toochan

Default Newbie question on car remote start/security system: Why three ignition outputs?

I'm trying to understand wirings on a DEI Viper 560XV system. Can
someone explain why it has three ignition outputs -- (pink) ignition
output, (pink/white) 2nd ignition, and (pink, smaller gauge wire)(-)
3rd ignition?

Thanks in advance,

toochan
Scott Gardner

I don't know what the purpose of the third ignition wire is,
but I can explain the other two. The primary ignition wire taps into
the ignition circuit in the car that only powers the starter relay and
the ignition. The second ignition wire connects into the circuit that
powers all of the accessories, like the air conditioning, radio,
headlights, etcetera.
You may have noticed when you start your car that the
headlights, radio, air conditioning and other accessories will cut off
while the car is cranking. That's because the secondary ignition
circuit is disabled during cranking to get as much power as possible
to the starter. After you take the key out of the "start" position
and put it back in the "run" position, the secondary ignition circuit
begins to get power.

Scott Gardner

On 28 Nov 2003 21:39:48 -0800, (toochan) wrote:

I'm trying to understand wirings on a DEI Viper 560XV system. Can
someone explain why it has three ignition outputs -- (pink) ignition
output, (pink/white) 2nd ignition, and (pink, smaller gauge wire)(-)
3rd ignition?

Thanks in advance,

toochan

KaeZoo

There are some cars that have three separate ignition circuits that each
need to be powered for remote start. DEI remote starts only include two
relays for powering ignition circuits. The smaller guage (-) wire is used
to activate another relay if one needs to be added.

"toochan" wrote in message
om...
I'm trying to understand wirings on a DEI Viper 560XV system. Can
someone explain why it has three ignition outputs -- (pink) ignition
output, (pink/white) 2nd ignition, and (pink, smaller gauge wire)(-)
3rd ignition?

Thanks in advance,

toochan

toochan

Scott and KaeZoo,

Thanks for the information.

FYI, Viper 560XV is on the way, ordered it a few days ago. It is
going on a 2002 Civic. I now think I should have ordered a Viper
160XV. Stock 2002 Civic comes equipped with immobilizer so 160XV may
have been sufficient. Oh well. I wonder if I should wire for starter
kill with the 560VX? It will be my first installation. I'm going over
the wiring on paper with 560XV installation guide and Civic Service
manual to make sure connections, polarity, and type of signals are all
correct and are in agreement. I haven't even looked under my dash
yet.

Let me ask another question while at it. Both 791XV and 560XV have a
2nd unlock output (also blue -). Again there's no explanation on
install guide available online. After reading Kaezoo's response, I'm
now assuming that's just a duplicate output. What do you think?

Thanks guys,

toochan

(toochan) wrote in message . com...
I'm trying to understand wirings on a DEI Viper 560XV system. Can
someone explain why it has three ignition outputs -- (pink) ignition
output, (pink/white) 2nd ignition, and (pink, smaller gauge wire)(-)
3rd ignition?

Thanks in advance,

toochan

toochan

It's used when you want to program the system for progressive door locks
(push once to unlock driver's door, twice to unlock the others).

By any slim chance, would you know how to wire Viper 560XV
(www.directed.com) to a 2002 Civic EX to retain the progressive unlock
feature? The car's stock remote has the progressive unlock, and I
can't figure how to wire the 560XV to keep the feature. Wiring 560XV
to driver side door unlock unlocks all doors on first push.

toochan
KaeZoo

You can unlock the driver's side first by interfacing with the driver's door
lock motor wire directly, between the lock relays and the door. The wire
you want will be a heavier gauge, and when tested will show 12v during
unlock. Since the wire rests at ground, you have to use a relay to
interrupt it and send 12v to the motor side when you want it to unlock. Use
your alarm's unlock wire to activate the relay, and make sure there's a fuse
on your constant 12v source. Then the "second unlock" wire is connected to
the wire that unlocks all the doors, so the first unlock signal activates
the driver's door motor and the second unlocks everything.

You can get wire colors and diagrams if you post your question at
www.underthedash.com . Someone there may know an easier way to do it, since
your vehicle already has progressive unlock from the factory.

om...