The Open Sourceror's Apprentice

Default Looking for an optical to RCA audio Dolby 5.1 breakout

I'm trying to locate an inexpensive (meaning "no Flying Cow") device to break
out the optical 5.1 output from my DVD player to 5 separate RCA audio
connectors (not coax digital).

So far, all I have found is the outrageously priced Flying Cow profession D/A
converter from M-Audio/Avid.

Any suggestions? (Other than "get a new receiver." I don't relish trying to
retrain the wife yet again.)

--
Tired of spam in your mailbox?
Come to http://www.spamblocked.com
Cyrus

In article 47,
"The Open Sourceror's Apprentice" wrote:

I'm trying to locate an inexpensive (meaning "no Flying Cow") device to break
out the optical 5.1 output from my DVD player to 5 separate RCA audio
connectors (not coax digital).

So far, all I have found is the outrageously priced Flying Cow profession D/A
converter from M-Audio/Avid.

Any suggestions? (Other than "get a new receiver." I don't relish trying to
retrain the wife yet again.)

The Flying Cow has six analog rca outputs?

A receiver with preamp outputs or a surround preamp is IMO your only
bet. I believe there are a few dedicated solutions, but probably more
than you'd want to pay.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

The Open Sourceror's Apprentice

Cyrus wrote in
:

Any suggestions? (Other than "get a new receiver." I don't relish
trying to retrain the wife yet again.)

The Flying Cow has six analog rca outputs?

Maybe. ;-)

A receiver with preamp outputs or a surround preamp is IMO your only
bet. I believe there are a few dedicated solutions, but probably more
than you'd want to pay.

I think you're right. Now finding the preamp is the issue, but at least it's
a better-defined issue than it was yesterday. Thanks!

--
Tired of spam in your mailbox?
Come to http://www.spamblocked.com
Who is Brad Jesness? http://www.wilhelp.com/bj_faq/
To the spammers, my motto: FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC.
Kalman Rubinson

Do a little more searching as this is a recurrent topic. I have a
Technics SHA-C500D that would work and I understand that Yamaha,
Denon, JVC and others once made similar devices.

Kal

On 18 Jan 2005 18:00:04 GMT, "The Open Sourceror's Apprentice"
wrote:

Cyrus wrote in
: