Bruce J. Richman

Default Recommendations for Backup Software for LP/CD Database

While I probably should have done it long ago, I've decided it's finally come
time to backup a rather large LP/CD database that I've had on Paradox 7.0 for
many years. The database has about 7 different variables and they are
constantly being updated. There are about 1800 separate items (LPs/CDs) on the
database. My computer platform is a Windows-XP (Home Edition) based Dell
Dimension 8200 with enough hard drive storage so that space is not currently a
problem.

Can somebody recommend an easy-to-use backup software package that can provide
easy backup on to CDs or DVDs (I have burners for both in my computer, although
I presume CDs would be more cost-effective?). While I may eventually get an
external hard drive to which data could be transferred, I prefer to start at a
more basic level.

Ideally, I'd like a backup program that comes with manuals such as the type one
might get at CompUSA or similar store. The program should provide for easy
automatic daily or weekly backups in which newly modified/added data is saved.
Also, I understand some of these programs can provide "ghost images" of entire
hard drives? (I've done a little research on the Internet, but forget the
names of the programs that do this).

At any rate, my initial backup requirements involve the Paradox 7.0 database
and also, a large number of Wordperfect 6.0 files, and a smaller number of Word
2000 files.

All recommendations welcome, and let's forego the flames for a change.

Bruce J. Richman

Powell

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote

While I probably should have done it long ago, I've
decided it's finally come time to backup a rather large
LP/CD database that I've had on Paradox 7.0 for
many years.

"Large"... please define?

The database has about 7 different variables and
they are constantly being updated. There are about
1800 separate items (LPs/CDs) on the database.

Are we talking about a text based database? Have
you embedded wav or graphics files into it, too?
1800 is retavely small... unlike the time it takes to
keep it updated, I sure .

Ideally, I'd like a backup program that comes with
manuals such as the type one might get at CompUSA
or similar store. The program should provide for easy
automatic daily or weekly backups in which newly
modified/added data is saved.

"Easy backup on to CDs or DVDs"... are you prepared
for the hassle of always having a fresh blank in the
CD/DVD tray which would be required for auto backup...
depending on incremental or deferential backup file
size required?

You can get a 120GB internal drives cheap and they
are simple to install in your Dell. I pickup a 300GB
external HD last summer and it has been a no
brainer. The first priority of backup safely is to keep
the backup stored out of the building. These external
drives make that task simple. Do you have room in
your safe/safety deposit box for the cake of disks you’ll
generate in a couple of years ?

Also, I understand some of these programs can
provide "ghost images" of entire hard drives? (I've
done a little research on the Internet, but forget the
names of the programs that do this).

At any rate, my initial backup requirements involve the
Paradox 7.0 database and also, a large number of
Wordperfect 6.0 files, and a smaller number of Word
2000 files.

Hehehe... WP 6, 12 get released in May.

All recommendations welcome, and let's forego
the flames for a change.

Whoops, did I flame you ?

Bruce J. Richman

Powell wrote:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote

While I probably should have done it long ago, I've
decided it's finally come time to backup a rather large
LP/CD database that I've had on Paradox 7.0 for
many years.

"Large"... please define?

OK - you got me. Only large for an LP/CD database, I suppose. The actual
database file is about 1800 KB and expands and contracts from time to time.
The total Paradox program, including a number of different files and some
shared is more in the neighborhood of about 30 MB.

The database has about 7 different variables and
they are constantly being updated. There are about
1800 separate items (LPs/CDs) on the database.

Are we talking about a text based database? Have
you embedded wav or graphics files into it, too?

No, it is strictly text basic. There are no graphics or wav. files involved.
1800 is retavely small... unlike the time it takes to
keep it updated, I sure .

Right. The initial database setup was very labor intensive.

Ideally, I'd like a backup program that comes with
manuals such as the type one might get at CompUSA
or similar store. The program should provide for easy
automatic daily or weekly backups in which newly
modified/added data is saved.

"Easy backup on to CDs or DVDs"... are you prepared
for the hassle of always having a fresh blank in the
CD/DVD tray which would be required for auto backup...
depending on incremental or deferential backup file
size required?

