Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Convert SPDIF coax to ADAT optical?

Without going through a sound card in a computer, I'd like to:

- stream SPDIF coax (really an RCA connector) output from one machine...

to:

- two channels of an 8 channel ADAT optical input on another machine.

Being able to select the pair within the 8 channel ADAT stream would be nice, but
I'd settle for fixing it to channels 1 & 2.

Is there a utility box that will do this and is "relatively cheap" and okay, or need
I be concerned about introducting jitter with a cheaper box? (That is, on the ADAT
side will a well-clocked D-to-A correct any timing problems that might be
introduced by this configuration?

Thanks in advance,

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Frank Stearns wrote:
Is there a utility box that will do this and is "relatively cheap" and okay, or need
I be concerned about introducting jitter with a cheaper box? (That is, on the ADAT
side will a well-clocked D-to-A correct any timing problems that might be
introduced by this configuration?

There are a lot of boxes to do this, but the RME ADI-8 DS is inexpensive and
well designed. The Studer D19 rack can do this also.

The quality of the lightpipe connection is so poor that nothing else you
can put in the path will even approach the jitter resulting from the
lightpipe link, so don't worry about it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau[_2_] Romeo Rondeau[_2_] is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Frank Stearns wrote:
Is there a utility box that will do this and is "relatively cheap" and okay, or need
I be concerned about introducting jitter with a cheaper box? (That is, on the ADAT
side will a well-clocked D-to-A correct any timing problems that might be
introduced by this configuration?

There are a lot of boxes to do this, but the RME ADI-8 DS is inexpensive and
well designed. The Studer D19 rack can do this also.

The quality of the lightpipe connection is so poor that nothing else you
can put in the path will even approach the jitter resulting from the
lightpipe link, so don't worry about it.
--scott

A dedicated wordclock connection will usually fix this.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 23, 4:42 pm, Frank Stearns
wrote:
Without going through a sound card in a computer, I'd like to:
- stream SPDIF coax (really an RCA connector) output from one machine...
to:

- two channels of an 8 channel ADAT optical input on another machine.

Being able to select the pair within the 8 channel ADAT stream would be nice, but
I'd settle for fixing it to channels 1 & 2.

Is there a utility box that will do this and is "relatively cheap" and okay

M-Audio made something like that called SAM. Of course you can't buy a
new one, but you might be able to find one in the bay swimming with
the sharks.

"Converts S/PDIF to ADAT as follows: Left channel to all ADAT odd
channels and right channel to all ADAT even channels" The literature
that I have doesn't indicate whether the S/PDIF port is optical or
coax but from the illustration in the manual, it appears to be coax.

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global...SAM_Manual.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eric Eric is offline

It ain't "relatively cheap," but I just read about a new box from TC
Electronic that may do just what you're looking for. List price is
$1750, IIRC.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=11320

--
Eric Frampton, keyboards Atlanta, Georgia, USA
http://www.ericframpton.com

Convert Optical (spdif) audio to analog RCA [email protected] Tech 12 December 1st 05 03:57 PM
optical better than coax??? MZ Tech 8 July 6th 05 11:59 PM
Fireface 8-channel optical ADAT to 8 individual optical SPDIFs? Daniel Fuchs Pro Audio 0 January 22nd 05 02:32 PM
FA: M-Audio CO3 digital interface converter AES/EBU SPDIF COAX TOSLINK OPTICAL JW Pro Audio 0 January 9th 05 09:58 PM
Optical/coax jacks Marc Wielage Pro Audio 1 September 21st 03 02:27 AM