Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy

Default A serious audio newsgroup wanted

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 05:31:56 +0000 (UTC), Steven Sullivan
wrote:

Best ways to do to make the biggest difference towards better sound:

optimize speaker placement and listening position
apply treatments to improve room acoustics e.g.
- first-reflection absorption for highs and midrange
- bass traps
- room EQ
upgrade speakers

Pretty much everything after that runs a distant second, except for
changing cables, which runs a distant third , if that.

Agreed, and acoustical treatments can be home-made for very little
money, so it's a real shame they are so rarely used. I didn't "get
it" on this issue myself until a couple years ago, but I'm sure glad I
did. 8)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:49:50 GMT, wrote:

By now it was demonstraded to you beyond any doubt what a "serious
newsgroup" doea no look like.
Go to "www.Audio Asylum.com" The DBT discussion is banned,

They prefer ignorance?

Well, I can see why some might want it banned, just because it's been
beaten to death.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

wrote:

Best ways to do to make the biggest difference towards better sound:

optimize speaker placement and listening position
apply treatments to improve room acoustics e.g.
- first-reflection absorption for highs and midrange
- bass traps
- room EQ
upgrade speakers

Pretty much everything after that runs a distant second, except for
changing cables, which runs a distant third , if that.

Agreed, and acoustical treatments can be home-made for very little
money, so it's a real shame they are so rarely used. I didn't "get
it" on this issue myself until a couple years ago, but I'm sure glad I
did. 8)

And the eggcrates don't clash with your Salvation Army furnishings, do
they?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George Middius

dave weil said to dippyborg:

acoustical treatments can be home-made for very little money

And the eggcrates don't clash with your Salvation Army furnishings, do
they?

Are you sure dippy has moved up from dumpster-diving? ;-)

..
..

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"George Middius" wrote in message

dave weil said to dippyborg:

acoustical treatments can be home-made for very little money

And the eggcrates don't clash with your Salvation Army furnishings, do
they?

Are you sure dippy has moved up from dumpster-diving? ;-)

http://tinyurl.com/9k6nb

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote in message
oups.com...

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

In article
.com,
wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:

wrote:

By now it was demonstraded to you beyond any doubt
what a "serious newsgroup" does no look like.
Go to "www.Audio Asylum.com" The DBT discussion is
banned,

The claim that DBT discussion is banned is just another
example of Ludovic's failing grip on reality. Last time I
checked, DBTs are only banned on AA in the section devoted
to cables.

Audio Asylum is nothing if not aptly-named. And I'm
pretty sure I saw Sam Tellig calling
someone *profane* names there recently.

Tellig's posts were removed in a timely fashion. Another
Stereophile regular melts down in public - what's new?

(DBT discussion
was only banned in the cable section
last time I looked..has there been a forum-wide putsch
there since?) It's hardly the haven of
reason and civil discourse Derrick seems to seek.

I don't see AA as being especially useless.

If you want no-nonsense discussion of audio and audio
perception -- claims of the 'I heard a
difference therefore it is real" type are actually
against its terms of service, as are
flamewars and profanity -- try
www.hydrogenaudio.org.

Agreed.

For a pro audio perspective , seek out
the www.prosoundweb forums or rec.audio.pro or
rec.audio.tech. www.audioholics.com also
has some very good articles on no-nonsense audio, and a
pretty good and lively forum. And of
course, there's rec.audio.high-end, every audiophool's
nightmare.

ditto and ditto.

And naturally Sullivan's delight He can spout there at
will without fear of contradiction.

See former comments about Ludovic's disconnect with reality.
Sullivan can and is frequently contradicted on RAHE.

No need to take
shelter in his dodge of "killfiling" whenever the going
gets too hot.

Ah, so what Ludovic is complaining about is his inability to
engage in personal attacks and defamation.

The RAHE engineer-moderator does his job
for him. He hypocritically proclaimed ban on ABX debate.

Nothing like a personal attack to salve Ludovic's wounded
ego, it seems.

This allows RAHE to post all the subtle cryptonyms like:
"Prove by a bias-free test that your impressions are
real".

This would be no doubt be one of Ludovic's made-up quotes.

If one says that the bias-free."test' (read ABX)
has never been validated by experiment your retort is
censored out because it is "repetitive" or
"uninteresting" or about ABX or what not.

To mental midgets like Ludovic, all bias-controlled tests
are the same, it seems.

Sullivans and
their clones reign supreme there. The gagged opposition
left one by one- gentle Harry Lavo the last survivor.

If you call being Harry Lavo "being a survivor" ;-)

There are others there who are simpatico :-)

Ludovic's affinity for RAO would appear to lie in his
ability to find sympathy from people who are as
logically-challenged and unaware of relevant facts as he is.