I realize that would be a nuisance, but am probably willing to do this
initially.

You can get a 120GB internal drives cheap and they
are simple to install in your Dell.

It probably would be. Actually my Dell only has a 40 GB drive, and I haven't
even come close to filling it up. Also, I have plenty of open bays. However,
I thought the risk here would be that if the computer "totally" crashed, both
drives could be destroyed. Am I wrong?

I pickup a 300GB
external HD last summer and it has been a no
brainer. The first priority of backup safely is to keep
the backup stored out of the building. These external
drives make that task simple. Do you have room in
your safe/safety deposit box for the cake of disks youll
generate in a couple of years ?

Probably - although I suspect I'd eventually go to an external hard drive. I
just want to test the waters in a small way first with a backup of just the
Paradox & WP files. No doubt, I'll do the rest of it later.

Also, I understand some of these programs can
provide "ghost images" of entire hard drives? (I've
done a little research on the Internet, but forget the
names of the programs that do this).

At any rate, my initial backup requirements involve the
Paradox 7.0 database and also, a large number of
Wordperfect 6.0 files, and a smaller number of Word
2000 files.

Hehehe... WP 6, 12 get released in May.

I know. I've never been a fan of getting the latest upgrades just for the sake
of getting upgrades. I'm not a power word processor user, so my sord
processing needs are easily met by my old version of Word Perfect. For the
same reason, I've never bothered to upgrade Paradox. IOW, if it's not broken,
don't fix it.

All recommendations welcome, and let's forego
the flames for a change.

Whoops, did I flame you ?

No, not at all. However, I c ouild still use some software recommendations
that would accomplish the stuff mentioned above. Something that comes with
manuals, preferably.

Bruce J. Richman

Powell

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote

While I probably should have done it long ago, I've
decided it's finally come time to backup a rather large
LP/CD database that I've had on Paradox 7.0 for
many years.

"Large"... please define?

OK - you got me. Only large for an LP/CD
database, I suppose. The actual database file is
about 1800 KB and expands and contracts from
time to time. The total Paradox program, including
a number of different files and some shared is more
in the neighborhood of about 30 MB.

I think that you will find that most backup programs
will compress your total backup by about a 1/3 +/-.
You could easily do full backups and forget about
incremental or differential backups to save space.
A CD-RW might work well for this type of
application.

Ideally, I'd like a backup program that comes with
manuals such as the type one might get at CompUSA
or similar store. The program should provide for easy
automatic daily or weekly backups in which newly
modified/added data is saved.

"Easy backup on to CDs or DVDs"... are you prepared
for the hassle of always having a fresh blank in the
CD/DVD tray which would be required for auto backup...
depending on incremental or deferential backup file
size required?

I realize that would be a nuisance, but am probably
willing to do this initially.

No, I agree a CD is feasible. The sticking point
is finding software that will auto-write to a CD
burner. The scheduled timed backup is easy.
But having drivers to which will auto-start a CD
burner and then auto-recycle the "finalize session,
don't finalize CD" back to waiting for the next job,
a possible sticking point. This is simple process
for HD, 8mm and such.

You can get a 120GB internal drives cheap and
they are simple to install in your Dell.

It probably would be. Actually my Dell only has a
40 GB drive, and I haven't even come close to
filling it up. Also, I have plenty of open bays.
However, I thought the risk here would be that
if the computer "totally" crashed, both drives
could be destroyed. Am I wrong?

Statistically possible, yes. Certainly the hazzard
of fire or virus negates any well designed
electrical surge suppresser. IMHE, I would say
it (two physical HD's) is the most popular
backup scheme used or backing up across a
network to a 2nd computer is popular, too.

How risk adverse are you? Hard drives,
according to Western Digital, crash at the rate
of ˝ of 1 percent. Times this by two (2 - HD's
crashing at the same time) would give you a
vanishing low probability. And I suppose the
computer power supply could fry two drives
regardless of surge protection.

I pickup a 300GB
external HD last summer and it has been a no
brainer. The first priority of backup safely is to keep
the backup stored out of the building. These external
drives make that task simple. Do you have room in
your safe/safety deposit box for the cake of disks you'll
generate in a couple of years ?

Probably - although I suspect I'd eventually go to
an external hard drive. I just want to test the
waters in a small way first with a backup of just the
Paradox & WP files. No doubt, I'll do the rest of it
later.

I use Veritas backup softwa
http://www.veritas.com/index.html

You can download a trial version and see if it
(Netbackup Professional) has the CD burner
drivers you'll need for auto-backup and
re-cycle.

Also, I understand some of these programs can
provide "ghost images" of entire hard drives? (I've
done a little research on the Internet, but forget the
names of the programs that do this).

At any rate, my initial backup requirements involve the
Paradox 7.0 database and also, a large number of
Wordperfect 6.0 files, and a smaller number of Word
2000 files.

Hehehe... WP 6, 12 get released in May.

I know. I've never been a fan of getting the latest
upgrades just for the sake of getting upgrades. I'm
not a power word processor user, so my sord
processing needs are easily met by my old version
of Word Perfect. For the same reason, I've never
bothered to upgrade Paradox. IOW, if it's not
broken, don't fix it.

Okey-dokey, Doc !

All recommendations welcome, and let's forego
the flames for a change.

Whoops, did I flame you ?

No, not at all. However, I c ouild still use some
software recommendations that would accomplish
the stuff mentioned above. Something that comes
with manuals, preferably.

Manuals??? Perhaps a 3rd party technical book
would work better. FWIW, there isn't that many
settings in consumer versions of backup software.

Bruce J. Richman

Powell wrote:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote

[...]

Thanks, Powell. I will carefully consider and probably follow your
suggestions. I've seen Veritas software being sold on eBay, and will
definitely do some research re. this brand of software.

Also, if either this software or some other that can essentially make a "copy"
of the entire hard drive is available, please let me know. I seem to recall
reading a newspaper article about several different "ghosting" or "imaging" (I
think those were the terms) programs that essentially can make a "copy" of the
entire hard drive, including programs needed to boot up the computer.
Unfortunately, I do not recall the programs being referenced.

Thanks.

Bruce J. Richman

Bruce J. Richman

Lionel wrote:

Bruce J. Richman - - jeudi 29
Avril 2004 22:08 wrote:

[snip]

Bruce, I will second Powell advice.
This is something I have done for friends who have a professional use of
their computer : accounting, drawing, music...
The backup strategy is :
- Daily a backup of selected folders on a second HD. In order to keep this
HD out of a possible virus infection and other Windows crashes this HD is
running a Linux system. Backup is a simple script and is very quickly done
at the end of the day.
- Monthly : standard backup on CD.

Keep in mind that backup must remain a *voluntary* action, take care of the
"fully automatized" systems... ;-)

OK. I'll probably start by using rewritable CD's, but I'm sure I'll eventually
add an external hard drive with virus protection added.

Bruce J. Richman

Arny Krueger

The first thing to remember is that backup isn't really backup unless the
media you backup to can be easily separated from the computer.

Most catastrophes that befall computers at best, put anything inside the
computer or semi-permanently attached to the computer at risk. Computers get
stolen, infected with viruses, burned, drowned, struck by lightening,
zapped by surges etc. If any of those things happen to your computer, at the
very best, any backup media or device that is inside or semi-permanently
attached to the computer is at risk.

Therefore, any truly effective backup system has to involve putting the data
being backed-up on some kind of computer media or device that can easily,
and is frequently removed from the computer and put someplace else. I
recommend keeping backups at work if the computer is at home, and at home if
the computer is at work. If you totally lose both your home and your place
of work you will probably be in such profound trouble that computer backup
will be very low on your list of priorities. Of course if your data is
really valuable, there are offsite storage services like Iron Mountain, etc.

For a file the size of your Paradox database and some relatively small
number of WP files, the first alternative to investigate is no backup
program all - just copy the files to some backup media you chose, whether
floppy, zip drive, CD-R, DVD-R, removable hard drive, or one of those
keychain-sized flash memory USB devices.

