Karl Uppiano

Default Silicon vs. Germanium (was Heil Omega 400 transistors)

http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/company/...oduction.shtml
gives one look at the question - it's a 1954 press release about
silicon transistors.

Interesting link. I enjoyed the term "triode transistor". They were still
thinking in terms of vacuum tubes in those days, weren't they?

Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 02:08:59 GMT, "Karl Uppiano"
wrote:

http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/company/...oduction.shtml
gives one look at the question - it's a 1954 press release about
silicon transistors.

Interesting link. I enjoyed the term "triode transistor". They were still
thinking in terms of vacuum tubes in those days, weren't they?

Nope, they were thinking in terms of correct semantics. A transistor
has three electrodes, hence it *is* a triode, just like its vacuum
tube predecessor. The term was later dropped because almost all
transistors are triodes, hence there isn't the need for additional
descriptors thatyou have with vacuum tubes.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:31:12 GMT, "Karl Uppiano"
wrote:

I wonder what it was that made silicon win out over germanium in solid state
technology. Back in the '60s, we used to see a lot of germanium transistors.
Germanium has a lower p-n drop (0.2 volts vs. 0.6 for silicon) which could
theoretically reduce power dissipation. In the late '70s and early '80s,
there was a rectifier company that was making germanium rectifiers for power
supplies because they were more efficient.

So, what are the properties of silicon that make it superior to germanium?
Easier to fabricate?
More reliable?
Higher power/current capability?
Less temperature sensitive?
cheaper/more plentiful?

All of the above! :-)

Principally however, it was the max junction temperature of about 200
degrees Celsius, rather than the 85 of germanium, which made the
difference. As we used to say in the '60s, geraniums wilt! If you need
a high efficiency diode, you'd now use a Schottky, which combines low
forward drop with high temperature capability.

Karl Uppiano

wrote:

http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/company/...oduction.shtml
gives one look at the question - it's a 1954 press release about
silicon transistors.

Interesting link. I enjoyed the term "triode transistor". They were still
thinking in terms of vacuum tubes in those days, weren't they?

Nope, they were thinking in terms of correct semantics. A transistor
has three electrodes, hence it *is* a triode, just like its vacuum
tube predecessor. The term was later dropped because almost all
transistors are triodes, hence there isn't the need for additional
descriptors thatyou have with vacuum tubes.

That's what I was getting at. They hadn't gotten around to realizing yet
that transistors were only going to have three legs for the next 50-odd
years. Unlike tubes, n-odes weren't going to be much of a distinguishing
factor.

Once we really got into it, we started referring to them by polarity and
type (e.g., NPN vs. PNP, BJT vs. FET, JFET vs. MOSFET, even a short flurry
of activity with UJTs, an odd bird that was hyped up all over Electronics
Illustrated, but that I don't see much of any more). I have only seen a few
dual-gate MOSFETS, which were four-terminal devices (tetrodes, I guess),
used as multipliers in superhet detectors. Oh, and those dual-emitter things
used in TTL logic gates.

Don Pearce

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 08:18:12 GMT, "Karl Uppiano"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

This is all good stuff apart from the tetrode comparison. In fact a
JFET is a pretty good match for a tetrode - it just doesn't need the
fourth terminal, which in the tetrode is really for mopping up lost
electrons that otherwise float around under certain anode voltage
conditions.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Karl Uppiano

wrote:

[...]

I agree JFETs are 3-terminal devices that have tetrode tube-like
characteristics, but tetra means four, which is where the tube got it's
name. So it depends if you go by behavior or by semantics. What to choose,
what to choose...

Mike

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 08:18:12 GMT, Karl Uppiano wrote:

Once we really got into it, we started referring to them by polarity and
type (e.g., NPN vs. PNP, BJT vs. FET, JFET vs. MOSFET, even a short flurry
of activity with UJTs, an odd bird that was hyped up all over Electronics
Illustrated, but that I don't see much of any more). I have only seen a few
dual-gate MOSFETS, which were four-terminal devices (tetrodes, I guess),
used as multipliers in superhet detectors. Oh, and those dual-emitter things
used in TTL logic gates.

In the integrated-circuit world, multiple emitter and multiple collector
devices are very common (especially in older processes), since it's so easy
to make them. I used to regularly build devices with five or six emitters
or collectors. Functionally, multiple emitter/collector devices are
generally the same as the same number of individual transistors in
parallel, but the combined device often takes considerably less space on an
IC.

-- Mike --
Dave Platt

In article ,
Mike wrote:

In the integrated-circuit world, multiple emitter and multiple collector
devices are very common (especially in older processes), since it's so easy
to make them. I used to regularly build devices with five or six emitters
or collectors. Functionally, multiple emitter/collector devices are
generally the same as the same number of individual transistors in
parallel, but the combined device often takes considerably less space on an
IC.

Multiple-emitter transistors, with built-in ballast resistors
connected to each emitter, are also used for RF applications. The
parallelism and internal ballasting make the transistors quite a bit
more rugged, and able to survive heavy or mismatched loads (e.g.
shorted or open outputs) than would be the case for a single-emitter
transistor having the same current-drive capacity.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO