Brian Barnson

Default Left speaker dropping out internittently

Hi All
I've been having a problem with my left speaker dropping out periodically,
with no apparent rhyme or reason or pattern. It happens when I'm playing
CDs or DVDs. Yesterday I got clever, waited for it to drop out, and
switched back and forth between CD and Phono. Left channel worked on Phono,
not on CD. This seems to isolate the problem in the CD player, or does it?
Are there separate input circuits to confuse the issue? I've wiggled all
the connections and they seem secure. The receiver is a Technics SA-GX550
that I've had for 8 or 10 years. The DVD player is a JVC XV-N4
that's about a year old.
(the vinyl was the Paul Butterfield Band-"In My Own Dream")
Any insight will be appreciated.
Brian, in Cedar