Jonathan Wolfson

Default Guitar to Computer

Hi all,

Can someone tell me how to get the guitar to the computer? Right now I
have a port that goes from my guitar to the amplifier, but it is a
thick plug, about one centimeter in diameter! I have no inputs on my
computer that are that big, only inputs that are the size of headphone
plugs! I need some device to enable a big plug to enter a little
socket. Can someone please help me? I want to play guitar onto my
computer without having to tape record myself.

Thanks,

Jonathan
James Nipper

Go to Radio Shack and ask them for an adaptor to adapt your guitar plug
(take it with you if you can) to the input of your soundcard (usually a
1/8 inch audio plug). They will find the right adaptor for you.

--James--

Geoff Wood

"James Nipper" wrote in message

Go to Radio Shack and ask them for an adaptor to adapt your guitar plug
(take it with you if you can) to the input of your soundcard (usually a
1/8 inch audio plug). They will find the right adaptor for you.

No they won't becasue it doesn't exist. You guitar needs a preamp with the
right (very high) input impedence, and gain to put the signal up to 'Line
In' level suitable for your soundcard input.

Suggest you buy a guitar mag, or cumputer music mag to get acquainted with
relevant products and techniques.

geoff

Alun P

Most guitar amps have either a line out, DI out or headphone socket, any can
be used to link directly into a sound card with the relevant adapter to
match the input on the card.

I have actually played direct into my sound card straight from a guitar
although you will lose any effects your amp provides, and used the 'input'
gain on a program such as Sonar or Audition to balance the input.

I use an Audigy card now with the external connections box (what ever it is
called) which has a selection of inputs with an input gain
control......perfect.

if you need an amp for sound corrections such as O/d etc and there is no
output from your amp (some Marshalls have nothing) then mic it up and pur
that into your sound card.

AlunP

manoutoftime

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message ...
"James Nipper" wrote in message

Go to Radio Shack and ask them for an adaptor to adapt your guitar plug
(take it with you if you can) to the input of your soundcard (usually a
1/8 inch audio plug). They will find the right adaptor for you.

No they won't becasue it doesn't exist. You guitar needs a preamp with the
right (very high) input impedence, and gain to put the signal up to 'Line
In' level suitable for your soundcard input.

Suggest you buy a guitar mag, or cumputer music mag to get acquainted with
relevant products and techniques.

geoff

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one- A 1/4 inch
(standard guitar plug size) to 1/8 inch (headphone jack size) adaptor
does indeed exist- I've got one. As James suggested, get thee to Radio
Shack, and tell them what you need. Depending on your soundcard, you
may need a preamp, but you should be able to get along without one. Of
course, the best thing to do would be to get a soundcard that's
designed for it (soundblaster audigy 2 platinum or something high
end), which has the 1/4 inch input, but I've done recording with an
adaptor into the line in, and it's worked fine.
Ricky W. Hunt

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

"James Nipper" wrote in message

Go to Radio Shack and ask them for an adaptor to adapt your guitar plug
(take it with you if you can) to the input of your soundcard (usually a
1/8 inch audio plug). They will find the right adaptor for you.

You can find the proper connecters to physically hook it up but it will
probably sound like crap. You really need a direct box or preamp (something
like a Guitar Port of J-Station would be even better).

Jonathan Wolfson

I forgot to mention that I am using an acoustic with pickup, so there
is sound intrinsicaslly from the guitar, unlike an electric, which
needs to be amplified. I suppose I'll just buy the .25 - .125 inch
adapter so I can plug my acoustic guitar into my sound card.

"Alun P" alun.priddle@NOSPAMblueyonderDOTcoDOTuk wrote in message . uk...
Most guitar amps have either a line out, DI out or headphone socket, any can
be used to link directly into a sound card with the relevant adapter to
match the input on the card.

I have actually played direct into my sound card straight from a guitar
although you will lose any effects your amp provides, and used the 'input'
gain on a program such as Sonar or Audition to balance the input.

I use an Audigy card now with the external connections box (what ever it is
called) which has a selection of inputs with an input gain
control......perfect.

if you need an amp for sound corrections such as O/d etc and there is no
output from your amp (some Marshalls have nothing) then mic it up and pur
that into your sound card.

AlunP

Paul Stamler

"Jonathan Wolfson" wrote in message
I forgot to mention that I am using an acoustic with pickup, so there
is sound intrinsicaslly from the guitar, unlike an electric, which
needs to be amplified. I suppose I'll just buy the .25 - .125 inch
adapter so I can plug my acoustic guitar into my sound card.

If it's a piezo pickup rather than magnetic, with no preamp inside the
guitar, it's likely to sound really, really bad. Most sound cards have an
input impedance, on the line input, of about 10 kilohms, or 10k. Piezo
pickups prefer to be loaded by at least 100x that, 1 megohm or more. They
sound thin and distorted into lower impedances.

On the other hand, if there's a preamp built into the guitar (you can tell
because it needs a battery), you may get good results.

Peace,
Paul

Len Moskowitz

Jonathan Wolfson wrote:

Can someone tell me how to get the guitar to the computer? Right now I
have a port that goes from my guitar to the amplifier, but it is a
thick plug, about one centimeter in diameter! I have no inputs on my
computer that are that big, only inputs that are the size of headphone
plugs! I need some device to enable a big plug to enter a little
socket. Can someone please help me? I want to play guitar onto my
computer without having to tape record myself.

Have a look at the M-Audio FastTrack USB:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...kUSB-main.html

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Fiona

"Jonathan Wolfson" wrote

Can someone tell me how to get the guitar to the computer? Right now I
have a port that goes from my guitar to the amplifier, but it is a
thick plug, about one centimeter in diameter! I have no inputs on my
computer that are that big, only inputs that are the size of headphone
plugs! I need some device to enable a big plug to enter a little
socket. Can someone please help me? I want to play guitar onto my
computer without having to tape record myself.

I've only just found this newsgroup, so pardon me folks for not lurking a
while before jumping in.

Jonatan, I plug my guitar and bass directly into the mic input on my laptop
(running Sonic Foundry's Acid and Sound Forge), works fine, even with
pedals! The only problem is having to keep the volume pot(s) on the guitar
down near zero instead of cranked up to full. This and no amp means you will
be getting a sound that's very different to your usual "live" sound, but if
all you are doing is sketching ideas, working stuff out, or making rough
demos it's great. Don't let techie purists baffle you with science, all you
need is a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch jack converter that'll cost only pennies
(most of these are stereo but not worry they'll still work). Sure, you won't
get the best results in the world, but it doesn't sound like you need those
yet, seems to me you just want to get up and running.

Fiona

Ra

"Len Moskowitz" wrote

Have a look at the M-Audio FastTrack USB:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...kUSB-main.html

That would work.

A preamp should also work ( combined with your new adaptor cord )

You may still have a crappy integrated soundcard though.
In that case, you can get this:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...4&loc=101&sp=1

I have it. It works well.

--
best regards,
Ra

http://surfpick.com
~ The missing link - in your musical evolution ~

Geoff Wood

"manoutoftime" wrote in message
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one- A 1/4 inch
(standard guitar plug size) to 1/8 inch (headphone jack size) adaptor
does indeed exist- I've got one.

The physical plug exists. The function you are asking it to perform
doesn't.

If he's lucky, his pickup may have a preamp of sorts , and the results won't
be quite as bad.

geoff

Scott Saarinen

I had pretty good luck using the 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor, and Revalver. Not
ideal due to the slight lag induced by the PC, but got some great tones out
of it.

http://www.alienconnections.com/downloads.htm#ReValver

"manoutoftime" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Slim

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:48:45 -0000, "Fiona"
wrote:

Jonatan, I plug my guitar and bass directly into the mic input on my laptop
(running Sonic Foundry's Acid and Sound Forge), works fine, even with
pedals! The only problem is having to keep the volume pot(s) on the guitar
down near zero instead of cranked up to full.

That's because you're overloading the mic preamp, which is way too hot for
guitar. I bet it sounds like crap, too, right?

Don't let techie purists baffle you with science,

Maybe to you, trying to do something the right way is "baffling techie science";
but all these posters are trying to do is give some advice that works, without
spending an arm & a leg.

Neither the soundcard's mic jack or line-in jack is suitable for plugging a
guitar straight in. One's too hot, the other's just the opposite. There needs to
be a suitable interface, and my vote goes to a cheap mixer like a Behringer,
that can be had for under $80, and this'll give the necessary level & EQ
adjustments. You can get a Direct Box for $30 or less, which you need if your
guitar has no preamp, or if you're going to use an electric with normal
(passive) pickups. There - around $100 and you're all set with something that
sounds good now and you can build on later.

Sure, you won't
get the best results in the world, but it doesn't sound like you need those
yet, seems to me you just want to get up and running.

Uninspiring, crap sound is a huge handicap to starting out.

