Robert Orban

Default low-rent 1/4" machines

A friend of mine wants to buy an economical used 2-track 1/4"
machine for digitizing jingles and commercials from old reel-reel
tapes. (He's in the broadcast business, and this stuff is history
to him.) These tapes may not be in good condition any more. He's
narrowed his choice down to the Technics RS-1520 or Otari MX-
5050BIII. Which would you recommend that he buy?

Rick Ruskin

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:17:38 -0800, Robert Orban
wrote:

A friend of mine wants to buy an economical used 2-track 1/4"
machine for digitizing jingles and commercials from old reel-reel
tapes. (He's in the broadcast business, and this stuff is history
to him.) These tapes may not be in good condition any more. He's
narrowed his choice down to the Technics RS-1520 or Otari MX-
5050BIII. Which would you recommend that he buy?

The Otari. I don't think parts are available for the Technics
machines anymore.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
Mark Spilberg

The Technics has an excellent transport, just make sure that the heads are
in good shape, and possibly have John French at JRF do some work for you.
All things considered I feel that the Technics is on of the better Open Reel
decks every manufactured.

Marko.

"Robert Orban" wrote in message
A friend of mine wants to buy an economical used 2-track 1/4"
machine for digitizing jingles and commercials from old reel-reel
tapes. (He's in the broadcast business, and this stuff is history
to him.) These tapes may not be in good condition any more. He's
narrowed his choice down to the Technics RS-1520 or Otari MX-
5050BIII. Which would you recommend that he buy?

Stephen Sank

Actually, you can still get new heads, motors & most other parts for the
Technics RS-1500/1506/1520/1700 decks, which are absolutely superb machines,
via Panasonic's excellent online ordering system. The only weakness of
these decks are that the permalloy heads are a bit softer than usual, so you
have to inspect for head wear when shopping a used deck. The Otari decks
are primitive by comparison, but may sound as good. However, the Technics
has the advantage of 3 speeds(3.75/7.5/15), so should prove more useful.
Both have extra Pb heads, so can play 1/2 & 1/4 track tapes.
I have both a Technics RS-1506(1/2trk rec/pb & 1/4trk pb) and an Otari
MX5050(forget the mk version) available for sale. The Technics' heads are
in excellent shape, and it's in it's original Anvil-type case, unfortunately
minus the lid.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
wrote:

A friend of mine wants to buy an economical used 2-track 1/4"
machine for digitizing jingles and commercials from old reel-reel
tapes. (He's in the broadcast business, and this stuff is history
to him.) These tapes may not be in good condition any more. He's
narrowed his choice down to the Technics RS-1520 or Otari MX-
5050BIII. Which would you recommend that he buy?

The Otari. I don't think parts are available for the Technics
machines anymore.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com

Phil Cibley

wrote:

A friend of mine wants to buy an economical used 2-track 1/4"
machine for digitizing jingles and commercials from old reel-reel
tapes. (He's in the broadcast business, and this stuff is history
to him.) These tapes may not be in good condition any more. He's
narrowed his choice down to the Technics RS-1520 or Otari MX-
5050BIII. Which would you recommend that he buy?

Definitely go with the 5050. Parts have not been available for the
Technics for years, and there are probably many more 5050s available
on the used market at low prices. The Technics isoloop transport may
have been slick, but the 5050 is a workhorse.
Phil Cibley

Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Robert Orban wrote:
A friend of mine wants to buy an economical used 2-track 1/4"
machine for digitizing jingles and commercials from old reel-reel
tapes. (He's in the broadcast business, and this stuff is history
to him.) These tapes may not be in good condition any more. He's
narrowed his choice down to the Technics RS-1520 or Otari MX-
5050BIII. Which would you recommend that he buy?

I'd tell him to buy a Revox A-77 since it is lighter and easier on tape
than either of those machines and has great playback electronics.

The RS-1520, though, has a hell of a good transport, one that isn't matched
by anything short of the ATR-100 for low flutter. And it's very good at
handling sticky tape too. The electronics are sort of doubtful, though,
and no fun at all to align.

The MX-5050 is easier to set up and align and it will stay aligned for
longer. But the transport isn't half as good as the Technics even though
the electronics are far better and MUCH easier to maintain.
The Cableguy

Hi Scott,

Scott Dorsey wrote in message
I'd tell him to buy a Revox A-77 since it is lighter and easier on tape
than either of those machines and has great playback electronics.

Can you actually get A-77's with 15ips? All I seem to come across lately is
just the 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips units.

Cheers :-)

Scott Dorsey

The Cableguy wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote in message
I'd tell him to buy a Revox A-77 since it is lighter and easier on tape
than either of those machines and has great playback electronics.

Can you actually get A-77's with 15ips? All I seem to come across lately is
just the 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips units.

Yes, and you _want_ the 7.5/15ips version, because doing the conversion
properly requires replacing the motor and the capstan assembly as well as
changing the time constants. (You can do it with the low speed motor and
drill new holes in the brackets but it's no fun and it's not recommended).

You could order them with half or quarter track heads, or even full track
mono heads, and with either of the two speed pairs. It's possible to do
conversions between configurations but it's not worth the time and money
these days for such an inexpensive machine.
ScotFraser

The RS-1520, though, has a hell of a good transport, one that isn't matched
by anything short of the ATR-100 for low flutter. And it's very good at
handling sticky tape too. The electronics are sort of doubtful, though,
and no fun at all to align.

I'm convinced the RS1520 was designed by a guy whose wife was seduced by a
repair tech. Biggest pain in the ass analog machine I've ever been inside, lots
of disassembly required to get to things that need ongoing maintenance.

Scott Fraser

EggHd

I'm convinced the RS1520 was designed by a guy whose wife was seduced by a
repair tech.

I've had a 1500 for almost 20 years and found it to be the "best" machine for
my needs. I have never been unhappy with it.

---------------------------------------
EggHd

Yes, but have you ever tried to do something seemingly simple, like get to
the
back of the record level pots to shoot some pot cleaner inside?

No. I always keep it covered. But I could see that as a major pain.

---------------------------------------
Bob Olhsson

In article , Rick Ruskin
wrote:

I don't think parts are available for the Technics
machines anymore.

True however I understand working machines are very common on e-bay.

The Technics is easier on tape and has lower flutter. It's also a
consumer machine and lot less likely to have had the crap beat out of
it.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery Recording Project Design and Consulting
Box 90412, Nashville TN 37209 Tracking, Mixing, Mastering, Audio for Picture
Stephen Sank

Default low-rent 1/4" machines(Technics parts are available, damn it)

Again, I say "not true!" about parts availability on the Technics decks. If
you go to http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/epartr/ & search by model on
RS1506US, you'll get a long list, including all heads, motors, reel tables,
etc. of available parts to order right there online. The RS1520 list is
short, for some reason, but virtually all 1506 parts, including heads, are
identical.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
http://stephensank.com
5517 Carmelita Drive N.E.
Albuquerque, New Mexico [87111]