The first problem most people run into while doing backup, is dealing with
files that are larger than the media that you are using. You didn't identify
your operating system, but all varieties of Windows and DOS since DOS 3.0 or
so have included some kind of a program that will break large files up so
they can be spread over several pieces of media. The Backup program that
came with DOS 4 and every subsequent version of Windows has also included
some kind of file compression facility.

Since I mentioned compression, that brings up another ready alternative -
WinZip (shareware) and programs like it. If your Paradox file won't quite
copy to a floppy in one piece, WinZip will compress it by a factor of maybe
3 to 10 and now it will fit in one piece, and maybe several times over.

If your computer has a USB port then two newer kinds of backup device can be
used with it. One type I already mentioned - those relatively inexpensive
USB Flash memory devices about the size of a cigar butt. The other version
of this kind of thing is the USB interface external hard drive. You plug
them in even while the computer is running, the computer identifies them as
storage, and it's like your computer suddenly grew another hard drive. They
are generally capacious enough that most personal collections of computer
files can be fit onto them by means of simple copying. Drag and drop.

If your computer has a CD burner, then the CD burner probably came with some
kind of software that can be used to make CD copies of files that you want
to back up. CDs are relatively large so file compression and file
subdivision often need not even be used with them.

What do I do for backup? I've set up all my word processing, spread sheet,
database and finance programs so that their master files are in subfolders
of a single folder on a certain hard drive. That single folder of subfolders
is large enough that it takes a DVD-R to hold that entire folder, and that's
how I back it up. The folder is shared on my household network, and it is
used for all critical data on all of the computers on the network.

Arny Krueger

Lionel wrote:
Arny Krueger - - vendredi 30
Avril 2004 12:20 wrote:

[...]

Nothing to add, perfect.

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm sure that a good editor could have a
ball with it. Even I would!

dave weil

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:09:05 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Nothing to add, perfect.

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm sure that a good editor could have a
ball with it. Even I would!

Actually it was quite well-written and well-structured.
Bruce J. Richman

Arny Krueger wrote:

The first thing to remember is that backup isn't really backup unless the
media you backup to can be easily separated from the computer.

I fully agree, and for that reason, will eventually opt in all likelihood for
an external hard drive rather than any internal storage device for backups.

[...]

My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition. The computer is a Dell
Dimension 8200 with separate drives for floppy disc, CD, and DVD. The computer
did come preloaded with Roxio software for disc copying.

[...]

Thank you for a well-written, comprehensive series of suggestions, Arny.

Bruce J. Richman

Bruce J. Richman

Paul Dormer wrote:

"Bruce J. Richman" emitted :

Also, if either this software or some other that can essentially make a

"copy"
of the entire hard drive is available, please let me know. I seem to recall
reading a newspaper article about several different "ghosting" or "imaging"

(I
think those were the terms) programs that essentially can make a "copy" of

the
entire hard drive, including programs needed to boot up the computer.
Unfortunately, I do not recall the programs being referenced.

Bruce, I use a pre-Semantic, 1998 version of Ghost (beta no less!) to
back up my operating system partition (non-NTFS) after a clean install
- for quick recovery to a clean position. I then back up all 'user
data' once a day (not just increments) using Nero. This is a fairly
simple way of doing things that does require some rebuilding in the
case of a comprehensive crash (ie. software and updates need
reinstalling), but OTOH it's good to start afresh every once in a
while anyhow.

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Thanks for the informatin, Paul. I shall carefully research and consider your
suggestions. I've been relatively lucky so far with no computer crashes or
hard drive failures, but I don't wish to tempt fate indefinitely. Therefore I
plan to implement some protective backup procedures in the near future.

Bruce J. Richman

dave weil

On 30 Apr 2004 16:58:41 GMT, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

The first problem most people run into while doing backup, is dealing with
files that are larger than the media that you are using. You didn't identify
your operating system, but all varieties of Windows and DOS since DOS 3.0 or
so have included some kind of a program that will break large files up so
they can be spread over several pieces of media. The Backup program that
came with DOS 4 and every subsequent version of Windows has also included
some kind of file compression facility.

My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition. The computer is a Dell
Dimension 8200 with separate drives for floppy disc, CD, and DVD. The computer
did come preloaded with Roxio software for disc copying.

