Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default free mp3 host, no registration?

I have an audio file I want to share with others and I'm wondering where
I can freely post it without registering? Thank you.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/16/2019 11:25 AM, JBI wrote:
I have an audio file I want to share with others and I'm wondering where
I can freely post it without registering?Â* Thank you.

Good luck with that. How can someone sue you for the tiniest possible
copyright violation if they don't know how to find you?

If it's just for a sharing with a few people that you know, I'd suggest
a Dropbox account. You do need to register but as far as I can tell it's
never brought me any spam. The protection that you get is that you only
need to give the download link to people who you know. Of course you
could post the download link publicly, but that opens doors that you
might not want opened.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] joe@mich.com is offline

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 13:09:41 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote:

On 4/16/2019 11:25 AM, JBI wrote:
I have an audio file I want to share with others and I'm wondering where
I can freely post it without registering?* Thank you.

Good luck with that. How can someone sue you for the tiniest possible
copyright violation if they don't know how to find you?

If it's just for a sharing with a few people that you know, I'd suggest
a Dropbox account. You do need to register but as far as I can tell it's
never brought me any spam. The protection that you get is that you only
need to give the download link to people who you know. Of course you
could post the download link publicly, but that opens doors that you
might not want opened.

Zip it then put it on dropbox.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 4/16/19 1:09 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/16/2019 11:25 AM, JBI wrote:
I have an audio file I want to share with others and I'm wondering
where I can freely post it without registering?Â* Thank you.

Good luck with that. How can someone sue you for the tiniest possible
copyright violation if they don't know how to find you?

Even for a broadcast recorded off of shortwave radio??

If it's just for a sharing with a few people that you know, I'd suggest
a Dropbox account. You do need to register but as far as I can tell it's
never brought me any spam. The protection that you get is that you only
need to give the download link to people who you know. Of course you
could post the download link publicly, but that opens doors that you
might not want opened.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/16/2019 1:42 PM, JBI wrote:
Good luck with that. How can someone sue you for the tiniest possible
copyright violation if they don't know how to find you?

Even for a broadcast recorded off of shortwave radio??

You never can tell. The broadcaster, if he finds you, may consider this
to be distribution without permission. But my answer to your real
question (is there an audio-hosting place where you don't have to
register) remains the same. I don't know of one.

What's your problem with registering?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 4/16/19 1:48 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/16/2019 1:42 PM, JBI wrote:
Good luck with that. How can someone sue you for the tiniest possible
copyright violation if they don't know how to find you?

Even for a broadcast recorded off of shortwave radio??

You never can tell. The broadcaster, if he finds you, may consider this
to be distribution without permission. But my answer to your real
question (is there an audio-hosting place where you don't have to
register) remains the same. I don't know of one.

What's your problem with registering?

I was going to share a portion of a US time station government broadcast
on a forum. My issue with registering is that I've only shared such
material one other time in like 15 years, so really not worth the time
to register. However, if there really are issues as you say, perhaps
I'll just forget the whole thing. It's really not that important, it's
just that US time stations came somewhat close to going off the air this
year, due to budget and other cuts. My idea was to post a couple of
samples so folks might archive the data in the event the station does go
off the air. In a few years, today's youth will probably have never
heard of shortwave, let alone a "time station", so perhaps the samples I
posted could be utilized by others for a future demo.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , JBI wrote:
I was going to share a portion of a US time station government broadcast
on a forum. My issue with registering is that I've only shared such
material one other time in like 15 years, so really not worth the time
to register. However, if there really are issues as you say, perhaps
I'll just forget the whole thing. It's really not that important, it's
just that US time stations came somewhat close to going off the air this
year, due to budget and other cuts. My idea was to post a couple of
samples so folks might archive the data in the event the station does go
off the air. In a few years, today's youth will probably have never
heard of shortwave, let alone a "time station", so perhaps the samples I
posted could be utilized by others for a future demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CpsPgXyIm8

is the future!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/16/2019 1:57 PM, JBI wrote:
US time stations came somewhat close to going off the air this year, due
to budget and other cuts.Â* My idea was to post a couple of samples so
folks might archive the data in the event the station does go off the air.

WWV got a reprieve? I thought they were destined to shut down this year,
which would have been their 100th anniversary. One of the sounds of my
youth, and you could tune your guitar to the 440 Hz tone they broadcast
if you caught its once-an-hour cycle a couple of minutes after the top
of the hour.

I suppose it is a piece of aural history, if it actually becomes history.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 4/16/19 3:44 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/16/2019 1:57 PM, JBI wrote:
US time stations came somewhat close to going off the air this year,
due to budget and other cuts.Â* My idea was to post a couple of samples
so folks might archive the data in the event the station does go off
the air.

