Sep, 19:17, Jenn wrote:

In article ,

"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
Any favs?

I know Maggies are good, but you ought to at least audition some Thiels.
They are phase coherent, 1st order crossover, metal drivers, sharing a lot
of virtue with Maggies. And they go down deep.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Thanks, I've heard them and really like them. For for cone speakers,
I'm pretty happy with the Vandersteens. I'm thinking of picking up a
used pair of planars for variety. I LOVED the Martin-Logan Sequel IIs
that I used to have. Hybrid, in this case.

well, if you are not going to go hybrid, I hope you have the space.
and I hope you have the power, they are power suckers,'and I hope you
have no cats.

I suggest that anyone considering Maggies arrange to listen to the
3.6/R's for 30 to 40 minutes or more, using a variety of well recorded
material. I was considering several others and didn't have much interest
in the Maggies, but after an extended listening session, I kept coming
back to them. - IMO, they are one of the most transparent, uncolored,
natural sounding speakers anywhere near their price range.

Although they do like lots of power, they don't require an
ultra-expensive, exotic amp. I have the Rotel 1090, which seems well
suited for the 3.6's and is rationally priced. (The Maggies and suitable
amps may be available used for less, of course.) I also think a sub
should be considered with any of the Maggies, with the possible
exception of the 20.1.

Incidentally, we do have a cat. - No problems so far.

Jim