Arny says:
"Ah, so what Ludovic is complaining about is his inability to
engage in personal attacks and defamation"

Arny- where I come from, the "going gets hot" means "when argument
gets hot". Sorry that your imagination does not see a lively discussion
without "personal attacks and defamation"

You don't do argurments. You obviously seem teh Monty Python "argument
sketch" too many times. You only contradict.

Sorry that you next prove that you learned the lesson only too well:
Here are a few excerpts from your current usage:.
"This would be no doubt be one of Ludovic's made-up quotes"
Note the artful use of "one of"..
Mo
"To mental midgets like Ludovic, all bias-controlled tests
are the same, it seems."

And here is one of the "personal attacks and defamation " I
subjected our supporter of civility in discussion: two short months
ago.
"Arny let me now say something in sorrow rather than anger. You are
an inventive guy , a cut above average, you're bright and articulate
well, you forgot more about electronics than I will ever know. I am
told that. your ABX or its derivatives are used daily by researchers..
This should be plenty satisfying to you. You don't need to extend the
ABX empire to where it does not fit.
It seems that you can never satisfy some egos. Arny is confusing a
disagreement with "personal attacks and defamation ".
It seems also that I truly got under his skin by awkward questions like
this one: "IPlease point to ONE SINGLE published ABX test which
resulted in recognition of differences between any electronically
comparable audio component and another."
You don't like this wording? REPHRASE it. Anything goes. Don't
nitpick and don't stay mute till you hope the question was forgotten
when you can start things afresh.
Because it will not be . I'll take care of that.
I'm also notifyiing your claque that if they want to go on the way
they have been doing I will continue to take it and to dish it out too.

Obsession noted.

In spades. Thankfully in a free society they can not fulfil their
dreams and muzzle the opposition.
Ludovic Mirabel
At least my quarrel with RAHE was not about repetitious advertising.

No it was about you being a repetitious idiot.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"dizzy" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:49:50 GMT, wrote:

By now it was demonstraded to you beyond any doubt what a "serious
newsgroup" doea no look like.
Go to "www.Audio Asylum.com" The DBT discussion is banned,

They prefer ignorance?

Well, I can see why some might want it banned, just because it's been
beaten to death.

Only because people like Ludo won't shut up about it. There are a few other
people who seem ignorant of the fact that it's not only possible for
different gear to sound alike, but indeed likely that it will be thus.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
wrote:

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
Can those apparently few people who use this Newsgroup just for
matters
Audio advise me if there is a "more" appropriate newsgroup for
dealing
with Audio queries ao running down the subject matter of "most" of
the
posts leads me to believe that this NG is for anything and
everything
except serious Audio buffs.
I do hope this post attracts those who are prepared to advise but
no
doubt some people will take offence at the tenure of my remarks, I
assure you no offence is intended, I just want some loudspeaker
advice
but feel from the subject matter of some of the posts I may be in
the
wrong place.
--
Derrick

By now it was demonstraded to you beyond any doubt what a "serious
newsgroup" doea no look like.
Go to "www.Audio Asylum.com" The DBT discussion is banned, moderator
rejects profanity, people argue about equipment and discuss their
experience. You'll soon know who you feel deserves to be listened to.
Ludovic Mirabel

Audio Asylum is nothing if not aptly-named. And I'm pretty sure I saw
Sam
Tellig calling
someone *profane* names there recently. (DBT discussion was only banned

www.hydrogenaudio.org. For a pro audio
perspective , seek out
the www.prosoundweb forums or rec.audio.pro or rec.audio.tech.
www.audioholics.com also
has some very good articles on no-nonsense audio, and a pretty good and
lively forum. And of
course, there's rec.audio.high-end, every audiophool's nightmare.
Sullivan says:
.And of
course, there's rec.audio.high-end, every audiophool's nightmare.

And naturally Sullivan's delight He can spout there at will without
fear of contradiction. No need to take shelter in his dodge of
"killfiling" whenever the going gets too hot. The RAHE
engineer-moderator does his job for him. He hypocritically proclaimed
ban on ABX debate. This allows RAHE to post all the subtle cryptonyms
like: "Prove by a bias-free test that your impressions are real". If
one says that the bias-free."test' (read ABX) has never been validated
by experiment your retort is censored out because it is "repetitive" or
"uninteresting" or about ABX or what not. Sullivans and their clones
reign supreme there. The gagged opposition left one by one- gentle
Harry Lavo the last survivor.

There are others there who are simpatico :-)

Indeed...there always are.
These days there's almost always debate there about some *inventive*
model of audio reality that Jenn and other subjectivists have offered.

Yep, that's me; always inventing some reality or another. Go figure. I
just wish that I could remember inventing some reality; it sounds like
it could be interesting.

Apparently
the RAHE moderator(s) are less intolerant than Dr. Mirabilis claims.

