Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien BH Julien BH is offline

Default Recording properly

Hi,

Yesterday I made a new song and for once I though it sounded pretty
good.
Last time I recorded, I used my 635a for the guitar and my EV RE-510
for my vocals. But this time I switched.

The RE-510 sounds really good on a guitar amp combo. Less ambient than
the 635a to say the least, more punch.
And the 635a gives that 70's feel to my voice which I particularly
like... a bit like talking through a phone.

Results may vary...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

Julien BH wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday I made a new song and for once I though it sounded pretty
good. Last time I recorded, I used my 635a for the guitar and my EV
RE-510 for my vocals. But this time I switched.

The RE-510 sounds really good on a guitar amp combo. Less ambient than
the 635a to say the least, more punch. And the 635a gives that 70's feel
to my voice which I particularly like... a bit like talking through a
phone.

Results may vary...

I'm curious. I've mixed many top-name performers' vocals using 635As.
They never sounded anything like "talking through a phone". Being as
difficult to damage as the 635A is, what else could possibly wrong with
your recording setup?

--
~
~ Roy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien BH Julien BH is offline

On Oct 3, 1:12 pm, Roy W. Rising
wrote:
Julien BH wrote:
[...]

Well a bit mid-rangey???
I don't know how to explain.
Maybe it's my voice, maybe it's the microphone. But I like it.
I'll try to upload it when I get back from work to let you hear what I
mean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien BH Julien BH is offline

On Oct 3, 1:36 pm, Julien BH wrote:
On Oct 3, 1:12 pm, Roy W. Rising
wrote:

Julien BH wrote:
[...]

Also maybe it's the ART compressor that gives this tone. I don't know,
really.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Julien BH wrote:
[...]

The EV 635A is "tailored for voice" and sounds very natural. Try a take
without the ART to hear if there's a difference. Otherwise, it's your
voice. Maybe the more extended highs, HF peaks and proximity effect of
the RE510 are your reference. If anything, these "additions" might be
deceptive when compared to your actual sound.

--
~
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien BH Julien BH is offline

wrote:

Julien BH wrote:
[...]

The proximity on the RE-510 is not that bad when I set the LFcut at
ON.
But I think that it is way to bright for my voice.
Maybe for a girl's voice it would be okay. I tried it with an
accoustic guitar, and it sounds pretty good too.

Anyway the thing is, with the RE510 on the cab, I don't hear the room
reverb ( which is a nice thing because it sounds bad in my little
apparment room)

I think it was the room that gave the muddy sound on my guitar. Now it
sounds good.
And it may be because of the room too that my voice has a midrange
peak now.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien BH Julien BH is offline

On 3 oct, 16:00, Julien BH wrote:

wrote:

Julien BH wrote:
[...]

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=265287
If you need a sample check SWIFTLE. (top song, just press HI-FI)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien BH Julien BH is offline

On Oct 4, 11:20 pm, Julien BH wrote:
On 3 oct, 16:00, Julien BH wrote:

wrote:

Julien BH wrote:
[...]

I think it was the way I used the mike. The closer I get to it, the
more it brings out the mid range. Maybe it's midrange distortion?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

wrote:

Julien BH wrote:
[...]

Um, since the 635a is an omni, the room could be influencing the
sound, too, yes? So, the question would be, what is the environment
you're recording in? Reflectivity, standing waves, etc...??

--Fletch

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

On Oct 3, 1:00 pm, Julien BH wrote:

wrote:

Julien BH wrote:
[...]

Ah, well, had I read down a bit further... this addresses what I was
suggesting.

--Fletch

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Julien BH wrote:
[...]

Lol thanks Fletch :P

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Roy W. Rising wrote:
Julien BH wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday I made a new song and for once I though it sounded pretty
good. Last time I recorded, I used my 635a for the guitar and my EV
RE-510 for my vocals. But this time I switched.

The RE-510 sounds really good on a guitar amp combo. Less ambient than
the 635a to say the least, more punch. And the 635a gives that 70's feel
to my voice which I particularly like... a bit like talking through a
phone.

Results may vary...

I'm curious. I've mixed many top-name performers' vocals using 635As.
They never sounded anything like "talking through a phone". Being as
difficult to damage as the 635A is, what else could possibly wrong with
your recording setup?

635A has no top end and no bottom end. Because of that, it will show up
midrange problems in the recording chain and in the monitors very clearly.
It does magnify the midrange a lot.. combine it with monitors that have
a peaky presence region and the effect could be depressingly telephonic.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Julien BH wrote:
Well a bit mid-rangey???
I don't know how to explain.
Maybe it's my voice, maybe it's the microphone. But I like it.
I'll try to upload it when I get back from work to let you hear what I
mean

Also maybe it's the ART compressor that gives this tone. I don't know,
really.

Bingo! Think of that thing as more like a guitar pedal than a real
compressor.