Fiona

"Slim" wrote
"Fiona" wrote:

Jonatan, I plug my guitar and bass directly into the mic input on my

laptop
(running Sonic Foundry's Acid and Sound Forge), works fine, even with
pedals! The only problem is having to keep the volume pot(s) on the

guitar
down near zero instead of cranked up to full.

That's because you're overloading the mic preamp, which is way too hot for
guitar. I bet it sounds like crap, too, right?

Hot? Feels cools to me. Sounds fine for a clean Jazzy sound, overdriven is
more complicated, but a couple of pedals sorts that out.

Don't let techie purists baffle you with science,

Maybe to you, trying to do something the right way is "baffling techie

science";

The right way? There's no such thing. There's the cheapest way, and there's
the most expensive way, there's the quick way and there's the drawn out way,
and loads of other ways too. After 16 years in IT and 30 years in music, I
know for a fact that the more layers of complexity the more troublesome
setting up and running, and the truism of "what can go wrong, will go wrong"
cannot be ignored. Therefore, it is my opinion and recommendation that
Jonathan starts with the cheapest and simplest solution (1/4" to 1/8" jack
converter) to get up and running. And he then works his was up from that as
he experiments, by doing so he will figure out what he want's to achieve and
he'll learn what the problems and possible solutions are.

but all these posters are trying to do is give some advice that works,

without
spending an arm & a leg.

Fine, my solution works too (I use it every day) and it costs around one
dollar, you recommend he splashes out $100 or so, maybe he has sufficient
disposable income, I don't know, but I do know he can be up and running for
less than the price of a can of Coke in the time it has taken me to type
this responce.

Neither the soundcard's mic jack or line-in jack is suitable for plugging

guitar straight in. One's too hot, the other's just the opposite. There

needs to
be a suitable interface, and my vote goes to a cheap mixer like a

Behringer,
that can be had for under $80, and this'll give the necessary level & EQ
adjustments. You can get a Direct Box for $30 or less, which you need if

your
guitar has no preamp, or if you're going to use an electric with normal
(passive) pickups.

My bass has passive pickups, and I get a great sound into my laptop, better
in fact than through my amp.

There - around $100 and you're all set with something that
sounds good now and you can build on later.

Sure, you won't
get the best results in the world, but it doesn't sound like you need

those
yet, seems to me you just want to get up and running.

Uninspiring, crap sound is a huge handicap to starting out.

Agreed, but so is messing around with ever increasing levels of complexity
and miles of cabling, specially when all you want to do is hear your
*musical* ideas coming back at you. Too many musicians get bogged down with
sound engineering when all they want to do is develop their music -
sometimes a simpler but inferior technical solution produces a superior
musical idea by freeing the mind of technical burdens.

Fiona

Ian Iveson

"Paul Stamler" wrote
On the other hand, if there's a preamp built into the guitar (you

can tell
because it needs a battery), you may get good results.

I have a preamp built into my guitar and it still sounds crap.

But my cheap soundblaster has a microphone input, with high gain and
presumably high impedance. I can use that just as well with the
guitar pre switched out. Still sounds crap, but its an electric
guitar, so it needs effects. An electro-acoustic may be OK

The problem with an adapter is that it puts a lot of leverage and
weight onto a small and poorly-supported socket not meant for the
job. Trip up on your guitar cable once and the card could be
wrecked.

In the end, to avoid overloading the weedy line input, and to avoid
the low-fi and noisy mic input, I record from the guitar preamp flat
with no effects into the line input, and add the effects in
software. I use a foot of thin coax originally bonded to a 1/8 plug
for the soundcard connection. On the other end of this is a 1/4 jack
socket for the guitar, gaffer-taped to the top of the computer.

cheers, Ian

Bryson

"Alun P" alun.priddle@NOSPAMblueyonderDOTcoDOTuk wrote in message . uk...
Most guitar amps have either a line out, DI out or headphone socket, any can
be used to link directly into a sound card with the relevant adapter to
match the input on the card.

Gosh I'm old.
Well...my twenty or so amps are anyway.

But yeah......get a preamp.....even an MXR Micro Amp.

Another "Look-alike" Lawsuit Mike Rivers Pro Audio 35 March 15th 04 04:52 PM
Mic Questions Twist Turner Pro Audio 22 November 25th 03 03:04 AM
Guitar to computer = Preamp? cm Pro Audio 3 September 29th 03 11:15 AM
Shure SM57-LC and the computer (and guitar amp) burke Pro Audio 22 August 20th 03 06:32 PM
FA: Complete Car Computer - MP3, WMA, GPS, Auto PC Victor Car Audio 0 July 12th 03 05:32 AM