WWV got a reprieve? I thought they were destined to shut down this year,
which would have been their 100th anniversary. One of the sounds of my
youth, and you could tune your guitar to the 440 Hz tone they broadcast
if you caught its once-an-hour cycle a couple of minutes after the top
of the hour.

I suppose it is a piece of aural history, if it actually becomes history.

I used to hear both stations WWV & WWVH when I had an antenna system.
The trick was to wait until propagation conditions were just right to
hear the simultaneous broadcasts.

With online SDR's, acquiring excellent signals from both stations was a
no brainer, then I used Audacity to mix and time match the stations
simultaneously, the way I used to hear them.

More than once in the past I used either WWV or CHU Canada to calibrate
receivers. I will miss the stations should they go off the air. As far
as I know, at least CHU still isn't going anywhere.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/16/2019, I wrote:
You never can tell. The broadcaster, if he finds you, may consider this
to be distribution without permission.

Having gone down the rabbit hole, I suspect that there is real ownership
involved. The voices making the announcements are commissioned by the
company who makes the drum playback device that provides the audio for
the time announcements. The government doesn't own that machine, they
lease it. That means it doesn't fall under the public domain or free use
rules.

WWVH (Hawaii) uses the same voice as the telephone company in Hawaii
(they also lease it), and the voice for the WWV machine is (reported to
be) the president of the company who leases the audio playback system.

More of the story at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM2osLTMf2I

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 4/16/19 4:02 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/16/2019, I wrote:
You never can tell. The broadcaster, if he finds you, may consider
this to be distribution without permission.

Having gone down the rabbit hole, I suspect that there is real ownership
involved. The voices making the announcements are commissioned by the
company who makes the drum playback device that provides the audio for
the time announcements. The government doesn't own that machine, they
lease it. That means it doesn't fall under the public domain or free use
rules.

WWVH (Hawaii) uses the same voice as the telephone company in Hawaii
(they also lease it), and the voice for the WWV machine is (reported to
be) the president of the company who leases the audio playback system.

More of the story at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM2osLTMf2I

Yes, I came across that info yesterday. I think that, just to be safe,
I won't post any recordings. Thanks for your thoughts.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 4/16/2019 1:42 PM, JBI wrote:
Good luck with that. How can someone sue you for the tiniest
possible copyright violation if they don't know how to find you?

Even for a broadcast recorded off of shortwave radio??

You never can tell. The broadcaster, if he finds you, may consider
this to be distribution without permission. But my answer to your real
question (is there an audio-hosting place where you don't have to
register) remains the same. I don't know of one.

What's your problem with registering?

I was going to share a portion of a US time station government broadcast
on a forum.Â* My issue with registering is that I've only shared such
material one other time in like 15 years, so really not worth the time
to register.

You have already spent many times the 'time to register' here asking !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

I have a dropbox account. Whenever I try to use it with someone who does not have a dropbox account, they always tell me that clicking on the link takes them to a page where they are told they HAVE to sign up. They don't want to. I don't blame them, I have spoken to Dropbox about it and they are clueless or just don't ****ing care.

More and more I use www.wetransfer.com. You can send up to 2 GB for free. NO registration. Add your files, attach recipient emails, add a message, hit send.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

On 4/16/2019 10:25 AM, JBI wrote:
I have an audio file I want to share with others and I'm wondering where I can
freely post it without registering?Â* Thank you.

Well if you weren't using a text only news server I'd suggest a low traffic binary
news group. In any case I wouldn't worry about it I'm sure the internet police
already have your real name and location.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 4/18/19 5:41 AM, gray_wolf wrote:
On 4/16/2019 10:25 AM, JBI wrote:
I have an audio file I want to share with others and I'm wondering
where I can freely post it without registering?Â* Thank you.

Well if you weren't using a text only news server I'd suggest a low
traffic binary
news group. In any case I wouldn't worry about it I'm sure the internet
police
already have your real name and location.

Well, as I already indicated, even though a public broadcast, some of
the equipment they lease to produce the time voicing so, not knowing the
full extent of any possible legal issues, I opted not to take the action
I originally posted about.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 11:25:44 AM UTC-4, JBI wrote:
I have an audio file I want to share with others and I'm wondering where
I can freely post it without registering? Thank you.

Google Drive.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 11:47:54 PM UTC-4, Brassplyer wrote:
On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 11:25:44 AM UTC-4, JBI wrote:
I have an audio file I want to share with others and I'm wondering where
I can freely post it without registering? Thank you.

Google Drive.

Btw, that's the name of a free place to store things that Google provides, not an admonition to "Google" the term drive.