Patrick Turner

Default how do I connect a wire directly to tube pins?

Patrick wrote:

I want to solder cv 173 tubes directly in a circuit without using a socket.
The pins come straight out of the flat glass tube bottom.
It's impossible to solder a wire to the pins, even with the iron set to
450°C.

Can anyone tell me how should I do this? Sockets for these tube are very
rare and the tubes are high reliability, so socket not essential.

Patrick

Maybe you could make your own sockets,
but its a hard thing to do, using some drilled plastic plates,
and some brass strip bent to form the pin grippers.
But I think if you looked around, you'd find some old sockets
someone didn't want.
See
http://www.tubecollector.org/cv2006.htm
for some idea on socket construction.

Would not a "normal" tube be easier?
6CL6 comes to mind.

Patrick Turner.

TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

I have had good results with just wrapping wire around pins of weird old tubes.
I start with the insulation at the base and wrap bare wire out from the tube.
After wrapping entire pin, trim excess wire and then tighten carefully with
needle nose pliars.

No solder required

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead
Nothing40

"Patrick" wrote in message .be...
I want to solder cv 173 tubes directly in a circuit without using a socket.
The pins come straight out of the flat glass tube bottom.
It's impossible to solder a wire to the pins, even with the iron set to
450°C.

Can anyone tell me how should I do this? Sockets for these tube are very
rare and the tubes are high reliability, so socket not essential.

Patrick

Have you tried using some sandpaper on the pins to clean them? That
usually does the trick for me,when I find one of those "impossible
solder jobs".Unless the pins are aluminum or something like that,it
should work.
JKoning

"Patrick" schreef in bericht
. be...
I want to solder cv 173 tubes directly in a circuit without using a

socket.
The pins come straight out of the flat glass tube bottom.
It's impossible to solder a wire to the pins, even with the iron set to
450°C.

Can anyone tell me how should I do this? Sockets for these tube are very
rare and the tubes are high reliability, so socket not essential.

Patrick

For the CV173 / EF55 the base is of the B9G type,
see : http://www.r-type.org/inx/inx00037.htm

For "B9G tube socket" Google produced f.e. :
http://www.bel-tubes.co.uk/sockets.htm
but you may try "T9A", "Enne-al" or "Loctal(-9p)" too.

Another one: (lekker kort bij huis, zeeuws vlaanderen)
http://www.kent-electronics.nl/
Download PDF "Kent Gazette 09/2003" and have a look at page 7,
"buisvoeten", third line of the table, B9G.

Alternatively you could make your own tube socket using "Loose PCB sockets",
see : http://www.harwin.com/icsockets/pcbs...pcbsockets.asp ,

For several drawings of the tube base,
see : http://home.planet.nl/~frank.philips...s.html#enne-al
notice the difference between bases, but all pins are 1.1mm

Only a few drawings of the 1mm Harwin socket series list the recommended pin
diameter being 1.05-0.9mm.
With 1.1mm tube base pins of th CV173 that's a tight fit, but doable I
guess.

Rgds,

Jan.

Robert Casey

Patrick wrote:

I want to solder cv 173 tubes directly in a circuit without using a socket.
The pins come straight out of the flat glass tube bottom.
It's impossible to solder a wire to the pins, even with the iron set to
450°C.

Can anyone tell me how should I do this? Sockets for these tube are very
rare and the tubes are high reliability, so socket not essential.

I've soldered directly to pins of 7 and 9 pin miniature tubes. But
first you need to use a
small "needle" file to remove the plating on the pins. Then tin the pins.

An alternate is to remove the contacts from some tube sockets that
you're willing to
destroy. Then create a new socket using circuit board material to hold
the contacts
in a pattern that will fit the tube.

Bob Hedberg

How about just getting some the enlosed connector type sockets and
pulling the pins out and sliding them on without a socket?

Robert Casey wrote:

Patrick wrote:

I want to solder cv 173 tubes directly in a circuit without using a socket.
The pins come straight out of the flat glass tube bottom.
It's impossible to solder a wire to the pins, even with the iron set to
450°C.

Can anyone tell me how should I do this? Sockets for these tube are very
rare and the tubes are high reliability, so socket not essential.

I've soldered directly to pins of 7 and 9 pin miniature tubes. But
first you need to use a
small "needle" file to remove the plating on the pins. Then tin the pins.

An alternate is to remove the contacts from some tube sockets that
you're willing to
destroy. Then create a new socket using circuit board material to hold
the contacts
in a pattern that will fit the tube.

Bob H.

Just grab that plate in one hand, the chassis in the other,
and FEEL the power of tube audio!!!
(not literally, of course, just kidding. DON'T DO THAT!)
Robert Casey

Bob Hedberg wrote:

How about just getting some the enlosed connector type sockets and
pulling the pins out and sliding them on without a socket?

That would work, though I'd be happier if the pins are held in place with a
piece of circuit board or some other insulating material. Otherwise the
mechanical slop with loose pins might allow them to short to adjacent
pins.

Robert Casey

Patrick wrote:

Steel won't be difficult to solder but it might lose its spring properties.
Any advise/ comments?

Try it, you'll immediately know if the springiness is changed or not. As
a test before you commit to using this idea. Springiness doesn't go
bad later on, it goes bad (if it actually will) immediately after the
soldering.

Tim Williams

"Patrick" wrote in message
e...
Steel won't be difficult to solder but it might lose its spring
properties. Any advise/ comments?

Springs are tempered at almost that temperature, so you're okay.
In fact it should be good to 600°F or so... not something you're likely
to reach in normal soldering.
Above that temp, it reduces the yield strength of the metal - reducing
the useful stretching range before it permanently bends.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

JKoning

"Patrick" schreef in bericht
e...
Soldering is impossible, spot-welding would require costly equipment

I tested the female contacts I took out of a Sub-D connector. They are of
the milled type, fit well and provide very low resistance as well.

I also plan to test miniature spring coils with a slightly lower internal
diameter than the pin diameter. I practiced this on a larger diameter and
they can be fitted by turning the springs on the pins in reverse direction
of the winding.
Steel won't be difficult to solder but it might lose its spring

properties.
Any advise/ comments?

Advise? Buy a socket....
Not difficult to get, see my post of 13-12-03.

Quote.
http://www.kent-electronics.nl/
Download PDF "Kent Gazette 09/2003" and have a look at page 7,
"buisvoeten", third line of the table, B9G.
Unquote.

Expensive? 4.55 Eurons each.

Rgds,
Jan.