Krick

Default How do I connect XLR microphone directly into Layla 20 balanced input?

I have a musician friend who wants to take the ouput from his
microphone (XLR) and feed it into a Layla 20 sound card with the least
amount of added electronics possible as he's trying to avoid coloring
the sound.

The microphone is XLR and requires phantom power.

The Layla 20 has 1/4 inch balanced (or unbalanced, if desired) inputs.

Is there some sort of "box" that will do what he wants?

Krick
John Washburn

"Krick" wrote:
I have a musician friend who wants to take the ouput from his
microphone (XLR) and feed it into a Layla 20 sound card with the least
amount of added electronics possible as he's trying to avoid coloring
the sound.

The microphone is XLR and requires phantom power.

The Layla 20 has 1/4 inch balanced (or unbalanced, if desired) inputs.

Is there some sort of "box" that will do what he wants?

A microphone preamp.

Try http://groups.google.com with "mic pre" as the limiter for some of the
thousands of discussions on this topic.

-jw

Bruno Putzeys

Tie pins 2 and 3 of the mic to a good 48V DC supply through 6.8k resistors.
The resistors should be matched to 1% or better. Then AC couple the mic
outputs to your converter inputs using between 1 and 10uF.
You may need to add protection diodes to the converter input to prevent the
coupling caps from discharging into the input when the mic is connected.
Otherwise you must be very careful to ramp up/down the 48V slowly (seconds)
before plugging/unplugging the mic.

om...