Btw, not all of my posts to RAHE are approved, either.

For the record, neither are all of mine.

You can bet
that when it appears I've stopped participating in a thread, it's because
I've reached the point where the mods disallowed or have asked me to rewrite
a post
if I want to resubmit it. I usually find that's not worth the effort.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy

wrote:

Best ways to do to make the biggest difference towards better sound:

optimize speaker placement and listening position
apply treatments to improve room acoustics e.g.
- first-reflection absorption for highs and midrange
- bass traps
- room EQ
upgrade speakers

Pretty much everything after that runs a distant second, except for
changing cables, which runs a distant third , if that.

Agreed, and acoustical treatments can be home-made for very little
money, so it's a real shame they are so rarely used. I didn't "get
it" on this issue myself until a couple years ago, but I'm sure glad I
did. 8)

And the eggcrates don't clash with your Salvation Army furnishings, do
they?

HO HO HO HA HA HA you're a funny guy. 8)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
wrote:

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

Jenn says:
For the record, neither are all of mine.

In my case it was not one or two. It was nine submissions in a row.
Some of them were messages amended to comply with the reasons quoted
for a previous rejection- never because of profanity.

By the time I reached nine rejections I felt that Bates decided to
silence me and that RAHE was closed to me. I concluded that he was very
concerned about the sanctity of ABX. Sullivan unwittingly confirms
this:
.And of
course, there's rec.audio.high-end, every audiophool's nightmare.

One gives thanks for the free society remembering all the little
censors cutting this or that in the two totalirian sysytems one lived
through- every true believer's nightmare.
Ludovic Mirabel

Sullivan unwittingly

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Steven Sullivan

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
wrote:

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

Do you have a perceptual tic that precludes you from cognitively
registering the word 'model'? *THAT* would be more interesting
than the suppositional horses you flog over on RAHE.

--
-S
"The most appealing intuitive argument for atheism is the mindblowing stupidity of religious
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Steven Sullivan wrote:
Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Sullivan said to Jenn:
Do you have a perceptual tic that precludes you from cognitively
registering the word 'model'? *THAT* would be more interesting
than the suppositional horses you flog over on RAHE.

I'll take advantage offered by Sullivan's enigmatic
semantico/metaphysico/metaphorical imagery to straighten out my own
ambiguous wording. In my last message I said:

"One gives thanks for the free society remembering all the little
censors cutting this or that in the two totalitarian sysytems one lived

through- every true believer's nightmare"
..
Late night phrasing. What I meant was "Every true believer's daydream".
Of course.
Ludovic Mirabel

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
wrote:

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

No. I simply don't know of any realities that I've invented.

*THAT* would be more interesting
than the suppositional horses you flog over on RAHE.

LOL Such as?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Steven Sullivan

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
wrote:

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

But do you 'know of' the models of audio reality you've offered on RAHE? Because
if not, it would mean you aren't reading what you write there. Which would
explain a lot, actually.

*THAT* would be more interesting
than the suppositional horses you flog over on RAHE.

LOL Such as?

Oh dear...so, waht *do* you imagine you've been writing over there?
News reports?

--
-S
"The most appealing intuitive argument for atheism is the mindblowing stupidity of religious
fundamentalists." -- Ginger Yellow
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
wrote:

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

All I "know" are my opinions on how equipment sounds to me, i.e. my
opinions, and I "know" the sound of live acoustic music because
listening to it is how I make my living, hence I'm highly practiced in
the details of the sound of actual instruments and actual acoustic
spaces. Is this what you mean by "audio realities"? If so, guilty as
charged, I guess.

Because
if not, it would mean you aren't reading what you write there. Which would
explain a lot, actually.

Yawn.

*THAT* would be more interesting
than the suppositional horses you flog over on RAHE.

LOL Such as?

Oh dear...so, waht *do* you imagine you've been writing over there?
News reports?

Pretty much, yes. I report my opinions on what I hear.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Jenn" wrote in message

All I "know" are my opinions on how equipment sounds to me, i.e. my
opinions, and I "know" the sound of live acoustic music because
listening to it is how I make my living, hence I'm highly practiced in
the details of the sound of actual instruments and actual acoustic
spaces. Is this what you mean by "audio realities"? If so, guilty as
charged, I guess.

No, audio realities are ABX torture rituals, and ABX torture rituals alone.
Nothing else will do.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
wrote:

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

Sullivan says: " Oh dear...so, waht *do* you imagine you've been
writing over there?
News reports?

Jenn answers:
Pretty much, yes. I report my opinions on what I hear.

How unscientific can you be? Don't you follow distilled wisdom and
"realities" dispensed daily on RAO and RAHE? Don't you know what
contribution "science" would make to your appreciation of audio and
your way of conducting? Shame on you.
Ludovic Mirabel