You know, I was just thinking that a 512 mb Compact Flash card might
work well for backups of large and varied files. Anyone think of a
reason that might make it not such a good idea?

One advantage of the cards is that you could actually choose different
sizes for different backup requirements and you could spread your
backups amongst several cards, thus creating a little more security.
For instance, you could use a 64 mb card solely for Paradox, and a 64
mb for WordPerfect. Then, if you have a crash on one card, you
wouldn't lose *all* your data. Plus, it would be easy to back up your
backups by having two sets of cards per backup (one could stay in the
safety deposit box and maybe you only update it every month or every 6
months). It would be pretty cheap and extremely portable as well as
being quite small, which would be an advantage for safety deposit box
storage. Also, obviously it's rewritable. And, as a last resort, there
are now a few self-administered programs that can recover corrupted
data on these cards, although they are usually used for recovering
photos, but I don't see why they wouldn't work on other types of data
(I could be wrong about this though).

I know that musicians are using CF cards to dump music onto them while
on the road.

Workable? It's certainly cheap, although clearly not quite as cheap as
an internal hard drive. I assume that a backup program would recognize
the drive just as handily as it would any other drive, but maybe I'm
mistaken...

Arny Krueger

dave weil wrote:
[...]

Compact Flash media basically requires that a Compact Flash reader be
attached to a desktop computer like Bruce's Dimension 8200.

Not a problem as CF readers are widely sold for very low prices. Of course,
the readers are typically USB devices. Why not just get a USB flash memory
device and save the bother of the reader?

The answer to this depends on whether or not you have some other device
that can use a CF card. Flash memory formats are proliferating so fast that
I despair at the thought of ever buying another device that would use the
two CF cards I own.

The USB flash memory devices are so convenient for moving data around with,
that we ended up with one of those, too. When you're playing sneakernet, its
nice to not have to carry a reader around.

Bruce J. Richman

Dave Weil wrote:

[...]

I'm not familiar with Compact Flash cards, but will certainly investigate these
as an option. Thanks, Dave.

Bruce J. Richman

Powell

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote

Also, if either this software or some other that can
essentially make a "copy" of the entire hard drive
is available, please let me know.

Your XP-Home has a backup program...
start/accessaries/system tools/backup.

I seem to recall reading a newspaper article about
several different "ghosting" or "imaging" (I think those
were the terms) programs that essentially can make
a "copy" of the entire hard drive, including programs
needed to boot up the computer.
Unfortunately, I do not recall the programs being referenced.

Norton System Pro has Norton Ghost which has a
host of features. It is also available as a stand alone
program. I have it but have never used it.
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Bruce J. Richman

Powell wrote:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote

Also, if either this software or some other that can
essentially make a "copy" of the entire hard drive
is available, please let me know.

Your XP-Home has a backup program...
start/accessaries/system tools/backup.

Actually, it does not appear when following the command chain you've described.
Other utiolities such as System Restore and Defragmentation show up, but not
Backup. I read somewhere that the Backup utility is "hidden" somehow in the
the Windows XP program and that a patch might be required to enable it, but I'm
not sure about this.

I seem to recall reading a newspaper article about
several different "ghosting" or "imaging" (I think those
were the terms) programs that essentially can make
a "copy" of the entire hard drive, including programs
needed to boot up the computer.
Unfortunately, I do not recall the programs being referenced.

Norton System Pro has Norton Ghost which has a
host of features. It is also available as a stand alone
program. I have it but have never used it.
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Thanks for the information. I'll check it out.

Bruce J. Richman

dave weil

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:38:37 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

dave weil wrote:
[...]

Is this a real problem though? Wouldn't *any* drive have to be
connected in order to do backups? Of course, you could use something
like a remote connection between that computer and another "off-site"
one, but I don't know if that's worth the trouble, plus, you lose the
portability unless you're dumping the data onto a removable drive of
*some sort*. Once you back up the card, you remove it to a remote site
anyway, right?

Not a problem as CF readers are widely sold for very low prices. Of course,
the readers are typically USB devices. Why not just get a USB flash memory
device and save the bother of the reader?

