Default no sound from speakers....

I have audio system setup installed by prof... 4-5 years working great
with no problems Then I turn on the receiver last night and no sound.
I "fixed" the problem that night. (wire connection ) I stripped the
wire for new connections and everything was working dvd, radio, vcr
etc.... Now 24 hours later the same problem no sound from speakers.
this time I reconnected the wires. It works for the moment.
Some suggestions would be great,
is the wire? change it? guage etc.
Thanks

A novice in over my head.

Barry Mann

In . com, on 11/24/04
at 08:16 AM, said:

I have audio system setup installed by prof... 4-5 years working great
with no problems Then I turn on the receiver last night and no sound.
I "fixed" the problem that night. (wire connection ) I stripped the
wire for new connections and everything was working dvd, radio, vcr
etc.... Now 24 hours later the same problem no sound from speakers.
this time I reconnected the wires. It works for the moment. Some
suggestions would be great,
is the wire? change it? guage etc.
Thanks

There should be no possibility that the bare portion of the speaker
wires can touch each other.

A common mistake that I see is that too much insulation is removed at
the ends of the wires. The situation can be stable for years ... then
the system is moved (perhaps for cleaning or painting) and the wires
short.

Some speaker terminals can be a pain. You should be able to gently tug
on the speaker wires without pulling them out of the connectors.

In older equipment there can be a problem with the speaker protection
relay that will give similar symptoms. It's a physical problem that may
temporarily "cure" when the unit is moved. If this is the case, turning
the unit around and spreading mustard on the back or slapping the unit
with the flat of your hand may work as well as tinkering with the
speaker wires. If the speaker relay is at fault, briefly (for a
fraction of a second) turning the volume up to a very loud level will
usually cause the same temporary repair.

If the bare wire portion of the speaker wire looks dark and crusty,
clip the bare ends, strip some insulation and expose a clean section of
bare wire.

spam:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

jakdedert

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
om...
In . com, on 11/24/04
at 08:16 AM, said:

[...]

Also consider that speaker wires run through the walls could have been
damaged by some event like hanging a picture or shelf....

jak