Isn't that just (as my mom used to say) 6 of one, half a dozen of the
other? You wouldn't have to necessarily use CF, but capacity doesn't
become an issue like it does with other formats. Or are you talking
about some sort of device that doesn't use a reader of some sort (even
if it's permanently built in to the desktop or laptop)?

The answer to this depends on whether or not you have some other device
that can use a CF card. Flash memory formats are proliferating so fast that
I despair at the thought of ever buying another device that would use the
two CF cards I own.

Well, for instance, if you have an Olympus camera, you might want to
use *their* format. That would be logical. You might not want to use
Sony's format because of the 128 mg limit (I think that they've been
working on that though...) It just seemed to me that CF, being very
widely used with cameras, would be the logical choice, especially with
the large capacity that they offer. And the price is pretty reasonable
as well.

The USB flash memory devices are so convenient for moving data around with,
that we ended up with one of those, too. When you're playing sneakernet, its
nice to not have to carry a reader around.

I might be missing something, but don't you *still* need a reader of
some sort?
Arny Krueger

Bruce J. Richman wrote:
Powell wrote:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote

Also, if either this software or some other that can
essentially make a "copy" of the entire hard drive
is available, please let me know.

Your XP-Home has a backup program...
start/accessaries/system tools/backup.

Actually, it does not appear when following the command chain you've
described. Other utiolities such as System Restore and
Defragmentation show up, but not Backup. I read somewhere that the
Backup utility is "hidden" somehow in the the Windows XP program and
that a patch might be required to enable it, but I'm not sure about
this.

The XP Backup program is not in XP Home, just XP Professional.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ide/backup.asp

Arny Krueger

dave weil wrote:

The USB flash memory devices are so convenient for moving data
around with, that we ended up with one of those, too. When you're
playing sneakernet, its nice to not have to carry a reader around.

I might be missing something, but don't you *still* need a reader of
some sort?

Nope.

Just a USB port. Generic drivers are built into all versions of XP. THAT is
USB Flash memory is so popular. On Win98 machines, you need proprietary
drivers.

Also, some music players, even hard drive-based models, are dual-use. They
will play music or move files. They require no drivers. Many are small
enough to plug directly into the USB port.

Bruce J. Richman

Arny Krueger wrote:

Bruce J. Richman wrote:
Powell wrote:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote

Also, if either this software or some other that can
essentially make a "copy" of the entire hard drive
is available, please let me know.

Your XP-Home has a backup program...
start/accessaries/system tools/backup.

Actually, it does not appear when following the command chain you've
described. Other utiolities such as System Restore and
Defragmentation show up, but not Backup. I read somewhere that the
Backup utility is "hidden" somehow in the the Windows XP program and
that a patch might be required to enable it, but I'm not sure about
this.

The XP Backup program is not in XP Home, just XP Professional.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...tarted/guide/b

ackup.asp

That was my suspicion. Thanks for the clarification.

Bruce J. Richman

dave weil

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:09:28 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

The USB flash memory devices are so convenient for moving data
around with, that we ended up with one of those, too. When you're
playing sneakernet, its nice to not have to carry a reader around.

I might be missing something, but don't you *still* need a reader of
some sort?

Nope.

Just a USB port. Generic drivers are built into all versions of XP. THAT is
USB Flash memory is so popular. On Win98 machines, you need proprietary
drivers.

I get it now. All-in-one (I haven't used any of those new storage
devices). That can certainly be an advantage when you don't have a
card reader handy. The price also seems a little bit better when you
add in the cost of the reader. Still, having a reader and CF cards
already, someone like me would probably be better served staying with
CF. For someone like Bruce, who doesn't seem to have them in place
already, he should look at this alternative.

Also, some music players, even hard drive-based models, are dual-use. They
will play music or move files. They require no drivers. Many are small
enough to plug directly into the USB port.

That's certainly another option along the idea of what we're talking
about.

So, that's two new options worth looking into.
Bruce J. Richman

wrote:

dave weil wrote:

[...]

I'm going to carefully investigate all my options. Everybody's suggestions
have been very helpful.

Bruce J. Richman